John Buting

Emilio Rivera

Jul 14, 2017, 8:37:50 PM7/14/17
to Four Corners Stargazers

I've got some sad news folks.

I'm sure some of you have already heard, but our great friend John Buting who's organized and run most of our events these last few years passed away in the hospital last night.

Plans from his family are still pending, but we'll let you know.

John helped many community organizations and cared deeply about his causes. He was always eager to teach us about the wonders of the night sky. We'll all miss him.

We'd like to reach out to everybody on the list to ask you to keep promoting astronomy and help with events as he has. Please let us know if there are any events he had been working on with you, and we'll get some more group members to help.

Clear Skies,

Emilio Rivera

jeff

Jul 14, 2017, 9:16:06 PM7/14/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
I was day for both four corners astronomy and anyone who benefited his volunteer work with the Boys and Girls Club (science John), Powerhouse, and Adaptive Sports.

When he wasn't educating, he was donating his free time.

Miss you, buddy.

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5

Shawn Collins

Jul 14, 2017, 10:26:26 PM7/14/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
That comes as a shock.  Grateful to have been able to be under the skies with him and his telescope the times I have had the good fortune to.  Does anybody know what happened, I did not know he was in any risk. Wish his family and community well.

Dick White

Jul 14, 2017, 10:36:14 PM7/14/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com

Emilio,

Thank you for conveying the sad news.  John had shared the news that he was dealing with health issues, but this feels terribly sudden.

All, I would like to suggest that a suitable memorial for John Buting would be a concerted effort among star-gazers in the Four Corners region to lobby with local officials for adoption or improvement of local Dark Sky Ordinances, along with Dark Sky certification for Chimney Rock.  John was working with me in my role on the Durango City Council to advocate for improvements in Durango’s dark-sky ordinance (which applies to new construction and major renovations on commercial properties—but not residences) and for Durango to become a Dark Sky Community certified by the International Dark Sky Association.  If you are interested in pursuing this, please contact me (dick...@durangogov.org or rwh...@gobrainstorm.net.)  (For those who don’t know me, I am a retired astronomy professor and I have been a member of IDA more or less since its founding.)

May there be some clear intervals for star-gazing during the monsoon.  John’s rhapsody about the last great session at Andrews Lake might serve as an appropriate epitaph.

      Dick White

Jul 14, 2017, 11:12:53 PM7/14/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
I am so very sorry to hear about John. He was an inspiration. Clear skies, John.

Alan Scott

Jul 15, 2017, 3:27:57 AM7/15/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com

Hi Lewis and everyone,

Alan Scott here.  I am a long time lurker in the four corners star gazers.  I live near Albuquerque, and am a member of TAAS, but also have a residence near Mancos.  I was wondering if you ever hold presentations?  I have two talks that I would enjoy giving to your group, if you good folks are interested.  One is how to create a 12" travel telescope, the other is on the OzSky star party in Australia.  I run up to check on our house near Mancos about once a month in the winter, thus would be in the neighborhood.  Let me know if you are interested.

Alan Scott

801-599-1203

hial...@hotmail.com

https://user.xmission.com/~alanne/DStr/DS-tr-Main.html

Charles L Hakes

Jul 15, 2017, 7:14:45 AM7/15/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
This is sad news indeed. I understood there were some health issues, but had no idea of the severity. I saw John just a couple of weeks ago as he was preparing a Boys and Girls club presentation, and he was showing his usual enthusiasm. He will be missed all around. Peace to his family and everyone who knew him.

Charlie

R06caddy

Jul 15, 2017, 9:32:32 AM7/15/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com

Do you know what happened.  He seemed in great shape at the Andrews Lake party.

This is sad news. I only know John for a few meet ups and he seemed on top of the world to me. I already miss him.

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 7:32 AM, R06caddy <r06c...@gmail.com> wrote:

Do you know what happened.  He seemed in great shape at the Andrews Lake party.

jeff

Jul 15, 2017, 12:34:23 PM7/15/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
He collapsed while working out in a gym.
He had known heart issues, among other stuff.

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5

Do you know what happened.  He seemed in great shape at the Andrews Lake party.

Isaac Turiel

Jul 15, 2017, 1:41:07 PM7/15/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com
I also met John on two occasions. I exchanged emails with him and he expressed his excitement about experiencing the solar eclipse next month. Such a nice guy. Very sorry to learn this bad news

Ike Turiel

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to four-corners-star...@googlegroups.com.

R06caddy

Jul 15, 2017, 9:50:40 PM7/15/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com

He was a kind generous man.  There are too few like him in this world.  He will be missed.

Bill Bryan

Jul 15, 2017, 11:09:14 PM7/15/17
to four-corner...@googlegroups.com

I’m sorry to hear about John.  He was one who loved who loved nature. I will never forget my first view of the Veil

Nebula thru his large scope

Bill Bryan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

This is sad news. I only know John for a few meet ups and he seemed on top of the world to me. I already miss him.

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 7:32 AM, R06caddy <r06c...@gmail.com> wrote:

Do you know what happened.  He seemed in great shape at the Andrews Lake party.

Emilio Rivera

Jul 17, 2017, 10:41:42 PM7/17/17
to Four Corners Stargazers
John's brother Jerry has informed me that John's celebration of life will be this Saturday the 22nd at 5 PM. It's going to be at the Cowboy Church across from Miller. More details should appear in the paper later.

-Emilio