hinge

Dick Fischbeck

Apr 25, 2024, 2:35:53 PMApr 25
to Geodesic Help
Is there an example of a dome built with edges that are hinged in the middle with a flexible elbow joint, on that is a joint confined to two dimensions, like a door hinge?

Dx G

Apr 26, 2024, 12:08:22 AMApr 26
to Geodesic Help Group
I've made some paper models like that, if I'm reading you right.  For each pentagon or hexagon, there is a crease between each "pie piece" of the polygon, which makes it easy to fold up.  Once unfolded,  and laid flat, the spherical excess gap is closed, which makes the polygon into a 5 or 6 sided pyramid, which matches the dome form.  So I don't see why dome panels (like triangles or other shapes) can't be joined with hinges.  Loose pin hinges make that easy to assemble or take down.  There is also "living hinge" often made from plastics, in a strip, on a roll, which has a crease to allow use as a continuous hinge. I suppose tape could be used if it were durable enough, or some suitable fabric, sheeting, etc. to act as a hinge. It doesn't have to stand a lot of open/close actuations like a hinge would, just provide enough movement and durability to hold the panels together.   I don't think I've seen a dome, photo or drawing like that anywhere yet.

-Dx G

Paul Kranz

Apr 26, 2024, 8:48:56 AMApr 26
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Dx G:

Here's a paper sphere I made from folded computer cards back in 1982.

Paul sends...
3v Computer Card3.jpg

Very high regards,

Paul C. Kranz, LMFT
Kranz & Associates, LLC

Dx G

Apr 26, 2024, 9:08:38 AMApr 26
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Well now, here's a guy who really "gets into" domes   :-)
Dx G

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Geodesic Help Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/geodesichelp/CAE1FiLUm-WaZCa6SAOZyjD_w2JviS7bQ0ZQQwLUCfdb0ZLSdqQ%40mail.gmail.com.

hahajahah

Apr 27, 2024, 11:31:36 AMApr 27
to Geodesic Help Group
That concept (I guess) should work graet as a mold to fill up with concrete or some other material that hardens.
if made bigger and with with some firm stuff like wood or plywood.
making one panel and repeating it around center should give nice hard frame,.
thanks for posting,  sparks up creative thinking.

hahajahah

Apr 28, 2024, 2:15:33 PMApr 28
to Geodesic Help Group
LAMINAR STRIPES.jpg

US3203144-drawings-page-1.png

Dx G

Apr 28, 2024, 3:59:06 PMApr 28
to Geodesic Help Group
Nice model and drawing.  A few thoughts to share -
 - Fuller's panels (in the patent you attach) are made from two triangles with the shared strut between them removed.

 - If you are going to do a 2F with 2 strut sizes, consider a pentakis dodecahedron, since all the triangles are the same size and there is only one dihedral angle.

 - For small domes, a triakis icoas could be a good choice

you can also put one inside the other, both Catalan solids

Dx G

luke Orlowski

Apr 28, 2024, 5:47:11 PMApr 28
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the stripes idea reminded me of that laminar concept of a dome, and for this model I chose  chamfered dodecahedron.

I'm thinking of making just one panel and use it like "concrete form" remove it after whatever material hardens and repeat to create the whole.
In that in mind it is possible to go for higher frequencies with more strut lenghts .

Dx G

Apr 28, 2024, 6:50:32 PMApr 28
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Luke,
 Would you be laying the panels on a strut framework or just joining the panels?  I figure you will need equipment that can lift something that heavy and allow you to move it into place .   If there are no struts, any thoughts on how to join the panels?

Dx G

luke Orlowski

Apr 29, 2024, 2:55:45 AMApr 29
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Yes exactly, all that have to be considered.
First of all most important to me is your last question, how to connect the panels. It also depends if one will have full set of them or just one.
I'm guessing that full construction would be most practical if moulds will be fill up with concrete f.ex.
I'm thinking on smaller object just to see how this concept will work out.
 I already made higher frequency model but don't have time now to upload it in to conversation.

