Proper verbs to use with "Medal" and "Order"? (probably for Scriptor)

myoarin

Jul 7, 2009, 4:55:40 AM7/7/09
to GA Alumni Association
Chancellor Merkel awarded Germany's new military medal of valour
yesterday for the first time.

The papers write that the medals were "verliehen," (perfect tense)
which in other contexts means "lent".

I believe this is technically incorrect usage with regard to this type
of award/decoration,
that "verleihen" (present tense, infinitive) is only correct (ultra
correct) when someone is made a member of an order (nobel or merit),
maybe with a non-hereditary title, the tradition in many such orders
being that the physical emblem of the order must be returned at death.

In German word for a feif is "Lehen", which has the same root and
referred to a property assigned for life, as was originally the case
with feifs (later they became hereditary but could not be sold).

Can anyone tell me if I'm correct about the misusage?
Is there and English equivalent? (I supposed it is: QEII "knighted"
or "made .xxx a Knight Commander",
but I may be benighted.)

Thanks, Myo

fp

Jul 7, 2009, 5:08:13 AM7/7/09
to GA Alumni Association
What about "ihm / ihr wurde der Doktortitel verliehen"?

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Best wishes
Freddy

myoarin

Jul 7, 2009, 5:37:05 AM7/7/09
to GA Alumni Association
Hi Freddy,

Good to see you here again. No, you just added depth to the question.

It seems in that context that "verliehen" is used to differentiate an
honorary doctorate from one resulting from "Promovation".
http://www.gdigest.com/product_info.php?products_id=163

You knew that, I had to check.. And, as it is a title that is being
given, there is a parallel to the conferfing of a knighthood.

That usage could help account for what I consider to be sloppy usage,
liked because "verleihen" sounds fancier than "auszeichnen."

Perhaps you have an opinion about the usage relative to the Medal of
Valour. Don't be so polite as not to tell me I am wrong.

Thanks, and best regards, Myo

Probo

Jul 7, 2009, 6:49:59 AM7/7/09
to GA Alumni Association
Great to see you again, Freddy!

I recall that when Diana Rigg got her Dame thing in 1994, a gang of
American sailors danced around the Throne Room in Buckingham Palace
singing:

'There's nothing like a Dame'.

I hope that this helps.

Prob Ablynot

On Jul 7, 10:37 am, myoarin <lawre...@fogelberg.de> wrote:
> Hi Freddy,
>
> Good to see you here again.  No, you just added depth to the question.
>
> It seems in that context that "verliehen" is used to differentiate an
> honorary doctorate from one resulting from "Promovation".http://www.gdigest.com/product_info.php?products_id=163
> > > Thanks,  Myo- Hide quoted text -

David

Jul 7, 2009, 8:17:50 AM7/7/09
to GA Alumni Association
Those sailors should have been singing 'There ain't nothin' like a
dame'.

Perhaps they prettied it up for the Queen, though.

dj

Probo

Jul 7, 2009, 8:43:28 AM7/7/09
to GA Alumni Association
According to IMDB, the song is listed as:

There's Nothing Like a Dame .......................................
Luther Billis, Sailors, Seabees and Marines

But, arguably, the 'g' in 'Nothing' is superfluous.

Now all join in:

Sailors, Seabees and Marines:
We got sunlight on the sand,
We got moonlight on the sea,
We got mangoes and bananas
You can pick right off the tree,
We got volleyball and ping-pong
And a lot of dandy games!
What ain't we got?
We ain't got dames!

We get packages from home,
We get movies, we get shows,
We get speeches from our skipper
And advice from Tokyo Rose,
We get letters doused with perfume
We get dizzy from the smell!
What don't we get?
You know darn well!

We have nothin' to put on a clean white suit for
What we need is what there ain't no substitute for...

There is nothin' like a dame,
Nothin' in the world,
There is nothin' you can name
That is anythin' like a dame!

We feel restless, we feel blue,
We feel lonely and in grief,
We feel ev'ry kind of feelin',
But the feelin' of relief
We feel hungry as the wolf felt
When he met Red Hiding-hood
What don't we feel?
We don't feel good!

Lots of things in life are beautiful, but brother,
There is one particular thing that is nothin' whatsoever
In any way, shape or form like any other.

There is nothin' like a dame,
Nothin' in the world,
There is nothin' you can name
That is anythin' like a dame!

Nothin' else was built the same,
Nothin' in the world
As the soft and wavy frame
Like the silhouette of a dame!

There is absolutely nothin' like a frame of a dame.

So suppose that dame and bride
Are completely free from flaws,
Or as faithful as a bird dog,
Or as kind as Santa Claus,
It's a waste of time to worry
Over things that they have not,
We're thankful for the things they got!

There is nothin' you can name
That is anythin' like a dame!

There are no books like a dame,
And nothin' looks like a dame.
There are no drinks like a dame,
And nothin' thinks like a dame,
Nothin' acts like a dame,
Or attracts like a dame.
There ain't a thing that's wrong with any man here
That can't be cured by pullin' him near
A girly, womanly, female, feminine dame!

My case rests!

Prob Ablyright

myoarin

Jul 7, 2009, 9:01:56 AM7/7/09
to GA Alumni Association
"South Pacific", of course. I wonder what the lads in Iraq and
Afghanistan would be singing.

Maybe it's time for Lloyd Webber (sorry, Lord Lloyd Webber) to write
the 21st century war musical.

(I know, Probo Allwrong doesn't like L.W.)

David

Jul 7, 2009, 9:47:14 AM7/7/09
to GA Alumni Association
Sheesh. I can't believe Rodgers & Hammerstein got so mixed up!

Thanks for straightening things out, probo. There ain't nothin' like
being right!

dj

myoarin

Jul 7, 2009, 11:01:44 AM7/7/09