Pushing for a Social Network Users' Bill of Rights at CFP

Harry Waisbren

Jun 13, 2010, 11:46:22 PM6/13/10
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com, senatorobama-pleasevoteagainstfisa

RT @cfpconf: It’s time for a Social Network Users’ #BillOfRights http://is.gd/cEYpi

As excited as I am about representing the Get FISA Right community at the Activism and Social Networking: Advocating for Online Privacy panel, I am particularly looking forward to helping prove that the Computers Freedom and Privacy conference really is the perfect place to create aSocial Network Users’ #BillOfRights.

Over the course of the conference, we’ll collaboratively draft a proposed Social network users’ bill of rights and circulate it broadly online for discussion and feedback. Panels like Privacy and Free Speech: it’s good for businessPrivacy choices online, and Can an app do that? discuss the underlying issues, and the Unconference on Wednesday provides an opportunity to explore specific topics in more detail. We’re also adding a session to focus specifically on the bill of rights (probably on Tuesday afternoon); details TBD.

In a Birds of a Feather session Thursday night, we’ll finalize the wording, and ask for help translating it into different languages and posting it throughout the blogophere as well as on Facebook, MySpace, Yahoo!, tribe.net, Buzz, and elsewhere for discussion. At the Friday afternoon plenary, Professor Dorothy Glancy will lead a session of debate and voting, streamed live over the internet with a Twitter backchannel.

So what rights do you think social network users should have, and what would you do to achieve them?

If you would like to help out, you can start by:

I’m heading out to Silicon Valley tomorrow for the conference, and will be back with more details and updates on all of this! Stay tuned…

---Harry

--
Harry Waisbren

Community Manager for Qworky