New HS Redesign Plan Unveiled

Jeff Hammond

Sep 28, 2010, 9:55:09 AM9/28/10
to Franklin community forum on HS redesign
The latest HS Redesign plan was unveiled at last nights school board
meeting.
Under Smith’s revised proposal:

Cleveland, Franklin, Grant, Lincoln, Madison, Roosevelt and Wilson
high schools would operate as community comprehensive schools with
neighborhood boundaries and an equitable, well-rounded high school
program.

Benson Polytechnic High School, Jefferson High School, and existing
charter schools would make up a network of focus schools – open to
students from across the school district.

Benson will continue to offer a four-year program of career and
technical education, serving approximately 425 to 850 students full
time on the campus, enabling students to pursue one or more in-depth
career focused programs.

Jefferson would build on a strong partnership with Portland Community
College to offer a middle college program that provides students the
chance to earn college credits while pursuing their high school
diploma. Students residing in the current Jefferson boundary could
choose to attend the Jefferson focus school, or have guaranteed
entrance into Grant, Madison or Roosevelt high schools, depending on
their address.

The Harriet Tubman Leadership Academy for Young Women would no longer
offer a high school program, but would become a stand-alone focus
middle school, independent of Jefferson High, serving grades 6 to 8.

The existing small schools on the Marshall Campus – BizTech, Pauling
and Renaissance Arts academies – would close after the current school
year. PPS would go through a process to assess options for use of the
Marshall Campus.

More information at:
http://www.pps.k12.or.us/files/high-school-system/HSDesign_ReviesdPlan_V01withchanges.pdf

Jacob Michaels

Sep 28, 2010, 10:51:08 AM9/28/10
to Franklin community forum on HS redesign
Thanks, Jeff. Hope you and your family had a great summer!

Franklin related issues: Sunnyside (!), Bridger, and then most
feeders directly around Marshall campus go to Franklin. Unresolved:
Creston/Woodstock/Woodmere/Whitman.

Cleveland gets Buckman back. Clear for socio-economic balance (same
point as in the spring) Woodmere/Whitman should feed into Cleveland.

Creston should stay Franklin (100 years of site either being Franklin
HS, or feeding into Franklin), and Woodstock should go back to
Franklin (has been a Franklin feeder as recently as 8 years ago, I
think?).

Side note: Creston added a 3rd Kindergarten class last week due to
surge in enrollment. More big news will probably come out of Creston
soon.

Woodstock/Creston are especially important for Franklin if Spanish
Immersion and Russian Immersion are sited at Franklin and NOT
Japanese, as the plan calls for now. Japanese immersion takes a large
chunk of our neighborhood population, and Mt Tabor MS, to Grant every
year.

Side note II: Cleveland prelim fall 2010 population: 1597 (highest in
school history, I believe). Franklin 1063.

Jacob
> More information at:http://www.pps.k12.or.us/files/high-school-system/HSDesign_ReviesdPla...

Jeff Hammond

Sep 28, 2010, 11:16:30 AM9/28/10
to frankli...@googlegroups.com
Jacob, I think it's time for Franklin to make some noise.
Encourage everyone to write letters, emails and testify.
This is to be voted on in 2 weeks.

I need to crunch some enrollment numbers to see how they can balance out enrollment among Cleveland and Franklin.
Figuring out where everyone should go from Lane, Woodstock, Creston, Sunnyside & Richmond is a "rubiks cube" of sorts.

I personally think we need to push for Woodmere/Whitman/Lane going to Cleveland.
Creston/Sunnyside/Richmond coming to Franklin.

I think Woodstock will remain a feeder to Hosford/Cleveland because Cleveland has the Chinese program and Franklin will have the Spanish program. (potentially the Japanese program too if we can get Richmond back).
Then in 7 years we are supposed to have the Russian program, but Lane going to Cleveland throws a wrench in that because the Russian program is supposed to go from Kelly to Lane.

Never easy, is it.

Jeff

Jacob

> charter schools would make up a network of focus schools - open to

> students from across the school district.
>
> Benson will continue to offer a four-year program of career and
> technical education, serving approximately 425 to 850 students full
> time on the campus, enabling students to pursue one or more in-depth
> career focused programs.
>
> Jefferson would build on a strong partnership with Portland Community
> College to offer a middle college program that provides students the
> chance to earn college credits while pursuing their high school
> diploma. Students residing in the current Jefferson boundary could
> choose to attend the Jefferson focus school, or have guaranteed
> entrance into Grant, Madison or Roosevelt high schools, depending on
> their address.
>
> The Harriet Tubman Leadership Academy for Young Women would no longer
> offer a high school program, but would become a stand-alone focus
> middle school, independent of Jefferson High, serving grades 6 to 8.
>

> The existing small schools on the Marshall Campus - BizTech, Pauling
> and Renaissance Arts academies - would close after the current school

lisa zuniga

Sep 28, 2010, 11:48:49 AM9/28/10
to Franklin community forum on HS redesign, frankli...@googlegroups.com
My personal hope is that the Japanese Immersion program will move to Franklin, restoring the feeder pattern and, by virtue, strengthening our middle and high schools.

