GMarks will not work with future releases of FF (release 41 and up) due to it being unsigned

Jammer

Sep 2, 2015, 2:19:54 PM9/2/15
to GMarks
Hi All:

I'm on the Firefox Beta channel and get early releases of new Firefox versions.  Ever since the first beta release of version FF 41, Firefox has disabled GMarks by default and there is no way to have it re-enabled.  This is because starting with FF 41 all add-ons (extensions and plugins) will be disabled by FF if the add-on has not been signed by Mozilla.

Here's some background information on this new signing requirement (you can also visit Mozilla's site at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-on-signing-in-firefox?as=u&utm_source=inproduct for more details on this):

Add-on signing in Firefox

Add-ons that change your browser's settings without your consent or steal your information have become increasingly common. Some add-ons add unwanted toolbars or buttons, change your search settings or inject ads or malware into your device. This article explains how add-on signing protects you against such threats.

What is add-on signing?

Mozilla verifies and "signs" add-ons that follow a set of guidelines to ensure that users' information will not be stolen or manipulated. All add-ons hosted on addons.mozilla.org undergo this review process in order to be verified and signed. Add-ons hosted on other sites will need to follow the same guidelines in order to be signed by Mozilla.

Add-on signing targets only malware and browser hijacking. It does not control or censor the content that you choose to see.

Developers: Learn more about add-on signing guidelines at Mozilla Developer Network.

What can I do if Firefox disables an installed, unsigned add-on?

If any of your installed add-ons gets disabled because it hasn't been verified, contact the add-on developer or vendor to see if they can offer an updated and signed version of that add-on. You can also ask them to get their add-on signed.

What all this means is that unless GMarks is submitted to Mozilla for signing, this awesome, extremely useful extension will no longer be allowed to work with FF release 41 and beyond.  Ever.

I have been forced to find a different Google bookmarks extension to use.  So far, Fess Google Bookmark Extension is a reasonable replacement for GMarks, but it lacks some features that I've come to rely on in GMarks.  The biggest issue with Fess is that it doesn't allow you to keep your sub-folders open (if you have nested bookmarks) -- each time you want to navigate to links in a sub-folder, you'd need to painfully open each folder to get to that link.

As GMarks is not officially supported anymore (by its developer or by anyone else), I don't expect it to ever be submitted to Mozilla for verification and signing.  I'm sad to see this wonderful utility go way.

Zinyth

Dec 3, 2015, 8:52:32 AM12/3/15
to GMarks
Thank you, Fess google bookmark Extension is quite good. Integration is not, IMHO , as good as Gmarks one, but it will be a good replacement.

David C.

Dec 22, 2015, 9:39:09 AM12/22/15
to GMarks
It will work in FF43 if you disable signature checking by going to about:config and setting the xpinstall.signatures.required preference to false.

But this capability will be removed from FF44.

Is there any possible way for you to publish your update in order to get it signed?  It appears that the original code was released under the MPL1.1 (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/MPL/1.1/) license.  The terms there seem to be GPL-like, so you should be able to release your modified version (although probably not as a new revision to the original without cooperation from John Marshall.)

-- David

shitamo

Jan 18, 2016, 8:08:53 AM1/18/16
to GMarks
I had signed. However bug has not been fixed.
It is not considered the same extension because the ID has changed.

gmarks-1.0.53-fx.xpi

David C.

Jan 26, 2016, 10:14:00 AM1/26/16
to GMarks
Thanks for the link.  It seems to work, and is recognized as signed by Firefox, so version 44 should accept it.

You're right that the warning message when editing/adding a bookmark is still displayed, but the changes are still saved in Google.  So it works as well as Zinyth's "1.0.5-unofficial_zinyth_fx" version.

Thank you for doing this.

Benjamin Niu

Jan 26, 2016, 4:09:06 PM1/26/16
to gma...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, shitamo!  The signed version worked for me (FF v44.0).  This is truly a God-send.

HEV

Feb 4, 2016, 2:11:36 PM2/4/16
to GMarks
If someone miss :)
Today iIt is signed officially. :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/gmarks/

David C.

Feb 5, 2016, 11:15:41 AM2/5/16
to GMarks
That version (1.0.3.3.1-signed, from 2011) will install, but it has critical bugs.

In particular, Google changed their API since this version was written (note that it is functionally the same as version 1.0.2, from 2009, simply updated to be compatible with later versions of Firefox.)  As a result, it will read your bookmarks, but if you use GMarks to save/modify/delete any bookmarks, the action will fail.

Shitamo's 1.0.53-fx is based on Zinyth's version (1.0.5-unofficial_zinyth_fx) from 2013, which works with Google's current server.  Adding/modifying bookmarks causes an error message to be displayed, but the changes are saved with Google.

A proper fix (to eliminate the errors and support automatic sign-on with the current Google server) would be nice, but no such version exists at this time.

-- David

ChiRing Chu

Jun 9, 2016, 10:51:25 AM6/9/16
to GMarks
yes, the author wont fix it....

Alex Worrell

Aug 2, 2016, 3:56:24 PM8/2/16
to GMarks
Absolute lifesaver. Thank you so much. I just wonder how long the life of this amazing extension can keep being extended. I have never come across another one that gives as good functionality.

Ron Mideiros

Aug 3, 2016, 1:00:38 AM8/3/16
to GMarks
Agreed!

Alex

Dec 6, 2016, 2:27:11 AM12/6/16
to GMarks
Hi,

Firefox 50.0.2. Gmarks still working but display script error when FF starting. Also FF starting is significantly slower.

Please try to find solution. Gmarks is great plugin.
I can not find a single plugin that works with google bookmarks

Best !

Hylton Conacher

Feb 11, 2017, 4:50:45 AM2/11/17
to GMarks
Wonder if anyone can comment on qhether this issue is fixed as I am about to install on FF version 51.0.1 (64-bit)?

kriirk

Feb 25, 2017, 10:46:38 PM2/25/17
to GMarks
Just tested it on portable version of FF 51. Very fast start-up.