Now Hiring - Garden Technician

Caleb Brown

Jul 11, 2022, 2:45:11 PM7/11/22
to GNO Growers Alliance
Dear GNOGA colleagues and friends,

We have found some great team members through this network in the past, and we keep getting calls from people who want us to work in their yards so I'm reaching out again. If you or someone you know would like to join our gardening crew, the description and application procedure are below. I hope everyone is staying cool and your gardens survived that crazy drought at the end of spring!

Thank you,
Caleb Brown
Founder, Garden Gnome Plantscapes

***

Now Hiring - Garden Technician
July 11, 2022

We are looking for one or two full-time gardeners to join our team of individuals who love plants and care about beautifying New Orleans. Ideally this will be a long-term relationship.

Working mostly uptown between the Lower Garden District and Audubon neighborhoods, Marigny, and Old Metairie, typical tasks include weeding, pruning, planting, and debris cleanup as well as periodic larger installation and renovation jobs. You must be able to work outside in the heat, lift heavy things, use sharp tools safely, and not be afraid of getting dirty or poked by thorns. Your work will be held to a very high level of perfection. You will learn a lot about many different topics, and you will get to look at pretty plants and listen to the birds all day.

We work year round, usually Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. Pay starts at $18/hr on biweekly payroll, with a $200 bonus and a raise to $20/hr after a 90 day training/orientation period. Individuals who hold horticulture-related licenses in Louisiana (horticulturist, arborist, irrigation, florist, pesticide applicator etc) are eligible for additional wage increases up to and beyond $24/hr. Other benefits (insurance, retirement) may be options as well. We provide hand tools and uniforms at no cost to employees. You will need your own transportation to job sites. Schedules can be largely self-driven after the training period.

Previous experience in the nursery or landscape industry is helpful but not necessary, especially if you have personal garden experience. In your application it may also help to mention any knowledge of pest control, hardscaping, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, marketing, graphic design, business skills, retail skills, or anything else that could be relevant to a growing garden company. Education of any type is a bonus but not required.

To submit your application, please send an email to garden.gnome...@gmail.com including:

1. A formal cover letter (not just a paragraph in an email) explaining your qualifications and interest,
2. Your current resume, and
3. Three professional and/or garden references.

Finally, send a text message to Caleb at (504) 266-1664 with your name saying that you applied. Applicants who do not follow this procedure will not be considered. This position is open immediately. We are an equal opportunity employer.

***
***