Dx G

Apr 29, 2024, 9:40:40 AMApr 29
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Well, if you are considering options, I will pass along a few items from my library. They might give you some ideas if not already old news.

https://www.masonryarches.com/    spherical block LLC
https://masonrydesign.blogspot.com/2010/07/evaluating-masonry-dome.html     Note: Dick is an active member of the group

Another item to consider - adhesives are sold for use in building retaining walls from masonite blocks. I don't know if this, are adequate for a structure, but worth keeping your eye on that.

Also, there is activity around "floating masonry" and various forms of aircrete.  Currently, its not as strong as common concrete, but a lot lighter. Typically its made using foaming additives or some process to put air bubbles in the concrete.  Some replace stone aggregate with other lightweight materials like perlite or other such materials.  I've even seen some home made recipes using things as common as shampoo, but one needs to be cautious with untested materials.

Dx G

DomeConcreteHexelectrichestvo2.jpg

HUX METAL WORKS

Apr 29, 2024, 11:34:38 AMApr 29
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
I have a question if someone could help I build a pvc dome my question is how do I cover it I have tried and I can't make anything work any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks for your help

Dx G

Apr 29, 2024, 12:08:46 PMApr 29
to Geodesic Help Group
Hi Tim,
  I sent this a while ago (see below).  If it was no help, perhaps you can get more specific about what you need.  Buy a cover? Plans or instructions?

If you do a web search for    dome cover    you will find lots of hits of various kinds

Another possibility is  local sewing shop might make you what you want from any fabric, plastic, etc. you want.

Also, if you need a pattern, take a close look at any tennis ball, baseball, softball, etc.  They all have patterns there for covering a ball.

Dx G
Feb 20, 2024, 4:59:42 PM
to Geodesic Help Group
Tim,
 As I suggested earlier, if you run some internet searches, you will find all kinds of dome calculators (that do the math for you) and information about making your own covers or buying covers.  A few examples here, but there are lots more.

Dx G

HUX METAL WORKS

Apr 29, 2024, 12:44:24 PMApr 29
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks I must have missed it I'll check it out  Thanks again for your time Tim

luke Orlowski

Apr 30, 2024, 5:11:25 AMApr 30
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Dx G Thank You.
That's Awesome info in those links.

Dx G

Apr 30, 2024, 5:39:28 PMApr 30
to Geodesic Help Group
Glad its helpful Luke.  Items like that do have a tendency to expand one's imagination, sure does help me.
Dx G

hahajahah

May 11, 2024, 1:07:36 PMMay 11
to Geodesic Help Group
Those Masonry links where very helpfull Dx G. specialy the one from https://www.masonryarches.com/domeblock i think thats the patent they use

So I took one of the models from "Equal Central Angle Conjecture" paper.

Added some more elements to it, and now im making just one supporting panel or mould that will repeat itself to cast this out.
here is model  with strut chords.
Equal Central Angle Conjecture.jpg
And  finished cast object
concrete cast.jpg

Dx G

May 11, 2024, 1:26:09 PMMay 11
to Geodesic Help Group
 Looks interesting.  Likely you feel this design has advantages, but somehow I'm not seeing them.  There are several designs that have less variation in strut or panel sizes, as well as angles (like only 2 or 3 strut sizes and perhaps 1 or 2 panel sizes.).  In fact, Pent Dod even has the same dihedral angles everywhere and only one panel size, although not the best for larger domes.   So I would think you would want to make as few molds as possible, and go with the dome that has the lowest variation in part size.  I'd like to understand better.
thx Dx G

Charles Lasater

May 11, 2024, 2:04:03 PMMay 11
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Interesting dodecahedron model. Same as DarwinDomes.com. I knew Rob Lassiter and have built several of these including a geodesic sphere in Redding, California on Google Maps.

