Montreal Biosphere Inquiry

Wgoss1

Mar 31, 2024, 3:19:27 PMMar 31
to Geodesic Help Group
Hello again,

I just joined the group and I didn't know how to start a new conservation so I replied to someone message but I realized that might be a mistake and someone help me realize to start a conservation can reach more people.

I was hoping to ask anyone of you about the Montreal biosphere and where I can find any detail about the foundation and how the dome is fixed to the ground. As well as, the building inside the dome and if there is any structural analysis about it, like the foundation, superstructure, materials, sustainable design, etc and where I could possibly find it.

I'm doing a report on the Montreal biosphere for the history of structure class and would be greatly appreciative if anyone can help. Thanks!

Wengle

Gerry Toomey

Apr 5, 2024, 9:43:40 AMApr 5
to geodesichelp
Wengle,
Here is an architectural drawing showing "base support details" of the Montreal Biosphere. I have a second related file and will send that separately because the PDFs are quite big. In the coming days, I'll look further to see what else I might have in my files that might be of use to you.

Good luck with your report.
- Gerry in Québec

Wengle wrote:

Wgoss1

Mar 31, 2024, 3:19:27 PM (5 days ago)
to Geodesic Help Group

Wgoss1

Apr 5, 2024, 7:09:23 PMApr 5
to Geodesic Help Group
Gerry,

Thank you so much for the architectural base support drawings, my partners and I in the project really appreciate it! I wanted to ask if I can still communicate with you about any questions and confusion with these drawings, if you possibly know anything about it Thanks again!

Kind Regard,
Wengle

Gerry in Quebec

Apr 5, 2024, 8:36:38 PMApr 5
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi Wengle,
Yes. If you have questions, please ask. However, I am more familiar with the geometry of the main dome space frame than  its foundation. The visual quality of the architectural drawing scans is poor, but still legible if you zoom in on the PDFs. I tried to post the second drawing here but got a message from Google Groups saying the file was too large to post. But I copied it to your gmail address and you should have received it by now (Base support details - doc 13.pdf).
- Gerry in Québec

Gerry in Quebec

Apr 5, 2024, 8:50:24 PMApr 5
to Geodesic Help Group
Wengle,
Another image, courtesy of Thomas Zung, a partner of Bucky Fuller.
- Gerry in Québec

Biosphere cast iron base.png

Wgoss1

Apr 6, 2024, 3:16:16 PMApr 6
to Geodesic Help Group
That's an awesome photo, Gerry! Thank you so much
-Wengle

Gerry Toomey

Apr 15, 2024, 11:33:05 AMApr 15
to geodesichelp
Wengle & others,
Here's a PDF datasheet on the Montreal Biosphere. The calculations are based on the original architectural drawings. This might give you a bit of context to the other drawings I sent you or posted here.
- Gerry in Québec
Montreal-Biosphere-datasheet-April-22-2014.pdf

Wgoss1

Apr 15, 2024, 10:55:25 PMApr 15
to Geodesic Help Group
Hey Gerry,

Yeah, this information can be very useful for the other images in the report! Thanks again

Wengle

Javier Marcos

Apr 17, 2024, 10:22:47 AMApr 17
to Geodesic Help Group
Maybe there is not much information on the following subject as it burnt down, but are there any specifications somewhere on how the acrylic panels were set?
I only found a single drawing of three panels in different positions, but never explained how they eventually worked or were held/put in place.
Does anyone know more about their failed functioning or material? Anything really. If someone did thanks in advance.
Javi

Wgoss1

Apr 19, 2024, 11:04:44 PMApr 19
to Geodesic Help Group
hey, I would also like to know how the acrylic panels were set too!

Wengle

Message has been deleted