Call for a Po to Celebrate an Amazing Turn of Events

probonopublico

Jan 20, 2007, 4:55:06 AM1/20/07
to GA Alumni Association
I had an amazing experience this week.

I had asked two questions on Google Answers last Sept/Oct about a man I
believed to be an MI5 agent during the Thirties and Forties.

The Researcher (Answerfinder-ga) produced great answer including a name
but (understandably)not his date of death which I needed in order to
get a Death Certificate - which might have the effect of persuading the
Home Office to open his file under the FOI.

His daughter had seen my questions and contacted Google Answers who
refused to give her my details.

However, after Google Answers was 'retired' at the end of 2006, she
found 'the real me' through this site and she then contacted me earlier
this week via my own website.

Accordingly, I've now ordered a Death Certificate and she's also giving
me stacks of information about her Dad who's a really interesting guy.

More than I could ever have hoped for!

Now if only Pinkford (formerly Pinkfreud) would write a celebratory Po
my happiness would be complete.

Bryan

myoarin

Jan 20, 2007, 6:03:00 AM1/20/07
to GA Alumni Association
This ain't Pinkford standard, so it ain't really a po,
But it sometimes rhymes, though:

Probonopublico
Doesn't do it all for love;
Sometimes he works for dough.
Bryan, oft "Worried of Hove,
Has a penchant for MI5, 6, and so
He often writes books to prove
The Home Office doesn't really know
Diddley squat, by Jove.

Myo/Volvo

On Jan 20, 10:55 am, "probonopublico" <bryanclough...@googlemail.com>

probonopublico

Jan 20, 2007, 6:47:24 AM1/20/07
to GA Alumni Association
While hearty congrats on your magnificent versification (Is there no
end to your talent?) I must raise a note of Warning ...

As well as not been an expert on anything, I am certainly no expert on
Trademarks ...

But, if I were you, I would start 'ring fencing' my assets.

Of course, it wouldn't take me anywhere near as long as it's going to
take you ...

For example, I don't own a fleet of boats ...

Just a thought!

Now Very Worried of Hove

> > Bryan- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

pinkfreud

Jan 20, 2007, 3:35:17 PM1/20/07
to GA Alumni Association
Huggery muggery,
Probonopublico
Asked when an agent's demise had occurred.
Lo! The man's daughter
Has cleared up the mystery:
MI5's secrecy's shaken, not stirred.

~Pinky Galore

emily...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2007, 5:13:01 PM1/20/07
to GA Alumni Association
A fab British author named Bryan
After very much research and tryin'
Discovered a fact
>From a hidden contact
That enhanced his great knowledge on spyin'.

emily...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2007, 5:13:43 PM1/20/07
to GA Alumni Association

Probonopublico

Jan 21, 2007, 12:25:44 AM1/21/07
to GA Alumni Association
Fabulous!

FOUR Pos, all brilliant although two of them were written in the same
style and used the same words in the same order.

Sheer coincidence, I am sure.

I cannot believe that anyone would stoop to plagiarism.

Well, not unless some financial reward was involved to provide the
motivation.

I should like to congratulate and thank all four of you. You have made
my happiness complete.

Bryan

On Jan 20, 10:13 pm, "emily.mo...@gmail.com" <emily.mo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> A fab British author named Bryan
> After very much research and tryin'

> Discovered a fact>From a hidden contactThat enhanced his great knowledge on spyin'.

Probonopublico

Jan 21, 2007, 2:48:19 AM1/21/07
to GA Alumni Association
Pinky's new 'signature' reminds me that I saw Honor Blackman in a play
last November. She was almost 79 at the time and she still looked
stunning: as slim and elegant as always.

A remarkable lady. The play had aged more than the actors.

For the benefit of those who are baffled by my comment, Honor Blackman
played the part of Pussy Galore in the 1964 Bond film 'Goldfinger'.
Previously, she had been John Steed's sidekick in 'The Avengers', a
television series.

Bryan

thaumaturge

Jan 21, 2007, 11:47:02 AM1/21/07
to GA Alumni Association
Deep was the cover
and of course
dark was the night
(stormy too).
A shaft of light finds its target;
the dead are named
and dated --
no thanks to Gurgle.

On Jan 20, 9:55 am, "probonopublico" <bryanclough...@googlemail.com>

Probonopublico

Jan 22, 2007, 1:01:36 AM1/22/07
to GA Alumni Association
And yet another Po ... from a very talented fellow Brit.

