Independence Day (4th July) in the USA: Isn't Enough Enough?

Probo

Jul 4, 2009, 4:30:23 AM7/4/09
to GA Alumni Association
Our American cousins have been celebrating their so-called
'Independence' since 1776 but why?

Had they but known, the probability is that they would now be part of
our glorious European Community.

Yes, it was a BIG MISTAKE!

So why don't they now admit it?

And get all the benefits of a National Health Service; marvellous
Pension Schemes (while they last); PAL instead of NTSC; a Royal
Family; Gordon Brown; International Soccer and Cricket; and so on ...

Believe me, it's not too late!

Do I hear, 'Yes, please'?

Probo

Chip Eastham

Jul 4, 2009, 8:19:51 AM7/4/09
to GA Alumni Association
Come, come! The progress of American freedom
and right thinking is inexorable. Resistance
is futile. Why ten years ago in what we then
knew as the "twentieth century", our mystically
adorned American dollar was trading at $0.98
to the "Euro". And now? Up around $1.40,
thank you very much.

The Brits are jealous of our English units of
measure, to boot, because English is our
national language, dontcha know...

independently, mathsquawk

Probo

Jul 4, 2009, 11:06:27 AM7/4/09
to GA Alumni Association
Hi Chip

I'm delighted that you can still be so cheerful in the face of
adversity.

But, whichever way you look at it ....

PAL is far superior to NTSC!

Right, Myoarin?

Probo
> independently, mathsquawk- Hide quoted text -

Chip Eastham

Jul 4, 2009, 11:33:26 AM7/4/09
to GA Alumni Association

On Jul 4, 11:06 am, Probo <bryanclough...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> But, whichever way you look at it ....
>
> PAL is far superior to NTSC!
>
> Right, Myoarin?

Heh, foreign PALs may _feel_ superior to
good ol' NTSC, but I gotta tell you,
Google Groups is supplying me right now
with Sponsored Links to convert those
foreign PALs! "Fast and Easy," which
I think involves circuit-boarding.

ignoblently, mathpreach

Probo

Jul 4, 2009, 12:55:19 PM7/4/09
to GA Alumni Association
Sorry, Chip old Chap

But the Big G is showing me a sponsored link for

Goolge Cash Exposed?
Must See Video Reveals Easy
To Copy Campaigns Using Goolge
www.tdfmarketingsuccess.com

Goolge indeed!

How cheeky is that?

And all I have to do is to:

QUOTE:

Copy the simple & exact campaigns that make $94,133 every 30 days.
Copy how we set these up in only 7-10 minutes and leave them to run
autopilot!"

UNQUOTE

Now they are talking serious money and just think how many Euros that
means!

Wait till Myoarin latches on to this, he'll soon be richer than
Croesus.

Prob Ablynot

myoarin

Jul 5, 2009, 1:48:30 AM7/5/09
to GA Alumni Association
Yeah, why didn't I click on here yesterday?

Well, I did, after the time Probo usually has. He must have slept in
yesterday, trying to avoid recognition that it was Independence Day,
for the obvious reason that for Brits it is still an affront to their
expansionist colonial egos - right up there with Afghanistan, that
ran them out twice.

And, indeed, PAL is better that NTSC (Wikipedia: bacronym "Never
Twice the Same Color"), but after that, everything else mentioned that
can be enjoyed on TV, except NHS and the likes. Could have mention
European trains, however, though there is something nice and nostalgic
about the ones in the US.

And, the US has the best women tennis players. (Okay, you can argue
of one family justifies that generalization [and it has the better
spelling]).

Oh, at least one place in the States doesn't celebrates Independence
Day on the fourth:
http://bluehampshire.com/diary/7699/fourth-of-july-open-thread

Cheers, Myo

Probo

Jul 5, 2009, 3:22:40 AM7/5/09
to GA Alumni Association
No, Myo, I didn't sleep in yesterday but I was struggling with the
Guardian Prize Crossword which had 'Independence Day' as its theme.

This made me MAD and I relieved my exasperation by regretting that the
event had ever happened.

However, I eventually did finish the Crossword but I now wonder why,
if the US is so good, some of its supporters choose to live in
Europe?

Me think that White Man talk with Forked Tongue.

Prob Ablytrue
> > > ignoblently, mathpreach- Hide quoted text -

myoarin

Jul 5, 2009, 8:00:24 AM7/5/09
to GA Alumni Association
!"I now wonder why,
if the US is so good, some of its supporters choose to live in
Europe? "

In order of importance: better beer, faster women (back decades ago),
and also back then, 20% salary supplement for the rigors of living
overseas (no orange juice, Kellogg's products, etc., for all of
which, German beer is a more than adequate substitute - not for
breakfast).

Well, the beer ist still better, the other factors no longer apply.

I hope you have recovered from your madness. I understood that in
English (yours) that meant one was a little "bonkers".

Give us an easy clue from the crossword.

Prost, Myo

Probo

Jul 5, 2009, 9:10:06 AM7/5/09
to GA Alumni Association
OK, here's an easy clue from yesterday:

Church is in a state about the result of Industrial Revolution (7)

And here's a difficult clue:

Epistle torn open in a state (6,3,6)

Yesterday's Crossword was described as 'A Fourth of July offering'.

And, for good measure, here's a clue from the previous week's Prize
Puzzle:

"Ascertain boffins' choice of poison - and I shall follow
suit" (Frenchy) (3,4,3,4,2,3,4,4,4,4)

Good Luck!

