Pollution at Sagkeeng and Other First Nations‏

John

Aug 4, 2013, 5:06:54 PM8/4/13
Dear Friends,

I wrote this email below in September 2010. The videos and information below still have relevance for the health of Indigenous people in 2013. This serious pollution situation has not gone away. In some cases, the problem is getting worse. Please share the email below far and wide!

For land and Life,
John H.W. Hummel

john hummel
9/24/10
Dear Friends,

'John Hummel Investigates!'

After watching the season Premier of 'APTN Investigates' (a National Television Program produced by the 'Aboriginal People's Television Network' here in Canada) called 'Toxic Overflow':

Links to Videos:

and after hearing about the toxic mess my friend Kimlee and her people are dealing with at her Sagkeeng First Nation in Manitoba, Canada, I thought --- this is just 'the tip of the iceberg' as far as contaminated sites at First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities goes here in Canada! So, I decided to take a closer look at the biggest part of that 'iceberg'. The part that is hidden from view! The situation that Kimlee's people are going through with the toxic site in her community is appalling but sadly, it is not unique to Indigenous communities in the Americas. I would even say, it is a situation which is quite common. Something must be done now to clean up this toxic mess. Otherwise, it is inevitable that people will get sick from it. I believe that many people are sick right now from exposure to these bio-accumulating toxins!

Here is what I have discovered:

1) There are at least 19 other First Nations' reserves in Canada which contain contaminated sites with dioxins/furans and pcb's in them.

To see the full site reports and maps, click on the blue numbers beside any site with the designation IIA in the same line (that is the designation for 'Indian' Reserves. Remember, these are just the very few that the Government has actually investigated at all. There may be many more! Dioxin's and PCB's ( along with pesticides, the heavy metals Arsenic, Cadmium and Mercury, as well as Nitrites) have all been linked to Type II Diabetes in recently published and peer-reviewed studies.

2) To find out what specific toxic  crap may be in those contaminated sites on Reserves Coast-to-Coast which Indigenous communities may be exposed to, click on the name of the type of toxin and look at the site reports and Maps if there is 'IIA' in the same line.

Link:

For Land and Life,
John H.W. Hummel,
Pollution/Health Researcher
Nelson, B.C.
Canada

P.S.Here's a bit more on what pollution has done to some Dear friends of Mine!

As you know, I've been trying my best for the last 30 years, to get some justice for my dear friends at Grassy Narrows and Wabaseemoong First Nations in Ontario. If you go to this Website and click on the link: 'Marred by Mercury', you will see a very recent CBC 'The National' documentary I had a hand in getting going.

Link:

Please watch it and share it widely. This is what pollution can do to the people!

Also, I've posted most of my pollution/health research for the past four years  (including full-text pollution health studies) at this website that you may find of interest: http://groups.google.com/group/friends-of-agg/topics?start