VERY IMPORTANT meeting at FRANKLIN - PLEASE READ!!

Molly

Nov 7, 2010, 11:44:22 PM11/7/10
to Franklin community forum on HS redesign
Dear Friends and Neighbors,

Franklin High School PTA will be hosting a Q&A session with PPS
district officials and school board members regarding the pending
boundary changes due to the closure of Marshall High School. Franklin
is extending an invite to their feeder schools as well as those within
the Marshall cluster.

Franklin Library
Wednesday November 10
7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
The district needs to hear our voices and concerns

THIS BOUNDARY DECISION CAN AFFECT OUR NEIGHBORHOODS & OUR FRANKLIN
CATCHMENT FOREVER!!

If you live in the Franklin catchment area, whether you have kids or
not, and whether you send them to Franklin, Cleveland,
or other high school, middle or elementary school - this boundary
decision will affect YOU!

For those who haven’t seen the 3 options, check out the PPS website
http://www.pps.k12.or.us/departments/high-school-system/4718.htm
We have also included at the bottom of this email, a letter that
Franklin High School PTA and Parent Representative FHS Site Council,
Jeff Hammond sent to the board which eloquently outlines our position
in support of Option 2, which is the closest in implementing PPS's
criteria for deciding new boundaries:
- Minimizing the distance students would need to travel each day

- Increasing socioeconomic diversity in schools

- Balancing enrollment among high schools

Minimizing the distance students would need to travel each day
One of our biggest concerns is Option 1, which removes Creston K-8
from the Franklin catchment. Creston's border is the west side of
52nd - literally across the street from Franklin HS! Removing Creston
from the FHS catchment would remove 25% of the Franklin students who
walk to school! Taking away an integral and historical part of the
Franklin community would be a devastating blow and would disrupt the
heart of the Franklin community.

Increasing socioeconomic diversity in schools
With 48 percent free and reduced lunch in Franklin's current
demographic, we recognize SES (socioeconomic status) diversity as one
of Franklin's greatest strengths. But there needs to be continued
balance within the school. Option 2 best supports this criteria.
According to a report in PPS's study for the HS Redesign project -
when more than 50% of students are low SES, only 1.1 percent of
schools consistently performed at a high level. One could argue that
50 percent is the tipping point. And the ultimate goal of the redesign
is to increase our high schools' graduation rates, while providing
equity in school offerings across the district. Under strong
leadership and with dedicated staff, parents, and community, Franklin
has for years succeeded in engaging and graduating students. Franklin
was last year awarded, for the 2nd year in a row, an Outstanding
rating on the State Report Card. We want to keep this momentum. Why
create a struggle under a statistic that could be ameliorated by the
redesign?

Balancing enrollment among high schools
All 3 options appear to balance enrollment among Franklin, Cleveland
and Madison.

The devil is in the details, folks, and these decisions will have far
reaching effects into our community - it is really important that you
make your voice heard. Below is Jeff's letter to the board as well as
email addresses for board and staff. Please encourage your friends
and neighbors to attend this meeting and or send emails to the board.
Feel free to forward this email.

FRANKLIN IS YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOL!
WHAT OPTION DO YOU THINK WILL BEST SERVE ALL THE STUDENTS AND THE
COMMUNITY AS A WHOLE?

- Molly Cliff Hilts and Dave Hilts, parents of a Franklin HS senior
and sophomore

PS - if you plan to attend Wednesday's meeting - just hit reply or
email me at mo...@mollycliffhilts.com so I can have a sense of
numbers. Thanks!

You can also join Franklin's Catchment discussion group: franklin-
fo...@googlegroups.com (it looks like we have been hacked!)