New recruit

Bill Amberg

Nov 19, 2006, 4:10:52 PM11/19/06
to Free Geek Cincinnati
Dave,

It was good meeting you at the CLUG meeting and being introduced to
free geek. This is definitely the type of thing I could get behind.
Free geek seems like a healthy mix of community outreach, environmental
tree-hugginess, and open source evangelism. I'm constantly installing
linux as it is, I'd love to be able to do it for a cause.

I mentioned this to you at the meeting but I'll post it up here for the
group. http://www.idealist.org/ is a site where you can find NPOs by
region and other criteria. Organizations can also post any help
they're looking for. This site could be a good way to hook free geek
Cincinnati up with organizations that could use linux machines in the
area. As for a specific organization, maybe we could donate computers
to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Cincinnati. I don't have any experience
with them personally but it seems like the kids might be able to use
the computers.

Glad to be the second person posting to this group. Hopefully we can
get this moving and things will seem a little less schizophrenic for
you in the group :) Any ideas on where we could store computers and
work? I could scrounge up a computer or two.

dave.me...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2006, 6:31:26 PM11/19/06
to Free Geek Cincinnati
Bill, thanks so much for joining. I'm happy to have more people
involved in the conversation.

http://www.idealist.org/ definitely looks like it will be worth looking
into. I skimmed the site, but didn't look in depth yet.

I'm thinking one of the first questions it would be good to answer is
the question of location. As I mentioned to you at the CLUG meeting, I
think it might be possible to use the warehouse I work at, but I
haven't asked my boss yet. Other than that don't have any real leads.
There are a wide range of places that we could work in. I think the
key right now is finding something free or very cheap.

Dave