What happened in the 2nd Test (England v Australia)?

1 view

Probo

Jul 21, 2009, 12:14:43 AM7/21/09
to GA Alumni Association
I guess that it should have finished by now but I have been so busy
asking and commenting on a Uclue Question that I haven't had time to
find out.

I am particularly interested to know if either of the Lancashire
players made their usual valuable contributions.

Many thanks!

Probo

(Born & Bred in Lancashire)

myoarin

Jul 21, 2009, 4:58:09 AM7/21/09
to GA Alumni Association
Here you go, Probo,

Flintoff - got 5 wickets yesterday to lead England to its first win
over Australia in (I won't say how many ) years at Lord's - well, I
hope they won a few matches somewhere else in England in the last
several decades.

http://www.cricfever.com/

I'm sure someone else (probably not Roger) will be happy to mention
any other Lancashiremen on the team.

Myo

Probo

Jul 21, 2009, 5:12:58 AM7/21/09
to GA Alumni Association
Wow, many thanks, Myo

Now that we both know the result, I'm betting that Roger will now move
quickly to have your message marked 'Flagged for Review'.

You know what he's like when anything interesting pops up.

Bryo
> > (Born & Bred in Lancashire)- Hide quoted text -

myoarin

Jul 21, 2009, 6:11:28 AM7/21/09
to GA Alumni Association
"Flagged for Review":

Yes, he seems very touchy about some things. The price of toilet
flush Q has now moved on to "Private".

Ah?? Maybe the questioner had some scatological remarks about the
answer - perhaps not entirely off thread for the question but
inappropriate to be seen on the site.

(This is how rumours start: people trying to explain what they don't
know, and everyone from here to Toronto and Austin - even Manila -
accepting it as the believable explanation.)

David

Jul 21, 2009, 3:27:28 PM7/21/09
to GA Alumni Association
The toilet question must remain secret, for reasons that must remain
secret.

But for those who missed the briefly public answer, it costs 13 cents
to flush your toilet.

Probo

Jul 22, 2009, 1:28:36 AM7/22/09
to GA Alumni Association
Hi Myo

Please note David's advice:

'The toilet question must remain secret, for reasons that must remain
secret.'

Obviously, he has forgotten all about your 'Friends in Arlington' AND
your 'Special Software'.

I think it best that we adopt the maxim 'Ignorance is Bliss'.

So, please, exercise your usual discretion with opportunities such as
this, however tempting.

Many thanks!

Probo

PS My friends in Cheltenham have advised me that Version SS-9ix is due
for release next month.

myoarin

Jul 22, 2009, 6:41:14 AM7/22/09
to GA Alumni Association
Of course, it's none of our business, but it occurred to me that some
incurable users might be willing to pay an annual membership fee that
would give them access to follow private questions - higher fee to be
allowed to comment. To assure their respecting the "privacy", they
would have to provide an interest free deposit in an amount painful to
lose. But now I see the problem: how to identify who leaked
information?

One does have to wonder why "a simple maths question" needs to be
private. Maybe sonny shouldn't know where dad gets answers for his
homework.

Ignorance may be bliss, but curiosity killed the cat.

Cheers, Myo

Roger Browne

Jul 22, 2009, 11:24:42 AM7/22/09
to GA Alumni Association
I don't much like private questions either, because they reduce the
livelihood and interest of the site.

But there's very strong customer demand for private questions, and I'm
not sure how to improve the user experience for people other than the
customer. It's not practical to hide the existence of private
questions from the public interface, because that would also make them
invisible to the customer when not logged in, which would increase
confusion and add to the support overheads.

Bryan, you're an occasional user of private questions so you can see
this from both sides - what are your thoughts?

Regards,
Roger

myoarin

Jul 22, 2009, 11:48:56 AM7/22/09
to GA Alumni Association
Hi Roger,

I should have added a line that my proposal wasn't seriously meant,
especially after I recognized that there was no way to nail someone
misusing the confidentiality.

Uclue is a service for the paying questioners, only very secondarily
entertainment for peanuts.

Regards, Myo

Roger Browne

Jul 22, 2009, 5:42:43 PM7/22/09
to GA Alumni Association
I couldn't stand the thought of people not knowing how much it costs
to flush their toilet, so I did the calculations for Lancashire where
it seems it's a bit cheaper than in the US:

How much does it cost to flush the toilet?
http://quezi.com/9629

We have very large old cisterns in our house and our cost is 3.5 pence
per flush (about 5 cents US).

David

Jul 22, 2009, 6:12:32 PM7/22/09
to GA Alumni Association
That's a fun read. Do the charges for sewage treatment fully fund the
sewage plant? In the US, they generally do not, so that additional
government funding is needed to subsidize the cost.

On Jul 22, 5:42 pm, Roger Browne <roger.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I couldn't stand the thought of people not knowing how much it costs
> to flush their toilet, so I did the calculations for Lancashire where
> it seems it's a bit cheaper than in the US:
>
> How much does it cost to flush the toilet?http://quezi.com/9629

David

Jul 22, 2009, 6:14:06 PM7/22/09
to GA Alumni Association
P.S. How far afield we've come from the original post!
> > per flush (about 5 cents US).- Hide quoted text -

Probo

Jul 23, 2009, 1:53:42 AM7/23/09
to GA Alumni Association
Hi Roger

I really appreciate the facility to ask Private Questions when I am
working on something that I don't want the rest of the world to know
about.

On the other hand, I also really appreciate the Public Questions where
knowledgeable Commenters (like Myoarin and fp) make valuable
contributions.

Also, two people have been able to track me down as a response to my
Public Questions and provide me with fascinating information.

Personally, I couldn't care less about other people's desire for
privacy although, as it happens, I do know a lot about about the Water
Supply industry, after working for a major water treatment company for
5 years.

All I can say is 'Keep up the good work!'

That also applies to the England cricketers in their exciting disposal
of ....

Oops, now I've completely forgotten who they were playing.

Please remind me!

Bryan

Roger Browne

Jul 23, 2009, 3:57:14 AM7/23/09
to GA Alumni Association
Thanks Bryan for your comments about private questions.

> Oops, now I've completely forgotten who they were playing.
> Please remind me!

Sure! The England cricketers are playing against a team from Australia
which is selected from a population less than half that of England,
but which nevertheless manages to win more than half of the time.

Regards,
Roger

Roger Browne

Jul 23, 2009, 3:57:52 AM7/23/09
to GA Alumni Association
> Do the charges for sewage treatment fully fund the
> sewage plant?

I think the charges do cover the total cost, but if you want a
definitive answer you'll need to post a question at Uclue.

US treatment may be more advanced than ours, which could explain the
difference in cost. I can't swim in my local river, for example, on
account of the rudimentary sewage treatment.

Regards
Roger

myoarin

Jul 23, 2009, 5:22:58 AM7/23/09
to GA Alumni Association
Now if someone could only quantify the value of being able to swim in
the river, maybe calculating the resulting loss of revenue at the
municipal pool ....

Trying to get back on thread, I discovered that women have been
playing cricket for centuries (years):
http://www.cricket-for-parents.com/womens-cricket.html

Someone may dispute the claim that a woman developed over-arm
bowling. Please do. I am suspicious about the mention of her large
hoop-skirt in the early 1800s, since I don't believe that was the
fashion yet. And how did one bowl before that?

First Aussie women's cricket: 1874:
http://www.southernstars.org.au/wca.htm

Did the women have the "Gentlemen" "Players" destinction? "Ladies"
vs ...? Playmates?

Anyway, cheers, Myo