Bryan

Roger Browne

Jul 5, 2009, 12:47:50 PM7/5/09
to GA Alumni Association
I was in London yesterday and was amazed by how many people were
celebrating 4th July. Don't they realize that "we" were on the losing
side of that one?

Regards,
Roger

PS: I don't recommend boasting too loudly about PAL, considering that
it is being switched off. PAL broadcasting ends in November 2009 in
the North West of England, and has already ceased in parts of Wales.
It will soon all be DVB-T ("Freeview") which of course is better than
both PAL and NeverTwiceSameColor.

myoarin

Jul 5, 2009, 4:14:34 PM7/5/09
to GA Alumni Association
"I was in London yesterday and was amazed by how many people were
celebrating 4th July."

See! That's what happens from all the EU hoopla. People lose their
national identity and character and will just whoop it up with anyone
and even at the enemy's victory celebration, liking to feel like they
be on the winning side. Why root for xxx when you can cheer ManU to
victory?

(I know, "our" victory came after the Declaration of Independence,
and had to go into a second round several years later. Was it here
that someone pointed out different nations' names for the wars 1812 to
1815? Might be topic for Quezi .)

Probo

Jul 6, 2009, 1:30:13 AM7/6/09
to GA Alumni Association
London, Roger, has been almost completely taken over by furriners.

I go there often and I'm always pleasantly surprised when, very
occasionally, I meet a fellow Brit.

Indeed, my first question now to anyone is 'Do you speak English?'

Of course, many of these folk come from places where Independence is
only a dream.

And where else in the world could you find a newspaper called 'The
Independent'?

But one thing's for sure is that we're going to murder those Aussies
in the Ashes.

Indeed, I suspect that the humiliation will be so complete that
they'll never dare return.

Yes Ponting will be found Wanting.

He will have no answer to Strauss, Pietersen, Bopara, Prior, Shah,
Rashid, Mahmood, Khan and all the other English players that we can
turn out.

Pro bRit

On Jul 5, 9:14 pm, myoarin <lawre...@fogelberg.de> wrote:
> "I was in London yesterday and was amazed by how many people were
> celebrating 4th July."
>
> See!  That's what happens from all the EU hoopla.  People lose their
> national identity and character and will just whoop it up with anyone
> and even at the enemy's victory celebration, liking to feel like they
> be on the winning side.  Why root for xxx when you can cheer ManU to
> victory?
>
> (I  know, "our" victory came after the Declaration of Independence,
> and had to go into a second round several years later.  Was it here
> that someone pointed out different nations' names for the wars 1812 to
> 1815?  Might be topic for Quezi .)
>
> On 5 Jul., 18:47, Roger Browne <roger.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I was in London yesterday and was amazed by how many people were
> > celebrating 4th July. Don't they realize that "we" were on the losing
> > side of that one?
>
> > Regards,
> > Roger
>
> > PS: I don't recommend boasting too loudly about PAL, considering that
> > it is being switched off. PAL broadcasting ends in November 2009 in
> > the North West of England, and has already ceased in parts of Wales.
> > It will soon all be DVB-T ("Freeview") which of course is better than
> > both PAL and NeverTwiceSameColor.- Hide quoted text -

myoarin

Jul 6, 2009, 5:28:13 AM7/6/09
to GA Alumni Association
I've still got to puzzle on the clues. Others welcome to try.

"And where else in the world could you find a newspaper called 'The
Independent'? "

Here, for example:
http://www.thezimbabweindependent.com/

and lots of other places, admittedly, often with a place name
insterted.

Strauss, Pietersen, Bopara, Shah, Rashid, Mahmood, Khan play cricket
for England?

Well, of course, England has a better chance if people with those
names play for the side. Is there a rule about not speaking Urdu on
the pitch?

Roger Browne

Jul 6, 2009, 6:46:45 AM7/6/09
to GA Alumni Association
> "And where else in the world could you find a newspaper called 'The
> Independent'? "
>
> Here, for example:http://www.thezimbabweindependent.com/

Touche!

myoarin

Jul 6, 2009, 12:29:53 PM7/6/09
to GA Alumni Association
"Church is in a state about the result of Industrial Revolution (7) "

Machine, easy , after I stop trying to put RC in the state.

Probo

Jul 6, 2009, 2:16:12 PM7/6/09
to GA Alumni Association
You've got the same answer as me, Myo, but whether or not it's correct
we won't know until the end of the week.

FYI, in English Crosswords, 'church' is usually 'ch'.

We are a Protestant country, you see.

Something to do with Henry VIII I recall.

Now for the harder ones!

Bryo
> > Touche!- Hide quoted text -

myoarin

Jul 6, 2009, 4:53:55 PM7/6/09
to GA Alumni Association
Any letters in the words, the Epistle clue?

Looks sticky if the state has to provide the first and last few
letters in original order.

Myo

Probo

Jul 7, 2009, 1:37:21 AM7/7/09
to GA Alumni Association
YES!

Thanks to your previous answer, the middle letter of the middle word
is 'E'.

See for yourself:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crossword/java/new/0,,-24651,00.html

Bryan

Probo

Jul 7, 2009, 1:44:25 AM7/7/09
to GA Alumni Association
And, as you will see, the setter goes under the name of 'Boatman' so,
just maybe, he also likes 'messing about in the river'.

As I said earlier, I found this really tough and 8d was the toughest
of the lot.

Go for it!

Bryan