BORDC FBI Oversight Letter & Next Steps

Harry Waisbren

Jul 29, 2010, 9:13:36 PM7/29/10
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com, senatorobama-pleasevoteagainstfisa

The Bill of Rights Defense Committee submitted a letter on behalf of 46 partner organizations to the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday calling for more oversight over the FBI.

Shahid Buttar of the BORDC provided an update in the post about the hearing today, discussing the questions asked about how widely FBI agents had cheated on tests about their spying powers. FBI Director Mueller was pressed about racial and religious profiling, and he reportedly erred in his claim regarding whether agents are allowed to initiate surveillance only based on suspicion of wrongdoing at this time, while conceding that FBI surveillance is not limited by suspicion after the hearing within a note.

As usual, it appears that the BORDC is the place to go and the people in the know about this sort of civil liberties activism. Always our pleasure to help them out, and if we can swing it, our community should work to streamline social media strategies that can be utilized to support these projects and the issues at large.

Seems like another conference call would be at least one useful next step to take, and here is a doodle poll where you can let us know what times you could make it!

---Harry

--
Harry Waisbren

Community Manager for Qworky