please sign up for digg and Twitter if you're not already there ...

Jon Pincus

Mar 5, 2009, 1:26:24 PM3/5/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com
These are likely to be importnat components of our online activism
strategy over the next few weeks. In both of these environments, a few
hundred people acting together have a good shot at getting broad
coverage for a blog post or subject. If we can increase the percentage
of the 150+ people on this mailing list who act -- and our effectiveness
at acting -- it'll make a big difference.

We've got a decent page about digg on our wiki at
http://get-fisa-right.wetpaint.com/page/Promoting+FISA-related+stories+on+digg

For Twitter, a recent two-part series by Deanna Zandt is a great place
to start
http://www.deannazandt.com/2009/03/02/why-twitter-anyways/
http://www.deannazandt.com/2009/02/26/a-non-fanatical-beginners-guide-to-twitter/

Depending on your politics, the "Progressives 2.0" wiki and "Top
Conservatives on Twitter" site have more information
http://p2pt0.wetpaint.com/page/Twitter
http://www.topconservativesontwitter.org/

Thanks much!

jon

--
liminal states <http://talesfromthe.net/jon>, my blog
Tales from the Net <http://talesfromthe.net>, a work in progress

Dora Smith

Mar 5, 2009, 5:32:20 PM3/5/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com
If our strategy needs digg and Twitter we're in serious trouble. You let
those right wingers twitter if taht's what they're into.

After the economic bubble burst, haven't we learned anything? I guess some
people never will.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX
tigge...@yahoo.com

Jon Pincus

Mar 5, 2009, 10:55:46 PM3/5/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com
There are plenty of other aspects to our strategy: in-person activities,
cable TV. If you'd like to help organize a meeting with your
representative or senator, or a protest in Austin, that'd be great!

But don't write off the value of online activities. Back in early July,
when Steve Elliot's post about Get FISA Right hit the front page of
digg, it sent our growth and media attention into overdrive. Two days
later, we were #1 on MyBO, Senator Obama had replied to our open letter,
and there was a profile of Mike Stark in the NY Times. Other campaigns
like the conservative #dontgo anti-drilling movement, Join the Impact
and the "Stonewall 2.0" LGBTQ activists, the Motrin Moms, and Voces
contra las FARC -- and the Obama camapaign -- paint a pattern. Two
weeks ago, 100,000 people joined a group protesting Facebook's Terms of
Service changes in two days, and Facebook backed down. Social network
activism works.

Like I said in my original post, Digg and Twitter in particular let a
few hundred people get their message out broadly. Early this week
Skittles did a clever Twitter-based marketing stunt and within a few
days were being discussed in the Wall Street Journal, LA Times, USA
Today, Finanicial Times, and AP -- as well as 4000 blog posts. Wouldn't
you like that kind of publicity for Get FISA Right?

Again, this isn't to deny the importance of in-person and traditional
media activism and organizing. In fact the main reason this is such a
great opportunity for us is the iniative by GFR members Jean, Harry, and
Ben in Wisconsin (backed by phone support from Frank), speaking up at
listening meetings and going to fundraisers tomaking contact. More of
that, please!

But it's not an either-or thing. Helping on Twitter, Digg, Facebook,
and the blogosphere takes very little time. So please, get involved.

jon