1200GS Clutch Switches 2016-Should they both actuate?

Gordon Blackley

Dec 4, 2019, 12:41:00 AM12/4/19
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
My 2016 1200 GS has stopped switching modes on the fly when I pull in the clutch, so I suspected the clutch switch. However, when I checked operation with the 911 I was surprised to see there are 2 clutch switches and only clutch switch two operates when I pull in the lever, the other doesn't actuate.

So the question is, should it? Would someone with a functioning 1200GS to hand, 2013-2016 please see if theirs actuates both clutch switches when the lever is pulled?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

Helge Pedersen

Dec 4, 2019, 1:46:41 AM12/4/19
to gs-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Gordon

We had a similar problem on a journey last month with a 2015 R1200GS and we found that the first switch is there to cancel the cruise control and the second switch is to tell that the clutch is engage or not. You can actually hear the click of each of the switches if you listen carefully when pulling the clutch lever.

We diagnosed our issue using the GS-911 after the rider could not start the bike while in gear. The issue was the position of the second switch that had come out of alignment. Fixed it with a T8 adjustment screw.

Hope this helps a little.

Greetings

Helge Pedersen
http://www.globeriders.com

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
Goethe

Mole C

Dec 4, 2019, 1:12:02 PM12/4/19
to gs-911
The K1600 has a nasty overrun backfire and cuts out at low speed when the switch is defective. one micro open, the other closed

Maurice

Phil

Dec 4, 2019, 2:05:44 PM12/4/19
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know for sure but, bmw would not fit one that was not used, for cost reasons if nothing else.
As I would expect the switch to be fairly cheap I would recommend replacing it even if you had not noticed a problem. But as you have there is no excuse not to...

Phil

Maurice

Dec 4, 2019, 3:58:26 PM12/4/19
to gs-...@googlegroups.com

New old stock over 100 gbp for a few pennies worth of contact switches

Phil

Dec 4, 2019, 5:06:38 PM12/4/19
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, not too cheap after all.