Sajja : A Practice of Transformation

Vince

May 9, 2019, 7:19:41 AM5/9/19
to Friends of Thamkrabok Monastery

The free - but 'hardcore' - alcohol and/or drug detox at Wat Thamkrabok monastery in Thailand start with a compulsory 'Sajja' - a vow never to use intoxicants ever again.

No Sajja - No detox!

WWI-Sajja-Capture.JPG

I gave an online talk recently for Worldwide Insight called 'Sajja: A Practice for Everyone' and recounted my meeting with the first Abbot of Wat Thamkrabok in November 1998... "But then, Luangpor Chamroon dropped a bombshell that I really wasn’t expecting; he said that these herbal treatments were undoubtedly a very real and a very rapid detox, but by his estimation, the herbal treatment at Wat Thamkrabok was only 5% of what they were offering to people suffering from addictions. He said that the other 95% was a vow or ‘Sajja’ intention, that addicts were obliged to take before being admitted for treatment." The full talk - including a 30-minute guided meditation - is available on the Worldwide Insight website and some background notes are available here: http://hungryghostretreats.org/hgr-news/sajja-a-practice-for-transformation/

And, some resources from my talk can be found at www.HungryGhostRetreats.org/wwi

I hope that you find it informative and helpful.

Much Metta & Mudita to All,

WWI-Sajja-Capture-2.JPG

Vince Cullen
hashtag