LSU Sweet Potato Seed Order for 2023

Timmerman, Anna

Nov 28, 2022, 10:06:49 AM11/28/22
to gn...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
The LSU Sweet Potato Station is again offering an assortment of certified seed cultivars this year. Quantities are limited, but there's still a nice selection of them up for grabs. They are asking each grower to fill out an individual order form (enclosed) and return it to me to send as one file for our area. I'll be able to pick up the orders in Baton Rouge this spring and bring them back to New Orleans for pick up so you don't get charged a delivery fee. Orders are due to the station by January 13th, but please have them back to me to send in by January 10th

'Beauregard' and 'Evangeline' are $18.50/40 lb. box.
'Orleans', 'Bayou Belle', 'Bellevue', 'Bonita', 'Porto Rico', 'Sakura', 'Burgundy', and 'Murasaki' are $25.00/40 lb. box.

For a quick reference guide to all the different cultivars:
Soil Rot is a soil-borne disease favored by dry soil and pH above 5.2. Under severe disease pressure, a susceptible variety such as Jewel produces only a few distorted canner-size roots and no marketable yield while and intermediate-resistant variety such as Beauregard produces a normal yield but some roots may have a few lesions on them.
In my experience, 'Beauregard', 'Evangeline', and 'Orleans' have done well in our area, the others, especially the reds and purples do ok but yield lower, though they get a higher price at the markets. They need good, loose soil that drains well, so either raised beds or bermed up rows. They like to grow in soil with good organic matter and a little sand. A 40 lb. box will make you enough slips to do 1,000+ feet of row at 18" spacing (on average). Few pest/disease issues here of note other than root rot. Reach out with any questions if you'd like to place an order. Folks can split boxes too if you don't need the whole box.

Anna Elizabeth Timmerman

Associate Extension Agent- Horticulture

LSU AgCenter- Greater New Orleans Area

St. Bernard, Plaquemines Parishes (Primary Agent)

8201 Judge Perez Drive, Chalmette, LA 70043

LA Landscape Horticulturalist #152512

Certified Nursery & Landscape Professional (CNLP)

(504) 278-4239 (Office)

(312) 846-0689 (Cell for M-F 8 AM-4:30 PM)

(504) 736- 6527 (Fax)

      To Subscribe to GNO Gardening Magazine click.  And Check out past issues.
GNO Gardening is a FREE monthly gardening emagazine written specifically for southern LA with seasonally timed articles. Sent to your inbox every month.

1518120695622_LSU

OrderForm2023.xlsx