hinges

Dick Fischbeck

Jun 10, 2024, 6:55:34 PMJun 10
to Geodesic Help
Does anyone know of structures/polyhedrons that have hinges at the center of the edges?

Let me know if I am repeating myself.  Thanks.
IMG_0534.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg

Dx G

Jun 11, 2024, 5:52:28 PMJun 11
to Geodesic Help Group
Interesting concept.  I've seen lazy-tong folding, like Hoberman structures, and telescoping struts, but I don't think I've come across any that had a single pivot in the center or elsewhere. One would have to address strength with respect to collapse (especially with twisted elements), but that's not insurmountable.  There might even be some advantages to allowing some restrained movement, more like a tensegrity structure.

Dx G