CNC Geodesic "Hex" Dome Pattern

Scott Baker

Jun 24, 2018, 1:00:16 PM6/24/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Hello:

I stumbled across this image on Pinterest, and despite my best efforts I am unable to locate the pattern online.  Does anyone know if it's public domain and where I might find it?

TaffGoch

Jun 24, 2018, 6:35:58 PM6/24/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Scott,

The link you provided appears to be broken. I presume that this is the image?

-Taff

TaffGoch

Jun 24, 2018, 6:52:08 PM6/24/18
to Geodesic Help Group
I think that this is Robert Clark's design.

-Taff

TaffGoch

Jun 24, 2018, 6:56:30 PM6/24/18
to Geodesic Help Group

TaffGoch

Jun 24, 2018, 7:09:57 PM6/24/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Yep, Robert Clark's work. This is a refinement of his dome, introduced in this post:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/geodesichelp/DBign4brKwA/26pwnXYwAwAJ

-Taff

TaffGoch

Jun 24, 2018, 7:16:22 PM6/24/18
to Geodesic Help Group
A large version of the bottom photo in the pinterest image can be seen here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/geodesichelp/DBign4brKwA/hBbzkW22AgAJ

-Taff

sk8sonh2o

Jun 25, 2018, 11:04:13 PM6/25/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Taff,
How could I contact Robert Clark? I would also like to get the .dxf 's (I think there are 2 versions?) a flat overlap scheme and the ribbed version?
I work at a children's museum in Bristol CT and these could be awesome display items as well as hands-on fun in a smaller cardboard execution.I would probably use 'christmas tree' push fasteners for the kids to assemble the cardboard.
Tom

TaffGoch

Jun 26, 2018, 12:09:20 AM6/26/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Tom,

I'll drop Robert an email, regarding this discussion thread.

-Taff

TaffGoch

Jun 26, 2018, 12:27:18 AM6/26/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Here are Robert Clark's relevant images (large versions,) re-posted in one place:

-Taff
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3

Sh Mc

Jun 26, 2018, 8:21:42 AM6/26/18
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Ever seen the maslowcnc. Would be perfect for projects like this. I have one and love it.

Message has been deleted

Scott Baker

Jun 26, 2018, 4:31:43 PM6/26/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Robert & Ltsky311:

I was thinking about getting a Maslow CNC for just this purpose - I'd like to make a greenhouse for my backyard and extend our growing season - you can't grow loofah in the Pacific Northwest without one! Robert, are the dxf files still available?

Scott.

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 5:34:20 AM UTC-7, Robert Clark wrote:
Coincidentally, I ordered a Maslow CNC about a week ago.  Not sure when I will receive it.  I have slight reservations about reported slow speed, but thought I'd give it a try since it's under $500.  It will probably sit on my basement shelf for a couple months because right now I am flat out trying to get my current house ready to sell and building a new house (timber frame with SIP panel construction).  I am acting as architect and general contractor.

Ltsky311, tell me more about your experience with your Maslow.  Thanks.

regards,
Robert

Blair Wolfram

Jun 26, 2018, 5:05:32 PM6/26/18
to geodesichelp
Quoting Robert Clark:

"... and building a new house (timber frame with SIP panel construction)."

Robert, this is wrong, just plain wrong.

Blair

Blair F. Wolfram
Founder, Dome Inc.

http://www.hurricanedomes.com
888-DOME-INC or 612-333-3663
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Scott Baker

Jun 28, 2018, 1:31:27 PM6/28/18
to Geodesic Help Group
I would love to see pictures of either.

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 6:24:24 PM UTC-7, Robert Clark wrote:
Blair,
I know.  I've gone to the dark side.  What can I say?  I have a weakness for timber frames. lol.
Don't worry, the backyard workshop/studio AND the green house will be domes.  I swear.

Robert

Blair F. Wolfram
Founder, Dome Inc.

ltsky311

Jun 28, 2018, 2:54:06 PM6/28/18
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Maslow cutting speeds can be a bit daunting but haste makes waste. Possibly a newer spindle grade router vs ridgid style would help and I'm going to be modifying mine quite drastically moving from chains to wire rope and mounting the motors on swivels on the sled itself and making the sled out of epoxy granite for vibration reduction dynamoc concentric weight and smoothness. But for 4x8 cutting factor it's definately the cheapest just in 2 linear rails for 8 foot of travel used would cost almost twice that so...

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

TaffGoch

Jul 6, 2018, 7:49:30 AM7/6/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Robert,

I have a profound respect for your design work, after working to replicate your modeling, myself, in SketchUp.

Not so easy a task, folks. Gotta give the man props!