Dx G

May 11, 2024, 2:41:27 PMMay 11
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Do the pegs in the DarwinDomes stay in place or are they glued or fixtured some how, or does the roofing lock them in place?  These look a lot like some of the New Zealand domes I seen in photos.  Any particular reason for using a dodeca?
Dx G

hahajahah

May 11, 2024, 3:02:16 PMMay 11
to Geodesic Help Group
I`m focused only on one panel that will be used for casting whole structure.  My idea is too spend more time to design just one repeatable  element consisting all that strut dimensions
 thats why i whent for higher frequencies. Panel is 1/5 of a whole Construction rotated about central angle or pentagon apex for whole sphere.
As for least variation in strut lenghts to construct a dome I was posting that before with only one element to make a complete whole.
If I I progress any way I will post the process but its already away from orginal "Hinge" idea. so maybe its good  to open a new thread.
Luke

Dx G

May 11, 2024, 4:01:27 PMMay 11
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I see. So the dome will be fabricated from just 5 identical panels,  if I understand correctly.   If that panel is going to be concrete, it will be really heavy, unless you have a different system in mind.  It can be done, but will need equipment to lift/hold/position the panel, but you probably know that.
Dx G

hahajahah

May 11, 2024, 4:31:59 PMMay 11
to Geodesic Help Group
yes thats correct, it can even be supported for period of time from the iside with some reinforcment. The big panel can be divided for smaller parts for ease of movment from place to place.
the one om working with is size of a ball so it is not the major  problem at that moment, but for huge dome thats the main issue I guess.
Luke

Robert Clark

May 12, 2024, 5:39:08 PMMay 12
to Geodesic Help Group
Sounds like you're trying to do something similar to this Japanese Styrofoam dome home, only all in concrete.  Is this correct?

hqdefault (2).jpghq720.jpg

hahajahah

May 13, 2024, 3:26:54 PMMay 13
to Geodesic Help Group
yes correct, imagine just five of these covered with concrete or some sort of bulding material  then mould removed when hardened.

hahajahah

May 18, 2024, 11:58:16 AMMay 18
to Geodesic Help Group
Pentakis Dodecahedron Hinged connectors

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deadhomer/15109223524

Dick Fischbeck

May 18, 2024, 8:52:00 PMMay 18
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
What I wondered about was when the hinge is in the middle of. the edge. Halfway between the vertexes.

On Sat, May 18, 2024 at 11:58 AM hahajahah <los...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pentakis Dodecahedron Hinged connectors

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deadhomer/15109223524hl=en

Dx G

May 18, 2024, 9:53:23 PMMay 18
to geodes...@googlegroups.com

hahajahah

May 19, 2024, 7:32:07 AMMay 19
to Geodesic Help Group
hinge dome.jpg
IF all the weight will be carried by the hinges.?
  Curious how`s that soultion would worked out with full scale Dome and its weight.
Luke

hahajahah

Jun 8, 2024, 1:52:56 PMJun 8
to Geodesic Help Group

Dx G

Jun 8, 2024, 3:58:40 PMJun 8
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Yes, its nice work.  For those interested in "hinges", a few comments -

One thing to keep on the radar screen would be "living hinge".  It's often just a plastic strip with a crease running down the center, allowing it to fold repeatedly without splitting.  Its not as strong as a metal hinge, but considerably stronger than it looks, especially when its used as "continuous" or "piano" hinge, that runs a long way, or all the way, along the edges of the two panels being joined.  A lot of hinges need screws or bolts to attach them, and that's a lot of connections.  Living hinge is more compatible with staples, rivets or even glues in some situations.  In fact, certain alloys and gauges of sheet metals can also be used in this fashion, especially if there won't be a lot of back and forth rotation along the seam which tends to crack a lot of materials.  Plastic living hinge is also lighter and way cheaper than metal, and some polymers are entirely biodegradable.  Even if it isn't the right material for actual use, it can be a good choice for prototyping and modeling.

Dx G