Bamboo Construction - a possible solution

Ashok Mathur

Jun 23, 2022, 9:34:13 PM6/23/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com

I am enclosing a note that compares geodesic domes. nexorades and tensgrity structures that could be used for bamboo based construction.
Comments will be appreciated.
Regards

Ashok

Bamboo Solution.docx

John Hurt

Jun 24, 2022, 1:52:31 PM6/24/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Ashok,

Building a cost effective bamboo dome would help a lot of people.

The nexorades design and tying the poles together is a great idea.  It solves a lot of problems with bamboo, as bamboo tapers from one end to the other, and does not have a consistent diameter.

Using flat strips is very interesting.   Keep us informed on how this develops.

Here is my solution for building bamboo domes:  https://www.ziptiedomes.com/customers/bamboodome.htm

Dr. George Nez used latex cement over alkali resistant fiberglass mesh for covering his hyperbolic paraboloid roofs for a project in Ghana:  https://youtu.be/DkE4_vUflRU

I have tried latex cement, and it is good "cost effective" solution for covering a geodesic dome - see my notes at the bottom of this page:  https://www.ziptiedomes.com/customers/lenabach.htm

Many blessings,

John Hurt

Dx G

Jul 16, 2022, 1:11:29 PM7/16/22
to Geodesic Help Group
For those of you interesting in bamboo use for building, particularly for domes, you may be interested in a few of these selections from my library, if you had not seen them before.  I believe some pdf copies are available on the web. Ottenhaus worked on the hub design options a great deal.  There are some ideas there for the zip tie approach.

Towards a Design Method for Bamboo Geodesic Domes

Delft University of Technology Library

Delft, 2628 ZC Netherlands

Author Ottenhaus, L.M.

Contributor Hoogenboom, P.C.J. (mentor) Rots, J.G. (mentor)

Faculty Civil Engineering and Geosciences

Department  Structural Engineering

Programme  Structural Mechanics

Date  2015-02-13

Fabrication of multi-purpose geodesic dismountable bamboo dome

by GBTM 2012 2nd International Conference on Green Buildings Technologies and Materials (CHN Wuhan 2012 12 27 - 2012 12 28);

 Kumar A.; Rathi A.G.; Mohanty S.; Bisht V.

Advanced Materials Research, v689 (2013 06 07): 378-381

Ashok Mathur

Jul 16, 2022, 1:38:25 PM7/16/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dx G,
Thanks.
Your thesis is readily available in pdf format online.
The second paper perhaps may be got from the authors via Research Gate.
Regards
Ashok

Sent from my iPhone

On 16-Jul-2022, at 10:41 PM, Dx G <yipp...@gmail.com> wrote:

For those of you interesting in bamboo use for building, particularly for domes, you may be interested in a few of these selections from my library, if you had not seen them before.  I believe some pdf copies are available on the web. Ottenhaus worked on the hub design options a great deal.  There are some ideas there for the zip tie approach.

John Hurt

Jul 17, 2022, 7:30:14 AM7/17/22
to Geodesic Help Group
Does anyone have a link to a PDF file?

Ray Foren

Jul 17, 2022, 8:37:57 AM7/17/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com

Ashok Mathur

Jul 19, 2022, 9:59:11 PM7/19/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
I am enclosing a note that takes further the task of constructing a nexorade that will eventually cover about 2000 sq.ft. and have a height of about 16 feet - in other words, a shallow nexorade. The note also exposes many things that I do n ot know and wish to learn from group members.
Regards

Ashok

Dear List members.docx

Adrian Rossiter

Jul 20, 2022, 2:27:02 AM7/20/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ashok

On Wed, 20 Jul 2022, Ashok Mathur wrote:
> about 16 feet - in other words, a shallow nexorade. The note also exposes
> many things that I do n ot know and wish to learn from group members.

"If I knew the command to generate ‘geo_+3_0 =nex_63_(6,3) 2/3 ‘ in
anti-prism, I could do this task myself."

This is the program documentation

https://www.antiprism.com/programs/rotegrity.html

It includes examples for rotegrity and nexorade models (Lev's tables
are for rotegrity models).

The name of the base model in Antiprism is geo_3 (or geo_3_0).

"Is there a command to draw a truncation plane in a nexorade?"

There is no planar truncation, but for visual inspection you could
add a polygon as a "horizontal" (xy-plane) and transform the model
made by the rotegrity program to be cut by this

rotegrity geo_3 -f 1/3 -a r -O r -c U | off_trans -R 1,phi,0,0,0,1 -T 0,0,-.26 | antiview - pol9 -e 0.01 -v 0.01

Adrian.
--
Adrian Rossiter
adr...@antiprism.com

Ashok Mathur

Jul 20, 2022, 3:16:13 AM7/20/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Dear Adrian,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I shall try them out and report progress.
Regards

Ashok