Very many thanks Katharine.

Bryan

emily...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2007, 9:09:01 AM1/22/07
to GA Alumni Association
Diana Rigg has always been my favorite Avenger. Mrs. Peel was the best
women's role of my day, with Julie Newnar's Catwoman running a close
second.

On Jan 21, 2:48 am, "Probonopublico" <bryanclough...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Pinky's new 'signature' reminds me that I saw Honor Blackman in a play
> last November. She was almost 79 at the time and she still looked

> stunning: as slim and elegant as always....

> Previously, she had been John Steed's sidekick in 'The Avengers', a
> television series.
>
> Bryan
>
> On Jan 20, 8:35 pm, "pinkfreud" <researc...@intersite.com> wrote:
>

> > Huggery muggery,
> > Probonopublico
> > Asked when an agent's demise had occurred.
> > Lo! The man's daughter
> > Has cleared up the mystery:
> > MI5's secrecy's shaken, not stirred.
>

> > ~Pinky Galore- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Probonopublico

Jan 22, 2007, 10:24:49 AM1/22/07
to GA Alumni Association

Agreed, Emily, Diana Rigg was GORGEOUS!

Everything that you would expect from a Northern lass.

She was born in Doncaster, a place I know well.

A great pity that she 'disappeared':

*[on hitting middle age] "I am devastated at what has happened. I have
completely disappeared. I am totally invisible. I never really liked my
sexy label but on the other hand, to disappear so totally is quite
startling."

Bryan

On Jan 22, 2:09 pm, "emily.mo...@gmail.com" <emily.mo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > ~Pinky Galore- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Mark VMD

Jan 22, 2007, 3:41:56 PM1/22/07
to GA Alumni Association
And a haiku...

Google Answers died
So Bryan could obtain a
Death certificate.

Google Answers died
For a death certificate?
Now that's irony

If it had to be
Bryan's success is pleasing...
And poetry rocks!

I fail at haiku.
This line has six syllables.
Sorry, I'm incorrect.

myoarin

Jan 22, 2007, 4:28:21 PM1/22/07
to GA Alumni Association
"... syll'bles ..." perhaps.

barneca

Jan 22, 2007, 4:48:56 PM1/22/07
to GA Alumni Association
myo/larry/volvo:

i think the line "sorry, i'm incorrect" refers to the fact that the
second line actually has 7 syllables, which would be ok and mean that
he didn't fail at haiku after all. except now the last line has 6
syllables, which makes it not ok, and he did too fail at haiku after
all. so it's an almost-but-not-quite-haiku and a meta-joke, all rolled
into one.

we can wait to hear from markdvm to see if i am correct, and therefore,
to my own surprise, an expert poetry critic.

-cab

> > Sorry, I'm incorrect.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Mark VMD

Jan 23, 2007, 12:15:31 AM1/23/07
to GA Alumni Association
All hail the great poetry critic, Barneca/Cab!

--Dyspeptic Spitfire Mark (and I actually had a Spitfire that was
dyspeptic. It had a number of other problems, too.)

Mark VMD

Jan 23, 2007, 12:16:07 AM1/23/07
to GA Alumni Association
Almost forgot-- five stars to you!

Probonopublico

Jan 23, 2007, 12:29:11 AM1/23/07
to GA Alumni Association
Even more Pos ... And such quality!

I also received one directly from the talented Knowitall22:

QUOTE

Old Bryan was sure in a bind
But good news came from Answerfind
That M15 guy
Just happened to die
It's sealed, delivered and signed

UNQUOTE

My thanks to one and all.

I shall now them all printed on parchment and framed.

My Joy is Complete!

Bryan

myoarin

Jan 23, 2007, 10:17:09 AM1/23/07
to GA Alumni Association
Yup, Cab.

I can't count above five while typing.

Myo

On Jan 23, 6:29 am, "Probonopublico" <bryanclough...@googlemail.com>

Probonopublico

Feb 27, 2007, 2:45:12 PM2/27/07
to GA Alumni Association
And the latest new is that:

1: Our man's file has now been opened under the FOI;

2: I shall be visiting The National Archived on Saturday; and

3: His daughter is meeting me there!

All thanks to GA, the Magificent Answerfinder and, of course, this
site.

Bryan

> > > Almost forgot-- five stars to you!- Hide quoted text -

barneca

Mar 3, 2007, 4:26:07 PM3/3/07
to GA Alumni Association
today's the big day. how did it go?