-Taff
Message has been deleted

TaffGoch

Jul 7, 2018, 10:50:19 PM7/7/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Robert,

If you didn't know, already, the underlying geometry of your design is one of the spheres included in Clinton's "Equal Central-Angle Conjecture," which inherently implies equal arc-length edges:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=8d844ae2415824c0c901553684b98881

-Taff
(aka, David Price)

Ashok Mathur

Jul 8, 2018, 4:06:29 AM7/8/18
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Daer Taff
This is the first time that you have used your alias as David Price in this group.
Regards
Ashok
Regards

Ashok

TaffGoch

Jul 8, 2018, 8:42:15 PM7/8/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Correct -- "coming out"

I figure that, at my age, and with my health issues, much could be lost if I become incapacitated (temporarily or otherwise.) I need to start taking steps....

-Taff
(aka, David Price)
Message has been deleted

Dick Fischbeck

Jul 8, 2018, 9:30:33 PM7/8/18
to Geodesic Help
David- Don't die soon! Much to be done!

TaffGoch

Jul 9, 2018, 1:32:09 AM7/9/18
to Geodesic Help Group
Robert,

As a modeling exercise, I produced this sphere, employing identical arc struts (and simplified proxy hubs)

-Taff
(aka, David Price)

Ashok Mathur

Jul 9, 2018, 2:26:02 AM7/9/18
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Dear Taff,
I googled David Price to see which profile might be you in another avatar.
You have hidden that avatar well as I could not guess/reduce it to 2 or 3 profiles.
Regards

Ashok

TaffGoch

Jul 9, 2018, 10:07:24 PM7/9/18
to Geodesic Help Group
This is the only remaining practical "equal central angle" sphere that would be suitable for a dome:

Geodesic tessellation: 3v{0,3} dual

-Taff
(aka, David Price)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dick Fischbeck

Jul 9, 2018, 10:57:26 PM7/9/18
to Geodesic Help
A ball can be equal edge, area or vertex. That's all there is.

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:33 PM Robert Clark <clark.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
There is just 1 strut length because of equal central angles.  How many hub types are there?  Two similar but mirrored (flipped) hubs can count as one.

In your previous image there was also just 1 strut, but 3 hubs.  The red and blue hubs have bilateral symmetry.  The green hub is asymmetrical and requires flipping.

-Robert

thomas hallaran

Ravi Resck

Sep 5, 2019, 3:19:58 PM9/5/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
I'm also interested in having the .dxf Robert! I've access to a laser and x-carve cnc, so it would be a very nice project to experiment with.

--
Ravi Resck
Gestor de Projectos FabLab Porto

Ravi Resck

Sep 6, 2019, 8:44:09 AM9/6/19
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
All right! Thanks a lot! I'll be looking forward for this. :)

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 8:54 PM Robert Clark <clark.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am at work right now, but later after I get home tonight, I can private message you (and Thomas) about dxf files for the Tortuga Dome.  I have the box of kit parts for the Maslow, but it is still packed away in my basement as are most of my other stuff after moving into my new house that I am STILL building/working on.  I hope to have a working kitchen and bathroom by end of this month.
I've been looking at the Shapeko CNC as an alternative.  It's more expensive, but would cut out parts faster.
-Robert
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to Geodes...@googlegroups.com

Ravi Resck
Gestor de Projectos FabLab Porto
Empreendedor Regenerativo com foco em Inovação Social
raviresck.com

Message has been deleted

Arturo G. Espindola

Nov 17, 2020, 7:43:32 PM11/17/20
to Geodesic Help Group
MR. CLARK, AMAZING WORK YOU CREATED, CAN YOU SHARE WITH US THE 3D MODEL?

THANKS

ARTURO

El viernes, 6 de septiembre de 2019 a las 22:50:56 UTC-5, clark.rob...@gmail.com escribió:
I am going to just post all the files relating to the Tortuga Dome here.  Hopefully, from the pictures provided, the assembly is straight forward.  Parts are cut from 3/4 inch thick plywood and fastened with 1/4 inch diameter bolts and flat washers.  If possible, adjust hole diameters in the dxf file to get a snug fit with bolts.  Same goes for the slot widths.  The slot widths are drawn at .703" because that is the typical actual thickness of 3/4" plywood.  Again, adjust as necessary to get a snug fit.
This dome is a 5/8 dome, 16 feet in diameter and about 10 feet high at the center.  With modifications, could possibly be used as an arbor or a small greenhouse.
This is just meant as a very basic dome concept design.  There are no door openings and no consideration for any type of covering.
If anyone creates a Tortuga Dome, please share your build experience, thoughts, suggestions, ideas - AND pictures with the group.  Enjoy!
-Robert Clark

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 8:44:09 AM UTC-4, Ravi Resck wrote:
All right! Thanks a lot! I'll be looking forward for this. :)

Message has been deleted

lemondealc

Jun 5, 2022, 9:38:30 AM6/5/22
to geodes...@googlegroups.com