Missing 26,000 emails in all mail

Kancunkid

Feb 9, 2009, 9:12:57 AM2/9/09
to GMusers- GMail Beta & Beyond, all...@cancuvista.com
I am missing over 26,000 emails in my all mail folder. I have reported
this twice to support but have not heard a peep from them. Has anyone
else had any problems? I am very concered because some of the
information was sensitive and I would hope that at least they would
contact me to let me know if my account was compromised or not. The
day before my emails went missing one of my employees had all of her
archived mail put back into her inbox.

Tom Marr

Feb 9, 2009, 10:03:15 AM2/9/09
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
I  had the same thing happen months ago. I pinged the web and read that many people have had this problem. I sent email to Google support and never heard back. I made the incorrect assumption that email was safe in my account and as a result lost a lot of   information that was important to  me.

Andrew Ingraham

Feb 9, 2009, 10:19:02 AM2/9/09
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
> I am missing over 26,000 emails in my all mail folder. I have reported
> this twice to support but have not heard a peep from them. Has anyone
> else had any problems?

Over the years I have seen a few stories from others with similar
problems. In some cases they reported back to say that it was a
temporary problem. (Which is not meant to imply that they were all
like that.)

But with Gmail being Beta-test software, and you being one of its
Beta-testers, it's not unexpected that glitches like this could
happen.

> I am very concered because some of the
> information was sensitive and I would hope that at least they would
> contact me to let me know if my account was compromised or not.

How would they know if your account was compromised? I'm assuming by
"compromised" you mean it was accessed by someone other than yourself.
If someone guessed at (or otherwise obtained) your password and
accessed your account, there is no way Google could have known that it
wasn't you. That's the whole idea of a password, to tell them you are
you.

Andy

KancunKid

Feb 9, 2009, 1:10:06 PM2/9/09
to GMusers- GMail Beta & Beyond
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the email bud. Google can look at the IP addresses that access my account, (there are only 2), and see if it had been accessed by an unusual IP. I can look at my access logs provided by Google but only for a few days back and I am sure that Google can check access logs a lot further back and tell me if anything stands out. What is odd is that my employee had all her archived mails moved back to her inbox and the next day was when mine went missing. I do have all those emails backed up in another location but I am concerned that someone else might have them also. I know that if someone did hack into my account they would more likely leave the emails in place and just copy the information so as to not arouse suspicion but I would like to know if this is a glitch or I need to begin the arduous task of changing passwords and other sensitive info. Due to the nature of my business, (ecommerce), I regularly check my computers for keystroke loggers and other such malware so I know that is not the problem. I know that if there was a glitch in the system Google would know and should inform their clients as such. I spend over $30,000 dollars a year, (I know, small potatoes), with Google adwords and I believe that entitles me to a one line email stating either yes we had a problem or no we did not just so I could sleep better at night. I will be attending Google's AdWords seminar starting Wednesday and maybe I can get some answers there. Thanks for listening to my rant and if I do get any kind of response from Google I will be sure to post it in the forum.

Allen Magers

Zack (Doc)

Feb 9, 2009, 1:35:22 PM2/9/09
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
If you depend on your e-mail for your business (you imply this with
your phrasing), then I really think it's probably not the smartest
idea to use a free/beta product for this critical need. Beta testers
(which as a GMail user) are typically NOT informed of problems in
advance since it's in the nature of beta to have problems. I would
not expect them to inform you as a free user.

I would suspect that if you had the paid version, which comes with
telephonic support, that you would be able to get your answer quickly.
Seeing as the paid version is not that expensive, I'd call it an
excellent investment.
--

Niels Bohr - "An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes
that can be made in a very narrow field."

KancunKid

Feb 9, 2009, 3:51:20 PM2/9/09
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
That is not what I said. I do not depend on gmail for anything but storage and for their quick and reliable search features. I do have my data backed up in 2 other locations. As you say it is free but as I stated in my previous email I do spend over $30,000 with their company and believe me even though that is not much they know that a client registered with my email address does pay money. I do like the idea of the paid version and will look into it. On another subject, how many years has gmail been in beta? How long did adwords stay in beta? Not very long.

Warwick Beadle

Feb 9, 2009, 1:29:46 PM2/9/09
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allen,

Dumb question but how do you backup GMail emails?  Is there a process that will perform this function in bulk?

Look forward to hearing any resolution you might get at the seminar.

Thanks
Warwick

Nick Chirchirillo

Feb 9, 2009, 7:01:31 PM2/9/09
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
Email is a far more complicated system than adwords is.  Plus, we may never know how long adwords was beta for because I'm sure it was beta BEFORE Google even was.  How long did it take for Google it self to get out of beta?
--
-Nick

KancunKid

Feb 10, 2009, 3:39:37 PM2/10/09
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Warwick,

No question is dumb Warick although I have to admit I've heard some pretty stupid answers. I was unclear. I don't backup my gmail. What I do is backup my domain mail in the exchange server in my office that is then backed up once a week incrementally on a 500 gig removable disk and also on my personal machine at my office. All of these mails are also forwarded to gmail as and extra precaution. I have always been a firm believer in redundancy. Good thing I didn't rely on gmail only huh?