smoking addiction

david davidson

Mar 13, 2015, 1:28:37 PM3/13/15
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
Hi , I have been smoking weed for over 20 years on a dialy base and would like to stop ,I have been trying for many years but never succeed.
would this be a good place for me to go to ?

many thanks

james butler

Mar 14, 2015, 9:14:18 AM3/14/15
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com

Breaking Habits

Let us find out how to understand this whole process of habit forming and habit breaking. We can take the example of smoking, and you can substitute your own habit, your own particular problem, and experiment with your own problem directly as I am experimenting with the problem of smoking. It is a problem, it becomes a problem, when I want to give it up; as long as I am satisfied with it, it is not a problem. The problem arises when I have to do something about a particular habit, when the habit becomes a disturbance. Smoking has created a disturbance, so I want to be free of it. I want to stop smoking; I want to be rid of it, to put it aside, so my approach to smoking is one of resistance or condemnation. That is, I don't want to smoke, so my approach is either to suppress it, condemn it, or to find a substitute for it -instead of smoking, to chew. Now, can I look at the problem free of condemnation, justification, or suppression? Can I look at my smoking without any sense of rejection? Try to experiment with it now as I am talking, and you will see how extraordinarily difficult it is not to reject or accept. Because, our whole tradition, our whole background, is urging us to reject or to justify rather than to be curious about it. Instead of being passively watchful, the mind always operates on the problem
The OFFICIAL Thamkrabok Monastery website is http://www.wat-thamkrabok.org
INDEPENDENT information can be found at http://www.thamkrabok.net
BUDDHIST RECOVERY information can be found at http://www.5th-precept.org
HUNGRY GHOST RETREAT information can be found at http://www.HungryGhostRetreats.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Friends of Thamkrabok Monastery" group.