2010 R1200RT pinking (pinging) badly under heavy acceleration

Stephen Harris

Apr 28, 2021, 3:13:30 AM4/28/21
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
Hi

I connected the GS-911 to my bike and under real time values the knock sensors are showing something like 21 and 24 volts.  I have manually tested knock sensors previously (not on this bike) and usually the output is only a 1 to 5 volts or similar when you give them a tap.

I don't know what the 911 is testing, so the readout doesn't mean anything to me.  The 911 is not reporting any faults with the knock sensor.

Does anyone have a clue if these readings are normal or what the 911 real time values are reporting before I go and replace the knock sensors.

Many thanks

Steve

Keith Simpson

Apr 28, 2021, 5:25:12 AM4/28/21
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen I always check the knock sensors in ohm's. The resistance should be between 2,000 and 3,000 ohm. If this is not the case the sensor is probably faulty. It could be fuel related I've had problems in the past with supermarket fuel. Did you check compressions when engine hot??

Regards

Keith