RE: [Four-Corners-Stargazers:919]

jeff

May 30, 2017, 3:22:04 PM5/30/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Charles eq1 with the motorized drive unit. Full frame 6d with a 24-70 2.8 without problems. Compare weight to that.

When I use my 70-200 f4, I use the lens ring for balance and it works

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5

May 30, 2017, 4:03:52 PM5/30/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
That EQ-1 is on the _really_ low end for imaging those wide-field shots. Orion has some much beefier mounts that would be more appropriate for 600mm, such as an Atlas (there are a variety of similar models and I am not the one to tell you the differences). But once you start imaging with that long of a focal length you will want a guide scope, so that is a few more lbs with a side by side mount. Again, Orion or Meade likely has something, but to get the right size, the rule of thumb is double your estimated load weight to get the right sized mount. For a higher end mount of that size, a Losmandy GM8 would work, or a G11 would be more upgradeable as far as the weight. I am not sure what else is in the similar price/performance range as the Losmandy, but mostly you get what you pay for.

Charlie

R06caddy

May 30, 2017, 5:03:42 PM5/30/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com

The eq-1 has a load rating of 7lbs.  Looks like a nice portable unit but I need something a little beefier.

Emilio Rivera

May 30, 2017, 5:18:09 PM5/30/17
to Four Corners Stargazers
I'd recommend the Celestron AVX mount if you're really looking for computerization. It's just about the best value you can get in the category, and it doesn't shake as much as cheaper options. I know a few people that do a lot of great light imaging with them with smaller scopes and cameras.

The Orion Skyview Pro is another decent similar choice.

The Orion Atlas and Celestron CGEM are fantastic imaging mounts, but they're massive overkill without a scope or big magnification.

I've also heard iOptron makes pretty good EQ mounts and trackers for a bit less, but I don't know much about them. They do have a few great digital (no computer) camera-specific mounts though.

R06caddy

May 30, 2017, 5:40:12 PM5/30/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
If I get hooked on this, how much weight capacity do I need to be looking at for an astronomical telescope that would be a logical step up from the 600mm f4 camera lens? Would I be better off starting with something shorter than 600mm? I want to keep this one man portable.

May 30, 2017, 5:41:37 PM5/30/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
I admit, the one I'm using is tricky. Gotta balance the counterweight just right. What are some good mid range options?

Charles L Hakes

May 30, 2017, 9:02:01 PM5/30/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
I think that AVX would be the minimum for what you want, and a 600mm focal length is not that small. “Camera” lenses have the advantage that they are designed to focus on something flat (the sensor), whereas most “telescopes” have assorted other aberrations that you typically need to deal with when imaging. I think portability is important for the usability of your mount, so yes think about the total mass. However, it is pretty safe to say that the heavier the mount, the more stable it will be and the longer the exposures you will be able to get.

Charlie

R06caddy

May 30, 2017, 9:37:08 PM5/30/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your input. I'm going to be at the Andrews Lake event and I'm beginning to believe I should wait for that opportunity to talk to people directly before making this decision. My season there is so short, I wanted to get a jump on it.

May 30, 2017, 10:43:22 PM5/30/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
With multipliers this lens can be set up as an 840mm f5.6 or a 1200mm f8 and 20" long without the camera or lens hood. From this discussion, it would seem 30lb is probably the minimum supportable weight I should be looking at. The next step up is 40-44lb range with the orion, and celestron. The next jump is 60lb which is probably the limit for portability. If you haven't figured it out I photography birds and mammals but have an interest in astrophotography too. I have an interest in astrophotography but near zero knowledge.

Jun 21, 2017, 12:19:48 PM6/21/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
How would I go about learning how to use an equatorial mount?? Bob Hutson

There are instructions online and both Charlie and Emilio could probably help a s well.

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 10:19:53 AM MDT, R06caddy <r06c...@gmail.com> wrote:

How would I go about learning how to use an equatorial mount??  Bob Hutson

I'd say the AVX is your best bet then. It's already at the "not very portable" level, and you'll find yourself spending a huge amount of time setting up the bigger ones if you want to move them. The CGEM and Atlas mounts are very heavy setups, and many people fix them in observatories to avoid setup.

Stephen Lewis

Jun 21, 2017, 5:33:24 PM6/21/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
Where at the lake are we meeting?  This is my first time at an event like this.  I'm bringing my telescope and mount, assuming I will set it up.  Of course I mainly want to look at everyone else's scopes, and the amazing sky we hope to be seeing.  What is a good time to arrive?  Thanks.

Steve

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 10:36 AM, 'John Buting' via Four Corners Stargazers <four-corner...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
There are instructions online and both Charlie and Emilio could probably help a s well.

