Union Jack

myoarin

Sep 14, 2009, 7:17:18 AM9/14/09
to GA Alumni Association
Just to see if this livens things up here a bit:

Saturday night, we watched Last Night at the Proms, as always,
commentated - also as always - by Rolf Seelmann-Eggebert, CBE,
Germany's TV expert for England and interviews with European royalty.

And, as always, many of the Union Jacks waved were upside down,
including the one unfurled by Sarah Connolly, when she raised her
"sword" (she was costumed as Lord Nelson to sing "Rule Britannia").

How many of you know when the Union Jack is right side up (without
clicking on images)?

Cheers, Myo

Roger Browne

Sep 14, 2009, 9:32:45 AM9/14/09
to GA Alumni Association
I look to see whether the white or red diagonals are leading, if you
imagine that they are rotating clockwise. A leading colour of white is
right, red is dead.

Here's a visual "gallery of shame":
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/geography/flag/index.html

But I don't worry about it. No-one's going to think that I'm a "vessel
in distress" if I have it the wrong way.

Regards,
Roger

myoarin

Sep 14, 2009, 12:37:13 PM9/14/09
to GA Alumni Association
Thanks, Roger. I guess I should have specified that response be in
the form: "I do!" asking to delay posting examples.

You have found a site with juicy examples - don't want to mention
names (lese majeste). I guess one can't really blame the poor people
doing piece work in Asia for not knowing up from down.

Cheers, Myo

answerfinder

Sep 15, 2009, 3:59:02 AM9/15/09
to GA Alumni Association
In the Scouts I was taught to make sure the white part was to be
widest at the top left of the flag.
I remember answering a question on GA about the US flag on uniforms
being the wrong way round.
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/463069.html

myoarin

Sep 15, 2009, 6:31:49 AM9/15/09
to GA Alumni Association
Quite so, Phil. I remember that question.

At least there are still a couple of people checking out GAAA
occasionally.

On Sep 15, 9:59 am, answerfinder <goo...@answer-finder.co.uk> wrote:
> In the Scouts I was taught to make sure the white part was to be
> widest at the top left of the flag.
> I remember answering a question on GA about the US flag on uniforms
> being the wrong way round.http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/463069.html

Chip Eastham

Sep 16, 2009, 9:48:08 AM9/16/09
to GA Alumni Association

On Sep 15, 6:31 am, myoarin <lawre...@fogelberg.de> wrote:
> Quite so, Phil.  I remember that question.
>
> At least there are still a couple of people checking out GAAA
> occasionally.

Even a few who will confess not to know which way
is up for the Union Jack!

colonially, mt

myoarin

Sep 16, 2009, 11:51:36 AM9/16/09
to GA Alumni Association
Hi Chip,

When no one near Camilla knows, notices or cares ...?

Obviously a sign of the decline of the British Empire ("Sail on
Britannia" in distress.). But Last Night at the Proms is still a lot
of fun, even if it may be the last vestige of the empire the sun never
set on.

Cheers, Myo

answerfinder

Sep 16, 2009, 2:20:57 PM9/16/09
to GA Alumni Association

>last vestige of the empire the sun never set on.

In 1999 the office building I worked in was to be sold off. Our office
had been in use as a library and information centre for at least 40
years. One part of the wall was used for maps. We took the maps down
to roll them up and discovered at the very bottom under some wallpaper
an old map of the world at least 60 years old. A large part of it was
coloured pink: the Empire. Ah, those were days, sending in a gun-boat,
subduing the natives, and then pinching their resources.