Reminder of UAIP meeting today on zoom

Marguerite Green

Nov 29, 2022, 12:50:29 PM11/29/22
to GNO Growers Alliance
Hello everyone!

This a reminder that the USDA's Urban Agriculture and Innovative Production Advisory Committee (UAIPAC) Public Meeting is today at 2 pm. A little context for those who might think it's a sea of acronyms (it is...):

The USDA is working to better address the needs of urban ag communities based on provisions in the 2018 farm bill. Yes, this is how long it can take to see movement on policy work from 2018! Due to this work, New Orleans is one of 15 cities with a pilot Urban Agriculture County Committee. Your elected committee is Mr. Mike Beauchamp, Tom Nguyen, and Myself (Margee). Because this is a pilot project, it's still unclear all that we're able to do as part of this committee, but we're paving the way in understanding the function of the committee. We were able to review disaster payments from weather incidents in 2022 on farms. That's very cool and lays the groundwork for us to have a good process for financial assistance to farms post storms.

Your Urban County Committee members are excited to figure out how we can assist in the coming years, but we're still on a learning journey ourselves! Today's meeting can help provide insight into how these programs are coming down to us from the federal government! Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions, and I hope some people submitted comments that will be read today!

Thanks!
Margee

--
Marguerite Green  (she/ her)