Peter Case - "I Ain't Gonna Worry No More"

Bill Holmes

May 25, 2013, 10:44:26 AM5/25/13
to Humboldt Organizer

(below lyrics are from Peter Case's website.  In the live performance above he omits verses 2,3, 4 and 11 and the chorus is phrased a bit differently than what is printed but you will get it, its easy.   Great song.

I Ain't Gonna Worry No More

barefeet poppin' on a pinewood floor
a tumblerush of desert flowers side the door
her music box is pretty with the piebald stripes
dust mote diamonds in a shaft of light

C'MON DOWN I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE
everybody's laughin' now it won't be long
we've seen a lot of troubles now the ghost is gone
I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE

I was waitin at the depot for a London train
tryin' to  paint a picture in the pourin' rain
hangin' out the window runnin' out of blue
tomcat in the alley dodged a worn out shoe

C'MON DOWN I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE
everybody's laughin' now it won't be long
we've seen a lot of troubles now the ghost is gone
I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE

open farmhouse window with a cooling pie
fanned out on the breeze aroma called me nigh
I grabbed the dish & runnin kept the right hand road
crossin open country with my shoulder bowed

C'MON DOWN I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE
everybody's laughin' now it won't be long
we've seen a lot of troubles now the ghost is gone
I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE

I can hardly remember  I can almost recall
the first gig we played at the old moose hall
Larry on bass Lloyd on tubs
down in the catacombs  before we took drugs

C'MON DOWN I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE
everybody's laughin' now it won't be long
we've seen a lot of troubles now the ghost is gone
I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE

he fourteen dressed in his fathers hat
even grew a little mustache just like that
told  the crazy lady at the corner shop
I'll take a pack of camels & a bottle of schnapps

C'MON DOWN I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE
everybody's laughin' now it won't be long
we've seen a lot of troubles now the ghost is gone
I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE

back then they had a war that weren' t no good
everybody said they'd do what they could
some went to canada some went down
with  the FBI to the jail downtown

C'MON DOWN I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE
I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE

bananas are cheap that's united fruit
    they cut off labor unions at the root
murdered the tribes to clear the way
    for the puppet government & CIA

C'MON DOWN...

hear the roar of jets comin' over the park
    the glow of last cigerettes  in the dark
do yr bones turn to water? does the sky turn black?
    caught at ground zero in a missle attack

C'MON DOWN I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE

when I walked by a theater
       with a shining sign
said, 'Lightnin' Hopkins
       playing here tonight'
paid my last three bucks & went inside
& there he was in the big spotlight, singin'

C'MON DOWN I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE
everybody's laughin' now it won't be long
we've seen a lot of troubles now the ghost is gone
I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE

she's the sweetest woman that I've ever known
if I die tomorrow 'for I turn to stone
I'll close my eyes travel back in time
23rd & mission walkin side by side

C'MON DOWN I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE
everybody's laughin' now it won't be long
we've seen a lot of troubles now the ghost is gone
I AIN'T GONNA WORRY NO MORE

born beneath a wandering star
never thought I'd get this far
I may be cracked but its just as well
my ears are ringing like the liberty bell

from the album 'Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John/ Yep Roc Records
©2007 Peter Case Trumpet Blast Music/ Bug Music BMI