[Geograph-API-Users] FYI, Soon to be more accurate location searching

barryhunter

May 4, 2010, 2:48:34 PM5/4/10
to Geograph-API-Users
Currently locational searching happens at 1km resolution. So even if
supply on a more accurate location the results/feed would be sorted
according to distance from the center of the 1km grid-square.

We are just about to turn on support for sub-square searching within
the API. Its been available on the website for a few days now, but
have held off enabling it for lat/long searches via the API - wanted
to confirm it all working first.

I dont expect it to have a particular negative impact on people
running 'location based' searches, just that the first few results
will generally be a bit closer to the actual point supplied.

Also thanks to OpenData from the OS, can how supply a full unit
postcode, and get results closed to the centoid of the postcode -
previouslly we used old sector resolution dataset, so results where
variable.

Of note *will* also be able to specify a 'distance' radius to
syndicator.php below 1(km). So will be able to retrieve only very
close results. This will have the side effect of excluding images only
specified to 1km (with a 4fig grid-reference) subject location.

I'll reply here when its enabled, but I hope people will find this new
functionality useful!

Regards,

Barry
Geograph Developer