Tips for Bevel angles

Paulo Freitas

May 16, 2024, 5:41:52 PMMay 16
to Geodesic Help Group
Hey everyone!

I'm Paulo from Brazil, and I'm just starting out in the world of geodesic domes. As part of my learning journey, I'm building a small 1/2 Icosahedron V2 dome with a 60 cm diameter. I'm using the formulas and measurements from the calculator on "acidome.ru", and I'm actually managing to put it together, but it's turning out to be quite a task!

This little dome requires 4 different strud types, 6 compound angles, and 2 triangle types. After I got started, I came across a video by Paul Robinson on YouTube where he showed a bevel method for building domes, which seemed much easier. My problem now is figuring out the bevel angles.

Does anyone know of an online calculator that can provide bevel angles for different dome frequencies and sizes? I'd really appreciate any help!

P.S. If you have any tips or advice for a newbie dome builder, I'm all ears!

Regards

Dx G

May 18, 2024, 10:39:18 AMMay 18
to Geodesic Help Group
Paulo,
 If you do a web search, you will find several sites that discuss these, and provide them in tables or calculators.  A few quick examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEH37l6XyVw   paul robinson has more good material

kits are good for making some things simpler
https://blumkraft.com/en/welcome-to-blumkraft-house-of-the-domestar-geodesic-domes/  not sure how to buy these or what they cost, but there are a lot of hub kits available now if you don't want to make your own.

There are also several old books that have a lot of the data you need, some of which are available free on the internet

I would also suggest, especially for a small dome, you consider the ones with many fewer part sizes and angles.
  If you do a search on the list, you will see more discussion of small domes that have less variation in parts.

Post more questions if you don't find what you need.

Dx G