Help: 2005 R1200RT ABS Front and Rear activation sensors reversed

David Updike

Apr 27, 2020, 12:29:36 PM4/27/20
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles

2005 R1200RT iABS Type 0315 Series K26

Thanks in advance for your help.

Questions:

  1. GS-911 Wifi Real Time Data  shows Front and Rear inputs reversed

    1. In Realtime ABS sensor read. Front and rear sensors appear to be swapped

      1. Squeeze in front brake GS-911  registers as rear activation

      2. Press on rear brake pedal GS-911 registers as front brake activation

    2. Is this a bug in GS-911?

    3. Assuming not. Where are the sensor terminations?

    4. iABS unit is newer than Bike per ABS ECU dump See Dump below

    5. All other functional test are good

      1. Drift, Bleed Front, Bleed Rear return succesful

    6. Is throwing low fluid code: 25193

    7. Prior bleed via JVB methods in Feb 2019

    8. Details below

History

Oct 2017 Purchased Private Sale: Questionable Service History based on discovery of non-standard cross threaded spark plug in 2019.

July 2018 Brake Fail Light Issue first appeared in Summer heat long trip

Brakes and servo operate fine.

Rear brake demonstrates ABS

Front Brake Hard Squeeze will produce Stoppie.. Rear wheel up

Intermittent .. then permanent

Feb 2019 performed full fluid bleed and replace followingJVB beemer boneyard procedure.

No significant change

     Brakes and servo operate fine.

Rear brake demonstrates ABS on full press

Front Brake Hard Squeeze produce Stoppie.. Rear wheel up.

 No indication of ABS engaged on front but no tire skid either

Red Indicator and Brake fail always flash 1 second

April 2020 GS-911Wifi Purchase

1 ABS Fault code

25193: Brake Fluid level too low

Both Visible fluid reservoirs are full. Assume Servo reservoirs are low, sensor fail or CANbus issue?

Also Noted:  In Realtime ABS sensor read. Front and rear sensors appear to be swapped

Squeeze in front brake GS-911  registers as rear activation

Press on rear brake pedal GS-911 registers as front brake activation

Could the sensor inputs be swapped at the head? Logically this would not be good for an integral ABS? But...No issues or errors for first 5K miles in possession of Bike

Controller:6400

Part #: 07698295

Hardware Index: 05

Coding Index: 0B

Manufacture Date: 2013-02-09  (Looks like ABS is newer than the bike!)

MCV: 0.5.7

FSV: 2.0.0

OSV: 3.3.0

Manufacturer: FTE

Mole C

Apr 27, 2020, 3:28:32 PM4/27/20
to gs-911
not sure what readings should say but the 1200 had linked brakes so putting on rear applied front, and front added some rear. if your fluids are low it may be the ABS needs a good bleed through. there might be connections to the block which could have been installed in reverse if someone had serviced the unit and put it back together wrong, which needs looking at as the bike could apply the wrong feedback releasing the wrong brake pre lookup leading to a spill

Maurice

David Updike

Apr 28, 2020, 1:46:38 AM4/28/20
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
Thanks Mole,

According to BMW Front Activate applies Both and Rear only applies rear. See marketing reference at bottom of post.

In GSS 911, When I apply front brake GS911 Reads Front= Inactive Rear = Active. Likewise, When I apply Rear, Front=Active and Rear=Inactive. I think this is read from the lever position sensors but I am not certain where/how they connect to the ABS ECU.

The bike feels like it operates as described. Full press on rear activates rear ABS and there is no lock or skid of rear..just stuttered release of rear brake.  Also, no noticeable activation of front brake.

Full press on front produces stoppie with rear wheel lift. That seems wrong but I'm not sure. Any opinions or experience activating front ABS in practice?

Thanks again for your help.

"With partially integral brake systems, the handlebar lever applies the brakes to both wheels, while the footbrake lever only acts on the rear wheel brake. ABS systems are a clear gain in safety compared to conventional brake systems, as frequently described in motorcycle tests."

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 3:28:32 PM UTC-4, mole wrote:
not sure what readings should say but the 1200 had linked brakes so putting on rear applied front, and front added some rear. if your fluids are low it may be the ABS needs a good bleed through. there might be connections to the block which could have been installed in reverse if someone had serviced the unit and put it back together wrong, which needs looking at as the bike could apply the wrong feedback releasing the wrong brake pre lookup leading to a spill

Maurice

Caspar Berends

Apr 28, 2020, 1:49:20 AM4/28/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Only applying front brake can indeed lead to stoppie. When using both brakes, rear would be released, which is not possible here

Thanks,
Caspar

Sendt fra iPhone min

Op 28 apr. 2020 om 07:46 heeft David Updike <updike...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gs-911/6c4bb89e-f154-44ed-903b-8337cc3c7217%40googlegroups.com.

Mole C

Apr 28, 2020, 3:42:43 AM4/28/20
to gs-911
You can't stoppie with ABS, the bike will release the front wheel to prevent lock up, something is wrong

--
Maurice

Caspar Berends

Apr 28, 2020, 3:53:01 AM4/28/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Beg to differ. Front brake will not release, due to fact that front wheel is not slipping, hence ABS does not activate.

Sendt fra iPhone min

Op 28 apr. 2020 om 09:42 heeft Mole C <mclay...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

Mole C

Apr 28, 2020, 3:57:18 AM4/28/20
to gs-911
the front wheel should never become stationary, the only exception is where front and rear become stationary i.e. on ice. if one wheel stops and dosen't release then the system design is faulty. Anyway I think by the sound of it, it is a dealership check and service to ensure 100% reliable

--
Maurice

Karl

Apr 28, 2020, 6:27:12 AM4/28/20
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
The ABS only works above a certain speed threshold (not sure of the exact value), otherwise you couldn't bring the bike to a complete stop.  If David is performing his GS-911 test with the bike stationary, when he squeezes the front brake lever the system is telling him the front ABS is inactive because the wheel speed is too low.  Likewise for the rear.

Mark Sletten

Apr 28, 2020, 8:07:37 AM4/28/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
You can perform a stoppie without locking up the front wheel.

David Updike

Apr 29, 2020, 1:44:31 AM4/29/20
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
Thanks All.  Very Helpful. Looks like I will be picking up a GS-911 cable so that I can capture stats at speed.