Information on Lane Students from PPS Data & Policy Analysis Dept.

Jeff Hammond

Nov 19, 2010, 6:44:18 PM11/19/10
to frankli...@googlegroups.com

FYI

From: Jeff Hammond
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 3:43 PM
To: Sara Allan; Sarah Singer; Pam Knowles; Ruth Adkins; Bobbie Regan; Zeke Smith; Carole Smith
Cc: Jeff Hammond
Subject: Information on Lane Students from PPS Data & Policy Analysis Dept.

Sarah & Sara, I just received this data from the district on current distribution of Lane students.

this is very interesting as it shows that many students from Lane already attend Cleveland and is not such a foreign concept.

This was something Karl Logan mentioned at our meeting earlier this week.

He had stated, that although when polled, the students said they would rather go to Franklin, this has traditionally not been the case and many of them attend Franklin, Cleveland and Benson.

It is interesting when looking at the data I received from the district that approximately 20% of lane students have chosen to attend Cleveland in the past.  (Actually more lane students chose to attend Cleveland that Franklin)

Wasn’t the fact that 20% of last years students at Creston are now attending Cleveland the justification you used at the board subcommittee meeting on Wednesday?

I believe you said “since 20% of Creston already goes to Cleveland, therefore we believe this change of feeder won’t be a big deal.”

So why in this same justification not applicable for sending Whitman to Cleveland?

In looking at the data, It is 8 minutes longer by bus for kids to go from Whitman to Cleveland, than Whitman to Franklin.

While Creston is an 8 minute walk to Franklin, yet a 15 minute bus ride to Cleveland.

Combine that with the fact that 20% of Whitman students already go to Cleveland.

So I ask, why is the justification not valid in one instance and the basis for a recommendation in the other?

Isn’t the district committed to work towards a closer balance of SES where easily achieved.

This seems to be an option to easily achieve a closer balance.

Am I missing something here?

Jeff W Hammond

President - Franklin High School PTA

Parent Representative – FHS Site Council

503-502-3004

The first table shows the schools that students enrolled at Lane (as 8th graders) in October 2009, were enrolled in October 2010 (9th grade).

2009 enrolled school

2010 enrolled school

Total

Lane

Benson

2

Cleveland

19

Franklin

18

Madison

1

Marshall Campus

55

Mt Scott Park HS Learning Ctr

1

Oregon Outreach, McCoy Academy

1

PPS Pioneer Programs

1

Lane Total

98

The second table shows the schools that students who lived in the Lane neighborhood (8th graders in October 2009), enrolled in October 2010 (9th grade).

2009 Neighborhood

2010 enrolled school

Total

Lane

Benson

6

Cleveland

31

Franklin

26

Grant

2

Madison

2

Marshall Campus

59

Mt Scott Park HS Learning Ctr

3

Lane Total

129

The third table shows where students who lived in the Lane neighborhood and attended Lane (8th graders in October 2009), by where they enrolled in October 2010 (9th graders).

2009 Neighborhood

2009 enrolled school

2010 enrolled school

Total

Lane

Lane

Benson

2

Cleveland

13

Franklin

14

Madison

1

Marshall Campus

51

Mt Scott Park HS Learning Ctr

1

Lane Total

82

Lane Total

82

Dona K. Lehr, Ph.D.

Program Director

Data and Policy Analysis

Portland Public Schools

>>> On 11/16/2010 at 11:43 AM, in message <3A48AAB8830496498E7BE...@BRAVO.seallp.local>, Jeff Hammond <Je...@seallp.com> wrote:

Good morning Donna.

I had a meeting with Karl Logan the principal of Lane this AM and he mentioned that many of his students don’t continue to the high school in their catchment and choose to transfer elsewhere.  He mentioned many go to Marshall, Franklin, Cleveland and Benson in particular.

Do you have data on where last years 8th graders go to high school now?

Or even the previous years students as well?

I’m just trying to see what he was talking about and how significant this is.

Thanks again for your help.