Gorbals Vampire

1 view

Carl Cross

Mar 22, 2010, 10:28:50 AM3/22/10
to Graphic Novels in Libraries UK
Been a bit quiet around here lately. Quiet as the grave...

Afternoon.

This was shamelessly pinched from a Twitter feed so some of you may
have already seen it:

http://bit.ly/d6cuIU

I thought I knew a bit about the horror comics controversy of the mid
50s but I'd never heard of the Gorbals Vampire. I'll try to remember
to catch it on the iPlayer to find out more.

And kudos to Stuart Nicholson for first of all recognising that the
Dandy and the Beano were both Scottish and for calling both them and
the EC titles “comics”, as comics they were and not “graphic novels”.

Carl.

Boz

Mar 22, 2010, 11:47:26 AM3/22/10
to Graphic Novels in Libraries UK
Yeah, I'd all but forgotten about this place.

Excellent news story. The Beano and Dandy are, of course, from D. C.
Thompson in Dundee. A few years back some visionary managed to get a
huge sign, reading 'Dundee' in the Dandy typeface, erected high up on
the side of Law Hill, towering over the city and visible as you
approached from across the Tay. The city fathers thought it vulgar,
though. So, it was taken down. There's still life-size statues of
Desperate Dan and Minnie the Minx in the Square, though. Good comic-
book town, Dundee.

Also, I was up there a couple of weekends ago for the D-Con manga
convention at Dundee University. Some very impressive exhibitors...

Andrew Edwards

Mar 22, 2010, 11:49:03 AM3/22/10
to gnl...@googlegroups.com
If anyone has any photos of the 'Dundee' sign, I'd love to see it!

Andrew Edwards

Website: http://s2.webstarts.com/andrewedwards/index.html

Blog: Mad About Comics - http://andrew-madaboutcomics.blogspot.com/

> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:47:26 -0700
> Subject: [GNLIBUK] Re: Gorbals Vampire
> From: b...@blackmask.org.uk
> To: gnl...@googlegroups.com

Boz

Mar 22, 2010, 1:05:41 PM3/22/10
to Graphic Novels in Libraries UK
Had a quick Google and couldn't find any of the Law, I'll ask around.

Here's a good shot of Dan being taunted by Minnie...

http://i.pbase.com/u35/stevanhogg/large/40414030.DesperateDanStatueInDundee.jpg

On Mar 22, 3:49 pm, Andrew Edwards <andrew.edwa...@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote:

> If anyone has any photos of the 'Dundee' sign, I'd love to see it!
>
> Andrew Edwards
>
> Website:http://s2.webstarts.com/andrewedwards/index.html

> Blog: Mad About Comics -http://andrew-madaboutcomics.blogspot.com/

> Tell us your greatest, weirdest and funniest Hotmail storieshttp://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/- Hide quoted text -

Mark Benjamin

Mar 22, 2010, 1:14:18 PM3/22/10
to gnl...@googlegroups.com
Afraid my father was one of the "unlikely alliance of teachers, communists and Christians" involved in this campaign - I remember having several discussions with him, many years later, about the pros and cons of the argument - he being a Communist and me an anarchist!

Mark