Dome cover

HUX METAL WORKS

Jun 27, 2024, 7:45:50 PM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Good evening I have a question I made a 16ft 2v geodesic dome out of pvc looks amazing I have covered it in plastic sheeting failed  covered with cardboard as a backing failed some have suggested other things but I would like to make it more permanent I want a place where my wife and I can spend time out side but still be out of the weather I'm wondering if I  could maybe use wood strips it's just a thought I know you guys know way more than I do on this what's the best way to attach a permanent cover  I'm open to any and all suggestions please remember I'm new to this but I love those structures all ideas are welcome as it stands now it's a yard ornament I can't give up now  thank you very much for your help thanks again Tim

Dx G

Jun 28, 2024, 5:53:21 PM (7 days ago) Jun 28
to Geodesic Help Group
Tim,
 Perhaps you could tell us more about why the plastic failed.  Since there are lots of domes that use plastic successfully, I'm hoping there is a simple/easy/inexpensive fix for what went wrong.

DxG

Paul Kranz

Jun 28, 2024, 6:30:08 PM (7 days ago) Jun 28
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Tim:

I have had success using a dome as a superstructure to hold up panels that I built inside the triangles.
GeoAtrium 005.jpgGeoAtrium 006.jpg

Very high regards,

Paul C. Kranz, LMFT
Kranz & Associates, LLC

Charles Lasater

Jun 29, 2024, 12:20:51 AM (7 days ago) Jun 29
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Marine shrink wrap perhaps?

On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 4:45 PM HUX METAL WORKS <timg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good evening I have a question I made a 16ft 2v geodesic dome out of pvc looks amazing I have covered it in plastic sheeting failed  covered with cardboard as a backing failed some have suggested other things but I would like to make it more permanent I want a place where my wife and I can spend time out side but still be out of the weather I'm wondering if I  could maybe use wood strips it's just a thought I know you guys know way more than I do on this what's the best way to attach a permanent cover  I'm open to any and all suggestions please remember I'm new to this but I love those structures all ideas are welcome as it stands now it's a yard ornament I can't give up now  thank you very much for your help thanks again Tim

HUX METAL WORKS

Jun 29, 2024, 4:27:21 PM (6 days ago) Jun 29
to geodes...@googlegroups.com

I put the plastic sheeting on as I had seen and it didn't look like I have seen others not to mention I could not get it tight and on the first rain storm after installation of the plastic the storm destroyed it I rebuild the frame but with no cover thanks for trying to help Tim

HUX METAL WORKS

Jun 29, 2024, 4:30:25 PM (6 days ago) Jun 29
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Could you tell me more I'm new to this kind of things but I  like the structures just can't figure it out Thanks for sharing your work and experience with me Tim

Dx G

Jun 29, 2024, 6:16:20 PM (6 days ago) Jun 29
to Geodesic Help Group
Tim,
  Ok, that's a good start. Here are a few questions that might help -
1) What did you use for plastic?  Was it clear polyethylene sheeting?
How wide?
How thick?  The 1 or 2 mil stuff tends to tear, much stronger in the 4, 6 or even 8-12 mil range.  You can even buy sheeting with a fiber grid for high strength, commonly used on construction sites.
2) How did you attach the plastic?  Did you use any tape, or adhesive, clamps, etc?
3) Did the material tear, or did it just unravel. Did you use one big piece for the cover or join sections?  Did your seams separate?

If you do a youtube search for dome cover, you will find dozens of attachment methods.

Here are a few outfits that have pictures of covers that might give you some ideas.
https://polidomes.com/additional-equipment/covers/

DxG

Dx G

Jun 29, 2024, 6:21:52 PM (6 days ago) Jun 29
to Geodesic Help Group
 There was some previous discussion on this last time it came up, but it was under "hinge". Some leads there also.
https://groups.google.com/g/geodesichelp/c/1H8yo4Hbjx0/m/f4w2WW5eBAAJ
-DxG

HUX METAL WORKS

Jun 29, 2024, 6:30:08 PM (6 days ago) Jun 29
to geodes...@googlegroups.com

6m40x100ft color dark from a local store tape on all seams seams came apart and I have bought several books and plans for domes and I have do several online searches the problems I'm having is I can't attach it to where it will  stay and stay tight and I can't get the seems to stay attached and to be honest it's ugly  thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts  tim

Dx G

Jun 29, 2024, 7:08:58 PM (6 days ago) Jun 29
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Tim,
 A few thoughts to share

1) Tape - most don't work on polyethylene and even fewer adhesives. They might stick but will release and peel off later.  You might have some luck with tape made for plastic storm windows or tarp repair tape, which lots of places sell.

2) Snap Clamps and Fabric Clips
  Lots of places sell these, and they can be pretty handy. You can also make your own (long ones) from PVC pipe.
 example

3) Greenhouses use several types of snap-lock materials to hold plastic film. It comes in aluminum and plastic.
 There are also a lot of tarp clips that grab the film with a clamp and provide a loop for tying.  Often sold at camping places.

 Ideas here too, more if you look around.

DxG

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Geodesic Help Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geodesichelp/CANj1HfCb_W9ZjMeiMQ7ZbuU%2BRgY51OZ%3DTvkTvnUL5%3DwcPKPw0A%40mail.gmail.com.

HUX METAL WORKS

Jun 29, 2024, 7:35:32 PM (6 days ago) Jun 29
to geodes...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your help I'll let you know how it goes thanks again for helping  Tim