New cases of Banna virus infection have recently been found in China.

Stephane P. Rousseau (RCU)

Mar 8, 2010, 11:43:09 PM3/8/10
to GMS Network on Japanese Encephalitis (JE)
FYI
_______________________
Stéphane P. Rousseau (Mr)
Regional Coordinator

Regional Coordination Unit (RCU)
Asian Development Bank
Greater Mekong Subregion
Communicable Diseases Control Project
Room 2104, 21st Floor,
Thanh Cong Tower,
57 Lang Ha Street,
Ba Dinh District, Hanoi – VIET NAM
Tel: +844 3514 79 33
Fax: +844 3514 80 12
Email: gms.c...@gmail.com
Website: www.gms-cdc.org/
Skype: rcu_gms_cdc

Banna Virus – China

New cases of Banna virus infection have recently been found in China. There have been twenty cases that have been discovered. Researchers and analysts have isolated the new cases and have been trying to ascertain their presence and spread in the country. The Banna virus infection is usually confused with the Japanese encephalitis virus as well.

It has been found that the new cases have been spread through the tropical area to the temperate climates. Some of the species from which the virus infection was gathered included cattle, mosquitoes, ticks, pigs and even humans patients of the disease.

http://www.ubalert.com/a/15780

Stephane P. Rousseau (RCU)

Mar 9, 2010, 1:44:12 AM3/9/10
to GMS Network on Japanese Encephalitis (JE)
Dear All,

As usual, we welcome any feedback on articles shared in this network; please, see below Kimberly's feedback on this article sent out today.
With warmest thank to Kim for that!

Good day to all!
Stephane

Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 01:29:45 -0500 (EST)

From: ProMED-mail <pro...@promed.isid.harvard.edu>

Subject: PRO/AH/EDR> Banna virus encephalitis - China

BANNA VIRUS ENCEPHALITIS - CHINA

********************************

A ProMED-mail post

<http://www.promedmail.org>

ProMED-mail is a program of the

International Society for Infectious Diseases <http://www.isid.org>

Date: March 2010

Source: Emerging Infectious Diseases Vol. 16 No. 3 [summ. & edited] <http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/16/3/514.htm>

[ProMED usually does not report historical accounts in published journal articles, since they do not cover disease outbreaks currently or very recently underway. However, because reports of cases of Banna virus infection and its epidemiology have been relatively few, clinically it can be confused with Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV) infections and is sympatric in its distribution with JEV, this report is being posted along with a call for public health authorities in Asia to consider it in rule-outs during the diagnosis process of viral encephalitis cases. - Mod.TY]

Ref: Banna virus, China, 1987­2007.

Emerg Infect Dis [serial on the Internet]. 2010 Mar [date cited] <http://www.cdc.gov/EID/content/16/3/514.htm>

Liu H, Li M-H, Zhai Y-G, Meng W-S, Sun X-H, Cao Y-X, et al.

Abstract

- --------

Banna viruses (BAVs) have been isolated from pigs, cattle, ticks, mosquitoes, and human encephalitis patients. We isolated and analyzed 20 BAVs newly isolated in China; this finding extends the distribution of BAVs from tropical zone to north temperate climates and demonstrate regional variations in BAV phylogeny and mosquito species possibly involved in BAV transmission.

Introduction

- ------------

Banna virus (BAV), the prototype species of genus Seadornavirus within the family Reoviridae, has a genome composed of 12 segments of double-stranded RNA (1). BAV was initially isolated from persons with encephalitis and fever in Xishuangbanna, Yunnan Province, People's Republic of China, in 1987. Since then, BAV isolates have been obtained from pigs, cattle, and ticks in China and from mosquitoes in Indonesia, China, and Vietnam. BAV is a BioSafety Level 3 arboviral agent that is pathogenic to humans and may well be an emerging pathogen or undiagnosed cause of human viral encephalitis in some areas. Our objective was to describe new BAV isolates from China and to define the geographic distribution and the phylogenetic relationships of these isolates with reference to the previously described isolates.

Results

- -------

Before our study, BAV had been isolated from 7 mosquito species in 2 genera (Culex tritaeniorhynchus, Cx. pipiens pallens, Cx.

annulus, Cx. pseudovishnui, Cx. modestus, Anopheles sinensis, and Aedes vagus). To this list we now add 3 species in the genus Aedes (Ae.

albopictus, Ae. vexans, and Ae. dorsalis), which are widely distributed in China and elsewhere.

Phylogenetic analysis based on the complete coding sequence (624 nt) of the 12th segment of the BAV genome indicated that the BAV isolates evaluated in this study could be divided into 2 phylogenetically different groups. Isolates from China and Vietnam are included in group A, and the strains from Indonesia are in group B. Group A could be further divided into 2 subgroups, A1 and A2. Subgroup A1 includes 4 independent clades that group according to the location of collection and represent viruses from northern China (Gansu, Shanxi, and Liaoning Provinces) as well as the Viet Nam isolates. Subgroup A2 includes isolates mainly from southern China (Yunnan Province) and Viet Nam, which is contiguous with Yunnan Province of China, as well as 2 isolates from northern China (BJ95-75/Beijing, and NM0706/Inner Mongolia).

Conclusions

- -----------

Our results demonstrate that BAV strains are distributed from the tropics of Southeast Asia to the northern temperate regions of China. These observations suggest that the distribution of BAV is wider than previously recognized and may be increasing. Consistent with previous observations, we report that BAV isolates from China cluster in group A and separate into subgroups mainly according to the geographic origin of the isolate; subgroup A1 is found in the north and subgroup A2 in the south. However,

2 isolates from northern China grouped in subgroup A2 (south), and 3 isolates from Vietnam grouped in subgroup A1 (north).

Further study is required to determine if winds and birds are involved in dispersal of the virus.

Our observations suggest that the public health impact of BAV may be underestimated. BAV appears to be actively circulating in areas where Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV) is endemic and where C. tritaeniorhynchus, which is the main vector of JEV, is active. This mosquito also appears to be a common vector of BAV. The clinical symptoms of disease caused by the 2 viruses is similar, and BAV cases may be undetected during a JE outbreak. It has been reported that approx. 14 percent of clinically diagnosed JE cases are BAV immunoglobulin (Ig) M positive, indicating that BAV epidemics may have occurred but have been clinically misdiagnosed as Japanese encephalitis. The apparent active transmission of BAV over a large geographic area, genetic variation between geographic regions, and the potential to cause severe disease underscore the need for additional surveillance, further characterization, and improved diagnostic systems worldwide.

- --

Communicated by:

ProMED-mail

<pro...@promedmail.org>

[A map showing the location of the provinces in China can be accessed at <http://www.chinahighlights.com/map/china-provincial-map/>

A map showing the location of Xishuangbanna in Yunnan province, China can be accessed at <http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/yunnan/xishuangbanna/>

A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of China can be accessed at <http://healthmap.org/promed/en?v=36.5,103.9,4>. - Mod.TY] ............................sb/mpp/ty/ejp/mpp

This message was scanned for viruses with Trend Micro ScanMail, GFI MailSecurity and GFI MailEssentials by the World Health Organization Regional Office for the Western Pacific. However, the recipient is advised to scan this e-mail and any attached files for viruses.

Disclaimer:

This e-mail, together with any attachments, is intended for the named recipients only and is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by law.

If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete it and any attachments from your system. You may not copy or disclose its contents to anyone.