FTP-MD: First take on Trump disqualification for Colorado ballot

Charlie Cooper

Dec 20, 2023, 7:05:40 AM12/20/23
to Betsy Krieger, Jennifer Downs, d. susan radke, Max Obuszewski, Larry Stafford, Danny Golombek, Rose Deane Kinder, Victoria Vestrich, Thomas K. Smith, Jean Athey, Emily Bruce, Cristi Demnowicz, carl snowden, Jacob Kravetz, barrie friedland, State Organizer Hal Ginsberg, Michelle Koul, Nancy Lawler, CHARLES SHAFER, gmom-vo...@googlegroups.com, Arlene Ogurick, Joanne Antoine, Shayne Dizard, Barbara Noveau, Barbara Noveau, Cecilia Plante, Daphne, car...@ourrevolution.com, Sheila Ruth, Argentine Craig, Ben Tabatabai, Nabalungi (Naba) Akinshegin, Mj Monck, Christine Lemyze, Mark Weaver, Indivisible Montgomery, Marvin Doc Cheatham, Anaya Smith, Michael Puskar, - Lennart Elmlund, Joan Bellet Roache, indivisibleworcestermd.org, Stephanie Gregory, EDEN DURBIN, Ernesto Villaseñor, Susan Zengerle, aileen alex, MD Legislative Coalition, everyon...@googlegroups.com, Toby Perkins, Richard and Joann MOORE, Allies for Democracy, rrei...@gmail.com, Carol Goldstein, Judy Bass, Anne George, Joan Jacobson, Sarah Bur, Gary Gillespie, Emily Scarr, Judith Schagrin, R Coleman, Debra Brown Felser, Kobi Little, vhar...@commoncause.org, brian gamble, Sharon Glass, Elizabeth Getzoff, Michael Rosenblum, Lillian Lillian Freudenberger, Jay Steinmetz, Paulette Hammond, Tony Langbehn, Liz Enagonio, Meena Sahu, Julia Ridgely, Carol Wynne, Lsfran...@gmail.com, Janet Millenson, Nikki Tyree, con...@lwvbaltimorecounty.org, Chris Tallent, Mary Jo Kirschman, Sue Fothergill, tan...@his.com
FTP-MD_Logo_new_083021.png
Colleagues:

We had a good meeting with Sen. Cheryl Kagan's chief of staff regarding our idea for a bill to bar ineligible candidates from Maryland general election ballots. Only a few minutes later, the announcement came from the Colorado Supreme Court that Trump is banned from that state's primary ballot. I have attached today's court order from Colorado disqualifying Donald Trump from the presidential primary ballot in that state. In the very first paragraph it says:
Because he is disqualified, it would be a wrongful act under the Election Code for the Colorado Secretary of State to list him as a candidate on the presidential primary ballot.

There we can see clearly the interplay between the U.S. Constitutional qualification for office and state law. He is disqualified because of the 14th Amendment, but removal from the ballot is based on state law. Maryland has no law barring ineligible candidates from primary or general election ballots. It now appears that the U.S. Supreme Court will decide on Trump's appeal from the Colorado order, but it's not clear how broadly or narrowly they will rule. We hope the Maryland General Assembly will find that the gap in our state law should be bridged -- not only because of Trump -- but because there should be clear procedures to enforce qualifications for every office in our nation and our State of Maryland.
If your organization has not joined in support of this bill concept, I hope you will review the matter and come on board. However disruptive it may seem to remove a candidate from ballots, it would be more disruptive to remove a person from office after the voters have elected an unqualified candidate.

Colorado_Supreme_Court_23SA300.pdf

Charlie Cooper

Dec 26, 2023, 10:21:17 AM12/26/23
[...]

Colleagues, Sen. Kagan's staff reported that she feels there is insufficient time to craft a bill with all the issues it presents. We will meet this evening at 7:30 pm for a brief brainstorming session about how and whether to move forward. - Charlie, 410-624-6095

GMOM and For the People -- Maryland teleconference

Meeting, Tuesday, December 26, 7:30 pm

2 ways to join
1) Dial 1 301 715 8592, meeting ID: 931 3066 2622. Password: 173976.
2) Click on your device if you have downloaded the app from Zoom.

Meeting Agenda - How to move forward on a bill to bar ineligible candidates from the ballot.

Arlene Ogurick

Dec 26, 2023, 5:15:53 PM12/26/23
to GMOM-vo...@googlegroups.com
not available to attend - Arlene