fault code 821 f650gs no spark

133 views
Skip to first unread message

Pia Steen

unread,
Apr 23, 2020, 9:57:40 AM4/23/20
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
Hello Forum
Hope someone can help me:)
Im standing with a BMW F650GS from 2002. The engine suddenly stopped while riding, and now there is no spark and if I press the engine start button, there is no fuel coming out from the fuel injection house.
I plugged in the GS-911 and it has one fault code, saying: : speed sensor (rpm), signal impausible. The fault is currenltly present.

This makes good sense, because from what I have found out the speed sensor is the pick up

And the signal from the ignition box goes to both the ignition coil and fuel injection.

the problem is that if i measure the resistance in the pick - up it´s correct. 232 ohm. And if i let  a little magnet pass the pick up, I can measure something, so for me it looks like it works.
Has anyone had the same kind of problem? The pickup is pretty expensive, so it would suck if that is not the thing.Same thing with the ignition box

I have also measured the wiring from the plug from the pick-up to the ignition box. No problems there

One little weird thing i have noticed is that when I turn the ignition swith off the rpm-meter is flicking a little bit. Something I can hardly see, but I noticed it because it says a little sound. I dont know if it has something to do with the problemj, but I wanted to mention it, because one of the 3 wires coming from the ignition coil is going to the rpm meter.

An other thing I noticed is there is only 25% left of the liquid on the battery, and it should have gotten a new battery this winter. But I cannot measure on the rectifier, since I can´t start the bike...

With crossed fingers
Pia from Denmark

Steve Brantingham

unread,
Apr 23, 2020, 10:15:01 AM4/23/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like that the battery cannot supply sufficient voltage for the ECU to work. You say the battery has only 25% of its liquid, so if you can take out the battery and run a load test. Then add distilled water and put on a battery charger designed for motorcycle batteries and let it charge for 24 hours the  run another load test and if good reinstall and try to start the bike.

Steve
US

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gs-911+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gs-911/939b4556-d279-441f-801b-025d77b258ff%40googlegroups.com.

James Anthony

unread,
Apr 23, 2020, 10:20:07 AM4/23/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Put the battery on the charger before adding water

On Apr 23, 2020, at 7:15 AM, Steve Brantingham <sbrn...@gmail.com> wrote:



Bill Morrison

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 2:49:52 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
What's the voltage at the battery? You need at least 12.3v for everything to run. Sounds like a dead battery.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gs-911+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gs-911/939b4556-d279-441f-801b-025d77b258ff%40googlegroups.com.


--
Bill Morrison

mick adamson

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 2:49:52 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
put a jumper cable to the battery and then try it, saves waiting for your battery to charge.


Bill Morrison

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 2:49:52 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
If you ran that battery that dry I would just get another battery. 
--
Bill Morrison

Pia Steen

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 2:49:52 AM4/24/20
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
I have charged the battery, and filled it with destilled water. It actually seems fine. When i press the starterbottom it only goes down to 9 volt, and then comes back up to 12. 5 so that seems ok


Edi Kempf

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 2:49:53 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com

To give you a good advise – bye a new Battery !

If the water-level (Acid) in the battery was during the winter already ¼ of the proper level, the lead-plattes have build oxide,

Which works as a insulter – therefore even if you refill it with new water up to the proper level,

the battery will never reach the same capacity like bevor and new troubles will follow.

 

Regards

Edi

Pia Steen Petersen

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 3:49:25 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
I know its not a good battery anymore,and should be changed! I will do that!But it’s less than two montha since it was changed to a new one-so I thought it could be a part of the problem. Since it’s “boiling” of the water/acid  so fast

Mole C

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 4:07:27 AM4/24/20
to gs-911
9 volt is quite low. does the engine turn briskly

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 07:49, Pia Steen <pste...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have charged the battery, and filled it with destilled water. It actually seems fine. When i press the starterbottom it only goes down to 9 volt, and then comes back up to 12. 5 so that seems ok


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gs-911+un...@googlegroups.com.


--
Maurice

Caspar Berends

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 5:19:33 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
If boiling off water so fast, usually means rectifier is defective. Check charging voltage if not too high

Sendt fra iPhone min

Op 24 apr. 2020 om 09:49 heeft Pia Steen Petersen <pste...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:



Budi Sujanto

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 5:57:25 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
It could have been overcharged by a malfunctioned regulator rectifier.

Pia Steen Petersen

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 5:58:31 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
I think 9 volt is ok. It’s just on 9 volt the second I press the starter button-and the it comes back over 12 volt. The engine runs fast. Like normal

Caspar Berends

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 6:22:21 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
9V is in general deemed to be too low when starting. Normally 10V is minimum

Sendt fra iPhone min

Op 24 apr. 2020 om 11:58 heeft Pia Steen Petersen <pste...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:



David Stevenson

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 7:19:25 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com

My experience (limited, an ‘enthusiastic’ User of the GS911) is that these modern BMWs are very sensitive to battery state, and although you may get a reasonable voltage during cranking it drops so much that the electronics can’t, or won’t handle it.