Sep 28, 2010, 12:18:26 PM9/28/10
to Franklin community forum on HS redesign, frankli...@googlegroups.com
I've talked to JMP parents who say they would be absolutely on board with moving to Franklin...and it is in keeping with the overall redesign goal to have that happen. In short, I'm still hopeful that it will be considered as a viable and potentially key change as the boundaries are configured.

Jeff Hammond

Sep 28, 2010, 12:21:53 PM9/28/10
to frankli...@googlegroups.com
Jacob.
I'm guessing the Mandarin program has been there for 8 years or so, but I'm not sure.

When looking at a map, wouldn't it seem odd to send Lane to Cleveland, yet Woodstock to Franklin?
What rationale could be used for making an argument to support the case (other than pure socio-economic).

I really didn't hear much uproar about moving the JMP program. Actually I heard the contrary from families at both Franklin and Grant.

Jeff

> > charter schools would make up a network of focus schools - open to

> > students from across the school district.
>
> > Benson will continue to offer a four-year program of career and
> > technical education, serving approximately 425 to 850 students full
> > time on the campus, enabling students to pursue one or more in-depth
> > career focused programs.
>
> > Jefferson would build on a strong partnership with Portland Community
> > College to offer a middle college program that provides students the
> > chance to earn college credits while pursuing their high school
> > diploma. Students residing in the current Jefferson boundary could
> > choose to attend the Jefferson focus school, or have guaranteed
> > entrance into Grant, Madison or Roosevelt high schools, depending on
> > their address.
>
> > The Harriet Tubman Leadership Academy for Young Women would no longer
> > offer a high school program, but would become a stand-alone focus
> > middle school, independent of Jefferson High, serving grades 6 to 8.
>

> > The existing small schools on the Marshall Campus - BizTech, Pauling
> > and Renaissance Arts academies - would close after the current school

Betsy Salter

Sep 28, 2010, 1:28:01 PM9/28/10
to frankli...@googlegroups.com
I will participate in a letter writing campaign, but will need talking points as I have been relying on those of you who have an in-depth understanding of the pros and cons of various options.

Thank You!!!

Betsy Salter
betsy...@comcast.net
971-645-6066

Jacob Michaels

Sep 28, 2010, 2:42:08 PM9/28/10
to Franklin community forum on HS redesign
Oh, god, that's great news about the JMP folk! I'm glad I am wrong. I
had heard they were really wedded to Grant.

My niece goes to Richmond JMP-my son at Creston would be very excited
if they could reunite in HS. We live 3 blocks from each other on
Brooklyn and 45th.

As far as Woodstock, Jeff you're right it does look strange. But
honestly it also looks strange for Woodstock to feed into Hosford.

As far as the feeder map looking a bit gerrymandered, I think it is
unavoidable if PPS wants to have slightly better socio-economic
balance in SE.

But with the closure of Kellogg what 3 years ago now it seems
absolutely essential Creston feed into Franklin. If it doesn't, it
continues the worrisome trend of every middle school closest to
Franklin being closed, or lost to Cleveland-a school now pushing
1600.

This makes geographic/neighborhood sense (one of the goals of the
Redesign, yes?).

Actually this proximity argument holds true for Woodstock as well.
Woodstock fed into Kellogg until spring 2006 I think. Mandarin
immersion can go to Hosford, everyone else can feed into Creston!

On another note, I feel the Marshall area really was treated shabbily.
I can't help but look at the boundary map and think that a better
argument could be made for closing Madison. That neighborhood could be
served predominately by Grant and Marshall. Instead, we have this
awkward divvying up of the area between Madison/Franklin/Cleveland.
Marshall could have become a comprehensive again.

Jacob

On Sep 28, 10:28 am, Betsy Salter <betsysal...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I will participate in a letter writing campaign, but will need talking points as I have been relying on those of you who have an in-depth understanding of the pros and cons of various options.
>
> Thank You!!!
>
> Betsy Salter
> betsysal...@comcast.net

Jeff Hammond

Sep 28, 2010, 12:24:17 PM9/28/10
to frankli...@googlegroups.com

Lisa, it is those voices that need to be heard.

Encourage them to send emails, letters and testify as to their desires.

Thanks.

Jeff W Hammond
scott|edwards architecture, llp
2525 e. burnside st., portland, or 97214
503.226.3617 phone              503.226.3715 fax
www.seallp.com