major changes to PPS high schools

Jeff Hammond

Oct 13, 2010, 10:16:39 AM10/13/10
to frankli...@googlegroups.com

School board voted last night.

The following changes are underway.

Transforming Jefferson into a “middle college” focus school.

Closing the Marshall campus.

It was a sad day for our friends in the Marshall community.

Franklin’s PTA meeting tonight will be focused on the HS Redesign Plan.

We will begin to examine potential boundary, feeder school and program changes.

Also a discussion on how best to reach out to the Marshall community to help ease the transition for Marshall students and families.

The meeting will be from 7:00pm – 8:30pm in the Franklin Library.

Hope to see you there.

-Jeff

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.

Portland Public Schools

501 North Dixon Street / Portland, OR 97227
503-916-3304 / pub...@pps.k12.or.us
Community Involvement & Public Affairs

Portland Public Schools News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:

Matt Shelby, PPS Communications, 503-916-3027

School board approves major changes to PPS high schools

Portland, Ore., Oct. 12, 2010: The Portland School Board tonight took a major step toward creating a more sustainable high school system by approving the most significant changes to PPS high schools in three decades. The changes go into effect in fall 2011.

The school board approved three key resolutions:

  • Endorsing the overall structure for the PPS High School System and directing PPS staff to implement a core academic program at seven comprehensive schools; identifying career exploration opportunities at Benson and across the district; and establishing an accountability system for implementation of the proposed changes. (The vote was 6-1 for approval. Directors Ruth Adkins, Pam Knowles, Bobbie Regan, Trudy Sargent, Dilafruz Williams and David Wynde voted yes, with Director Martin Gonzalez voting no. Student Representative Dina Yazdani also opposed the resolution.)
  • Transforming Jefferson High School into a districtwide college-oriented focus option school with dual enrollment options for neighborhood students. (Approved 6 to 1, with directors Adkins, Knowles, Regan, Sargent, Williams and Wynde voting yes, and Director Gonzalez voting no. Student Representative Yazdani supported this resolution.)
  •  Closing the three small schools on the Marshall Campus to increase enrollment and strengthen the academic program at the seven comprehensive high schools. (Approved 4 to 3, with directors Adkins, Knowles, Regan and Sargent voting yes. Directors Gonzalez, Williams, and Wynde voted no. Student Representative Yazdani also opposed the resolution.)

School Board Co-Chair Trudy Sargent said, “These are difficult but needed changes. PPS has lost nearly 2,500 high school students since 2001, yet we’ve continued operating the same number of campuses.” Sargent added, “This new structure guarantees all students access to a rigorous and comprehensive high school and provides enough choice for students to find their best fit in our system.”

The approved High School System includes:

  • Community comprehensive high schools with attendance boundaries on the Cleveland, Franklin, Grant, Lincoln, Madison, Roosevelt and Wilson campuses.
  • A districtwide, four-year career-technical program at Benson Polytechnic High School.
  • A districtwide, four-year middle-college program at Jefferson High School with guaranteed access for Jefferson neighborhood students.
  • The existing network of charter and alternative schools open to all PPS students.

The votes mark a significant milestone in district efforts to increase the graduation rate and better engage all students.

With the High School System framework set, PPS can begin to focus on the multitude of implementation tasks.

“This marks the end of one chapter and the beginning of a new one,” noted Superintendent Smith. “We now shift our focus to supporting Marshall Cluster students’ transition to new schools, developing a strong core curriculum at our comprehensive high schools and working with communities on issues such as setting boundaries and assigning students.”

This month, the school district will begin the formal process to establish the Harriet Tubman Leadership Academy for Young Women as a focus option school, independent of Jefferson High School. Superintendent Smith is recommending that the academy serve only grades 6 through 8 – eliminating grades 9 through 12.

Over the next several weeks, PPS will work with the Marshall and Jefferson communities to finalize recommendations for high school boundaries for the 2011-12 school year. The school district also will work with Marshall Campus educators and families to identify the specific schools Marshall students will attend next year.

Further information on High School System Design is online, including the board resolutions and school closure reports.

Find us on Facebook

At Portland Public Schools, this is our goal: By the end of elementary, middle, and high school, every student by name will meet or exceed academic standards and will be fully prepared to make productive life decisions. For more information on Portland Public Schools, call 503-916-3304, e-mail us at pub...@pps.k12.or.us, or visit www.pps.k12.or.us. Portland Public Schools is an equal opportunity educator and employer.

This email was sent to je...@seallp.com. To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list.

manage your preferences | opt out of all emails from Portland Public Schools using TrueRemove®