A Message to Activists and Organizers Re: Facebook‏ - Important! --- Please Share this Message on Facebook!

John

Aug 16, 2013, 9:35:48 PM8/16/13
8:27 PM
Picture of John Hummel
Dear Friends,

As some of you know, I started using Facebook a couple of weeks ago. Now, Facebook has blocked me from my account.

They asked me to do a security check to show them that I am a real person and to send them Photo ID proving that I am who I say I am!
Well, I sent them a picture of my photo ID as they asked.

Also, I passed their security check where you have to identify 5 randomly chosen faces from the photo albums of  your Friends on Facebook.

Now, the problem is that I gave them my regular land line phone number instead of a Cell Phone number. I don't use a Cell Phone (too expensive for me). So, I don't have a Cell Phone number so, I can't access my Facebook account!!!

Maybe Facebook wants everyone to have a Cell Phone so they can track them by GPS (which is in many Cell Phones) ---- Who knows!

Why am I telling you guys all this? Because this could happen to you at any moment too when you are trying to organize any kind of Peaceful Action at all!

I'm probably just being paranoid but all this happened immediately after I posted several notices of upcoming actions and events on Facebook: the Youth Gathering at Grassy Narrows First Nation, the Grassy Narrows protest at the Premier of Ontario's house in Toronto and the 1000 Drums protest against the Enbridge Pipeline in Burns Lake, B.C.

Luckily, I have several thousand email contacts who might be interested and will get the word out that way. Facebook is great but, I'm finding it an unreliable way to get the word out on important things. Because you can be shut down at any moment! Only thing that makes me kind of sad is that I had just re-connected with dear Friends I hadn't heard from in 30 years and then Facebook shut me down so I couldn't communicate with them anymore. And I don’t have their regular Email addresses. We just talked on this Facebook.

Just a word of caution Re: Facebook!

For Land and Life,
John Hummel,
Nelson, B.C.

P.S. I’ve got my fingers crossed that I can get back on Facebook but, I’m not counting on it. Neither should you! Don’t totally abandon ‘Old School’ types of communication e.g. Email or a phone call (as many Youths have now done)  O.K.?
Think about it for a moment, If what happened to me with Facebook happened to all of you tomorrow, it would be pretty hard to organize events if you didn’t have any ‘Plan B’ Re: your communications strategy. Just a thought eh?!

NO LOGGING, NO MERCURY: Demonstration in Support of Grassy Narrows First Nation - August 25, Toronto – Ontario‏

Here's a Reminder of an Upcoming Event! Please share far and wide!

Check Here for Details: http://freegrassy.net/