2 Concerns

Deb Kay

May 8, 2017, 11:02:34 AM5/8/17
to Friends of Thamkrabok Monastery

   Not sure if this group is still active but hopefully someone can reply to these 2 concerns.

   I've been considering contacting Wat Thamkrabok as I've been on prescribed opiates/opioids since the 2nd grade & am now aged 51. Made many attempts to stop but the sickness & seemingly endless exhaustion/depression always draws me back into taking the drugs(much lower doses now) so I am able to function both mentally & physically. While US rehabs may be 3% effective for some substances, it's no help at all for long term, prescribed, opiate dependence. The detox drugs don't help/ add more distressing issues. The endless AA/NA meetings with requirement of 'admitting we are powerless over our own urges' feels wrong & leaves me feeling hollow.

  Began studying the dharma about 11 years ago & it's given insight & comfort as nothing else has. I feel drawn to Wat Thramkrabok and would welcome the treatment most gratefully. My only 2 concerns may seem odd to some. I have all of my  childhood vaccinations and became very ill after receiving the Hep B vaccine at about age 35. Are mandatory vaccines a requirement to leave the US & enter Thailand or vise-versa? I see the US 'recommends' many vaccines while Ireland says their citizens need no vaccines to travel to Thailand.

  My 2nd weird concern: Bats. It disturbs me to even type that word. I try to watch docs on Thailand and they show the giant ones (flying foxes)and tell us they're greatly protected by Buddhism. Then watched the vimeo doc about the wat and a brother was filmed talking in the caves. The entire time, you can hear screeching above him and it was the daytime. It is a great phobia and if bats(of any size) are regularly seen especially indoors or around buildings/people, I must avoid.

 Thanks for reading. Thoughts & prayers for all who're suffering.

silvio beltrachini

May 8, 2017, 7:40:54 PM5/8/17
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
Don't need any vaccine at all tmbk,and i don't see any bats , i suggest  you to contact direct the monks and ask any question and to pick-up you in bangkok airport too. Thank you Thamkrabok!

The OFFICIAL Thamkrabok Monastery website is http://www.wat-thamkrabok.org
INDEPENDENT information can be found at http://www.thamkrabok.net
BUDDHIST RECOVERY information can be found at http://www.5th-precept.org
HUNGRY GHOST RETREAT information can be found at http://www.HungryGhostRetreats.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Friends of Thamkrabok Monastery" group.

Kalou Koefoed

May 8, 2017, 10:37:24 PM5/8/17
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Deb,

It sounds like you are ready to go to Thamkrabok. I urge you to go, it will help you be free of the drugs and the endless system holding you captive.

Re bats, there are some little ones but they live in the cave and all you have to do is not go into the cave (the cave is far enough away from the Hay where you will be staying for it to be an issue). I did see one flying fox while I was there but it looks more like a white squirrel, so hopefully you can think about them like that, or forget about them, and focus on the task at hand.

Thamkrabok is a special place.

All the best.

kalou