Help me understand the Pros and Cons of AntiPrism, Google Sketchup, SolidWorks, and other software for developing space frame construction.

John Hurt

Jun 2, 2022, 9:29:23 AM6/2/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Friends,
I manufacture geodesic domes for chicken coops, greenhouses, and other purposes.  I need to learn to use a software package for geodesic dome modeling purposes, and for designing other space frame structures.
Paul Robinson uses Sketchup and has a lot of good videos.  I have spoken to Gerry Toomey who uses AntiPrism with great success.
I have not heard about anyone using SolidWorks for geodesic dome modeling, other than SolidWorks may be expensive, while AntiPrism and Sketchup are free.
Are there any other software packages that would be useful?
I am also interested in the availability of support groups, forums, and online tutorials if I have a question that needs an answer.
So, if you had it to do all over again, which package would you use, and why?
Thanks,
John Hurt

Adrian Rossiter

Jun 2, 2022, 12:00:45 PM6/2/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi John

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022, John Hurt wrote:
> I manufacture geodesic domes for chicken coops, greenhouses, and other
> purposes. I need to learn to use a software package for geodesic dome
> modeling purposes, and for designing other space frame structures.
> I am also interested in the availability of support groups, forums, and
> online tutorials if I have a question that needs an answer.

Antiprism is mainly for modelling polyhedra. It could could be a good
choice for investigating different forms, and generating key coordinates
for these forms. It wouldn't be a very good choice for producing a solid
model of something like a hub.

There are a lot of import and export options. The individual programs
provide standalone functionality, and can be called from scripts.
Custom models can be made in a script, or other application, and then
passed on to Antiprism for further processing and/or display. Models
can be made in Antiprsm and then passed on to other applications.

There is extensive documentation, and hundreds of example commands.

There are no tutorials, but the program examples are often written
in such a way that explains the program use.

The Antiprism forum can be used for support. You can also find
more example commands and example scripts there.

Antiprism is open source, you can change the code to add extra
functionality. It also includes a library of core functionality
that can be called from other code. It is fairly portable, and will
build and run on Windows, Mac and Linux-based OSs. There are
installable binaries for Windows and Ubuntu.

Antiprism: http://www.antiprism.com/
Documentation: http://www.antiprism.com/programs/
Examples: https://www.antiprism.com/examples/

Adrian.
--
Adrian Rossiter
adr...@antiprism.com

lemondealc

Jun 5, 2022, 9:42:51 AM6/5/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

I've asked this question of the group in the past. I am also interested in some step-by-step tutorials of modeling domes using CAD. I think this falls under the old phrase " if you want something done you've got to do it yourself "

I'd be happy to work with you and try to muddle our way through a couple of videos if you are interested in that. You may recall I called you about a month ago and spoke to your wife while you two are in the car. I will mentioned my use of domes for high tunnels. That is definitely something that I would love to model using CAD.

John Hurt

Jun 6, 2022, 8:19:13 PM6/6/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Thanks, Andrew!

Gerry Toomey has also sent me some good information on AntiPrism, and links to support groups, etc.   AntiPrism is probably the way to go.

I appreciate your offer for additional support.

It is good to have friends.

I look forward to working with you in the future.

John Hurt