Scheurer Supports HR 5353 "The War Is Making You Poor Act"

Rising Tide Campaign

May 23, 2010, 9:48:31 AM5/23/10
to Campaign Committee, FreeTheDemocrats. com, FreeTheStudents, FreeThePeople

green.jpgRising Tide Campaign

Bill Scheurer for Congress

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                            Contact:  Bill Scheurer, Candidate

                                                                                                  Scheur...@comcast.net

                                                                                                  847-245-1421 (h) | 847-370-3411 (m)

Scheurer Supports HR 5353 “The War Is Making You Poor Act”

Challenges Incumbent Democrat Bean & Republican Candidate Walsh to join him

May 24, 2010 (IL 8TH Congressional District)—Independent Green Party Candidate for U.S. Congress Bill Scheurer today announced his support for HR 5353, “The War Is Making You Poor Act,” and challenged Democratic incumbent Melissa Bean and Republican candidate Joe Walsh to do the same.

Introduced by Rep. Alan Grayson (D, FL-8) with bipartisan support from Reps. Ron Paul (R, TX-14) and Walter Jones (R, NC-3), HR 5353 requires the Administration to limit funding for the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to the enormous $549 Billion already in our military budget, without an additional $159 Billion it has requested in yet another “emergency supplemental” funding for these 9-year-old wars.

Simply by eliminating the separate funding for the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, the bill would eliminate federal income taxes for every taxpayer’s first $35,000 of income ($70,000 for couples), while also reducing the federal debt by $16 Billion.

“I can’t see how anyone – Republican, Democrat, or Independent – could fail to support this bill,” says Scheurer. “It offers us honest accounting, tax cuts, and budget deficit reductions – everyone supports at least one of these goals – I support all three.”

The costs of these wars have been made invisible, buried in mountains of deficit spending. We put the cost of both “guns and butter” on our Chinese credit card. In fact, we do not even put these wars in our budget. They are still passed under an “emergency supplemental” funding guise – an “emergency” that has gone on for nine years, with no end in sight.

What Orwell satirized in "1984" has come true. What Eisenhower warned us about concerning the "military-industrial complex" has come true. War is a permanent feature of our society, so much so that we don’t even notice it anymore – until the bill comes due!

--
This is the Randi Scheurer for Congress group.
image001.jpg