play in the joints

Dick Fischbeck

Jul 5, 2022, 8:40:55 PM7/5/22
to syne...@groups.io, Geodesic Help
I think in geometry it is imperative to consider, better an actual imperative, to account for  play in the joints, just like the courts themselves are talking about.

I mean, Blair, don't you have to consider play and stack?

thedo...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2022, 8:47:09 PM7/5/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
I’m unfamiliar with this term

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2022, at 7:40 PM, Dick Fischbeck <dick.fi...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think in geometry it is imperative to consider, better an actual imperative, to account for  play in the joints, just like the courts themselves are talking about.

I mean, Blair, don't you have to consider play and stack?

Dick Fischbeck

Jul 5, 2022, 8:56:35 PM7/5/22
to Geodesic Help
The term came up this week in legal Scotus arguments but I think it also applies in a physical way in domes. I am all for some slack or movement on dome vertexes but too much slack leads to turbiining  around vertexes. This might be a metaphorical stretch yet I like it. I'm just thinking-out-loud.

Dick Fischbeck

Jul 5, 2022, 9:09:35 PM7/5/22
to Geodesic Help
I mean, you, Blair, think about the tolerance of your dill hole and the bolts that fill them and how much play there is. Maybe this is a minor consideration to the overall strength of the dome.

Ashok Mathur

Jul 6, 2022, 12:26:54 AM7/6/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Don’t do all your thinking in terms of structures where parts are rigid.
Do also think in terms of a machines where parts move relative to each other.
The divide between a structure and a machine is artificial and man made.
Geodesic domes have attributes of both a structure and a machine.
Accept it and work with it.
Regards
Ashok

Sent from my iPhone