our recommendations

NCAS

Sep 8, 2011, 5:23:40 AM9/8/11
to grassroots...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends,

I attach our recommendations to the government on the draft LA & R&R Bill, and some press coverage of the National Consultation which many of you so kindly supported and participated in. In addition NCAS Chhatisgarh and Odisha also co-organised regional  consultations.

These recommendations were sent to the email address indicated by the Ministry of Rural development within the stipulated time. We waited to receive an acknowledgement that did not come. Instead all of us received a rude shock at the retrogressive nature of the bill approved by the cabinet yesterday.

Instead of moving forward, many of the provisions in the draft bill that could have taken us towards a non-colonial dispensation have been rolled back. The unkindest cut is the decision not to give R&R to those who do not own land but are affected by the acquisition, as one of the important ideas that came out of the consultation was to seek attraction of R&R provisions not on the basis of land acquired but on the basis of population affected.

And of course, the moot point remains as to how can state collude in coercive transfer of assets especially when it is not ready to demonstrate public good as against private profit as the primary objective of acquisition?  We think that that this would be a preposterous position for a government that is seeking wider legitimacy and "growth with a human face".

We seek your indulgence in making these points even more forcefully.

My best regards as ever,

Sehjo Singh
Executive Director

--

National Centre for Advocacy Studies (NCAS)
Serenity Complex, Ramnagar Colony

To ensure transparency and accountability in its work, NCAS is working towards an Open Information Policy and a Complaints and Response Policy. We'd be happy to share information and respond to your complaints, if any.

Visit web site | Reply to sender | Click here to unsubscribe (Please add 'Unsubscribe' in subject line)

image002.png
recommendations from NCAS, Pune.pdf
lokmat24aug2011.pdf
raipur-deshbandhu 001.jpg