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 10:19:53 AM MDT, R06caddy <r06c...@gmail.com> wrote:

How would I go about learning how to use an equatorial mount??  Bob Hutson

Jun 21, 2017, 6:07:03 PM6/21/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
We will be in the UPPER LOT. There is an entrance road of US 550 and about 1/2 mile in (maybe less) an option to turn left and continue a gradual uphill climb. This will lead to our site area. I am bringing my 20" and plan on being there between 7 and 7:30. Others may be later--the program will start by 9 PM on planets.

While the forecast has been all over the place all week, currently it is calling for a MOSTLY CLEAR night with a few passing clouds possible after midnight. Sunday's forecast is for continued SUNNY, so if I had to bet I'd say we'll have a good night.

One last point--if you can see the lake where you pull in--YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE!!! That is the LOWER LOT--we will be in the UPPER. Look forward to seeing you and welcome!

John

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/ group/four-corners-stargazers.

Stephen Lewis

Jun 22, 2017, 12:57:54 AM6/22/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John, that's very helpful.  I will be there with my 4" refractor on the CGEM 2 mount.

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 3:33:28 PM MDT, Stephen Lewis <stephe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Where at the lake are we meeting?  This is my first time at an event like this.  I'm bringing my telescope and mount, assuming I will set it up.  Of course I mainly want to look at everyone else's scopes, and the amazing sky we hope to be seeing.  What is a good time to arrive?  Thanks.

Steve
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to four-corners-stargazers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

John Buting

Jun 22, 2017, 3:20:58 AM6/22/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
VERY good news Stephen! Look forward to it--we have some big Dobs, but haven't looked through a 4" refractor in a while, though Charlie Hakes does have a 6" he rarely brings.

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 11:04:06 PM MDT, Stephen Lewis <stephe...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to four-corners-star...@googlegroups.com.

R06caddy

Jun 22, 2017, 9:27:37 AM6/22/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com

I plan to be there too.  Looking forward to it.  Bob Hutson

Charles L Hakes

Jun 22, 2017, 9:36:26 AM6/22/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
The 6” will not make the trip this time either, but I do hope to make it up with the G-11 and maybe set up for some imaging, to see how that will go.

Charlie

R06caddy

Jun 22, 2017, 10:09:49 AM6/22/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a chance for me to learn something!

Charles L Hakes

Jun 25, 2017, 10:00:32 AM6/25/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
Bob. Thanks for the timer.  Lots of issues with the setup, but salvageable results.  These are just single images without darks.

IMG_8219
Antares and M4, 2 minute exposure.

IMG_8233
M16 and M17, Eagle and Swan, 3 minute exposure.

IMG_8241
North American Nebula, 3 minute exposure.

R06caddy

Jun 25, 2017, 3:04:35 PM6/25/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com

It would be interesting to see what difference the darks make.  Do it only if you were going to do it anyway.  Thanks for the lessons.  I’m planning to go with the g11.  My 600 f4 works out to be what you astronomers would call a 150mm or a 6” measured front objective.  It also gives me a platform that should last for whatever I want to do in the future.  Have not looked at mine yet.  Will post when I get them but all 15-24mm widefields.

Bob Hutson

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg

John Buting

Jun 25, 2017, 3:45:22 PM6/25/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com, Jerry Granok, Pat and Holly Hasenbuhler, Bryan Cashion, Candace Pratt, Chuck Dethloff
Thanks to all attended last night's program. We are now an INCREDIBLE 8-8 on nearly PERFECT nights at Andrews Lake during the past 4 yrs, but that might have been the darkest night yet. The Sagitarrius/Scorpius Milky Way was the BRIGHTEST--by FAR--of ANY place I've seen this summer!

We did not quite reach the hoped-for 22 on the Sky Quality Meter-but pretty darn close! 21.91 at 10:45 PM with still a lot of twilight on the western horizon. The brilliant MW prevented attaining that again, but Roger and I DID get a 21.82 with the Milky Way high overhead at 2:45 AM. I did some pre-bedtime research when I got home at 4 AM, and from best I could tell, highest EVER recorded is a 22.1 in the Austrailian Outback, and 21.9 considered EXTREMELY rare. So, given we had a 21.84 at Lemon Weds, and both a 21.82 and 21.91 at Andrews all this week, we are in pretty exclusive company indeed!

I guesstimated about 30-35 total--hard to nail down since people came and went. But very good turnout given the dearth of (and bungled) publicity for this one and everyone was pretty blown away from all the comments I heard. Any more, and we would DEF have needed a few more scopes.

Hope to see you all again next month--rest up!

John