 

I would, in the first instance, ensure that it is topped up, perhaps check the electrolyte with one of those hydrometers in  big syringe to check that all the cells are about the same, use a BMW charger or Optimate (4 – with canbus is best but the III is also designed for the task) to give it a really good charge and then go through the test cycle (and it will attempt  desulphate if it thinks it needs to), reset any fault with the GS911, then check the electrolyte again, then if ok have another go.  If it works, monitor it for a while to see if the battery is still ok or not.  Personally I think it’s worth going through all that before spending the money on a new and expensive battery, but that’s just me.

 

I’m guessing, by the way, that the one you bought is a cheaper liquid lead acid battery as you have talked about topping it up; I believe an AGM one is recommended, but I have used one of the liquid ones in the past (Yuasa I think) and it was fine for around five years, but then I didn’t let it lose its liquid ;-)

 

Good luck with it.

 

David

 

From: gs-...@googlegroups.com <gs-...@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Caspar Berends


Sent: 24 April 2020 11:22
To: gs-...@googlegroups.com

Herbert Naegele

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 7:46:27 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
The first thing you need to know is whether all the cells start to boil. if only one or two cooks, the battery is clearly defective. I've experienced this several times in my time as a mechanic. 

Good Luck
Herbert

Steve Brantingham

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 8:00:02 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
In my experience with batteries when you try to start as you have and the voltage drops below about 10.5 v then the batteries is damaged internally as needs to be replaced. The engine may turn over seemingly ok but the voltage is still to low to allow the ECU to provide sufficient spark for the engine to start and run. As other have suggested, the battery should be replaced. When you do replace it before installing it check the water level and add if necessary then put it on a charger for 24 hours, then install it. Then check the voltage when you push the starter button for a reference for later, it should stay fairly high.


Tom Cutter

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 9:10:53 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
The problem with that bike is a bad battery. Until that is replaced, bizarre faults will continue.

Tom Cutter
Rubber Chicken Racing Garage 
Yardley, PA USA 
RubberChickenRacingGarage.com

On Apr 24, 2020, at 6:22 AM, Caspar Berends <berend...@gmail.com> wrote:

9V is in general deemed to be too low when starting. Normally 10V is minimum

Bill Morrison

unread,
Apr 24, 2020, 9:57:04 AM4/24/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
The voltage drops because you put a load on it so don't worry about what the voltage is when starting it. Give your new battery a good charge and keep it on a automatic battery maintenance charger (Optimate 1 is what I use) when not riding it. Ride safe and stay healthy!

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 2:49 AM Pia Steen <pste...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have charged the battery, and filled it with destilled water. It actually seems fine. When i press the starterbottom it only goes down to 9 volt, and then comes back up to 12. 5 so that seems ok


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gs-911+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gs-911/f73c6fa6-823f-4b20-bbb7-18f689e2aea9%40googlegroups.com.


--
Bill Morrison

mick adamson

unread,
Apr 27, 2020, 12:29:36 PM4/27/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
9v won't work, it's dropping too much.

Bill Morrison

unread,
Apr 28, 2020, 1:46:38 AM4/28/20
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
Just to be sure, fill with distilled water then give it a full charge. With the ignition on and bike not running you should have about 12.3v of higher. 


On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 12:29:36 PM UTC-4, mick adamson wrote:
9v won't work, it's dropping too much.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 6:57 AM Bill Morrison <bmorr...@gmail.com> wrote:
The voltage drops because you put a load on it so don't worry about what the voltage is when starting it. Give your new battery a good charge and keep it on a automatic battery maintenance charger (Optimate 1 is what I use) when not riding it. Ride safe and stay healthy!

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 2:49 AM Pia Steen <pste...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have charged the battery, and filled it with destilled water. It actually seems fine. When i press the starterbottom it only goes down to 9 volt, and then comes back up to 12. 5 so that seems ok


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gs-...@googlegroups.com.


--
Bill Morrison

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gs-...@googlegroups.com.

Bill Morrison

unread,
Apr 28, 2020, 1:46:38 AM4/28/20
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
With the bike running you should have about 13.5v or higher.


On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 12:29:36 PM UTC-4, mick adamson wrote:
9v won't work, it's dropping too much.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 6:57 AM Bill Morrison <bmorr...@gmail.com> wrote:
The voltage drops because you put a load on it so don't worry about what the voltage is when starting it. Give your new battery a good charge and keep it on a automatic battery maintenance charger (Optimate 1 is what I use) when not riding it. Ride safe and stay healthy!

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 2:49 AM Pia Steen <pste...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have charged the battery, and filled it with destilled water. It actually seems fine. When i press the starterbottom it only goes down to 9 volt, and then comes back up to 12. 5 so that seems ok


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gs-...@googlegroups.com.


--
Bill Morrison

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gs-...@googlegroups.com.

Mole C

unread,
Apr 28, 2020, 3:45:26 AM4/28/20
to gs-911
if you need to fill with so much distilled water the acid is likely to have partially evaporated as well (though it is heavier than the water). The acid mix is probably wrong which will limit the reaction and therefore voltage/amperage available

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gs-911+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gs-911/77c40ef8-a870-42d3-9980-e3ff389b4069%40googlegroups.com.


--
Maurice

Pia Steen Petersen

unread,
Apr 28, 2020, 6:42:17 AM4/28/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com

Problem solved:)

There were a lot of small metal shavings sitting on the pick up sensor (where they come from I don’t know). But I cleaned the sensor. And now the spark is back. 
I also changed the battery even though it seemed to be fine. But just to be sure. 
Thank you for you answers!
-Pia

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages