Prominent Dentists Say Drinking Fluoridated Water is Risky

NYSCOF

Oct 27, 2011, 8:55:10 AM10/27/11
to Fluoridation News Releases
NEW YORK, Oct. 5, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Breaking away from
dental school dogma, more dentists are speaking out against
fluoridation because fluoride chemicals, added to NYC's water supply
intending to reduce tooth decay, are actually a money-wasting health
risk.

Seven NYC Council Members sponsored legislation (1) and residents are
petitioning Mayor Bloomberg to stop fluoridation, to preserve money
and health. Join them: http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-fluoridation-in-new-york-city

Hydrofluosilicic acid, a lead- and arsenic-laced chemical (2) left-
over from making phosphate fertilizer (3) is NYC's fluoride chemical
of choice. Fluoridation cost NYC approximately $25 million in 2008.(4)

Dentist Caree Alexander, a former Navy practitioner, then a private
practice dentist for 20 years, says fluoridation is "totally
ineffective and actually damaging as well."(5)

Dr. Alexander says, "When I graduated from University, we weren't
given any information about where [fluoride] came from. We all assumed
it was [pharmaceutical-grade] calcium fluoride."

Prominent NYC dentist and Huffington Post Contributor, Dr. Thomas
Connelly, writes, "I do not see the good in fluoridating our drinking
water ... To me, the 'bad' it can (potentially) do outweighs the
good."(6)

Dr. Andrew Harms, former President, Australian Dental Association, who
once supported fluoridation, says, "I deeply regret this ... when I
did read the science about 10 years ago, I started to get serious
concerns."

Dr. Harms says, "To my amazement, when I tried to raise the issue with
the [Australian] Dental Association, whom I thought were interested in
the science and ... integrity, there was no interest. In fact there
was a lot of pressure against me to say anything at all. There was a
great concern about upsetting our principle sponsors, the toothpaste
manufacturers, who heavily compromise our University," says Harms in a
video documentary, Firewater. (7)

Dentist Hardy Limeback, Ph.D., University of Toronto Professor and
Head, Preventive Dentistry, apologized for promoting fluoridation
because toxicology research shows the purported benefits no longer
outweigh the risks.(8)

Dentist Bill Osmunson, Fluoride Action Network spokesperson, promoted
fluoridation for 25 years until his patients persuaded him to read the
science, "It [was] like a knee in the gut," he says. "Science has
turned against fluoridation and we must stop adding fluoride to
water."(9)

Dentist David Kennedy, International Academy of Oral Medicine and
Toxicology (IAOMT), past president and Fluoride Information Officer,
says, "Water fluoridation delivers a drug to infants at a level which
would be gross malpractice if prescribed by a physician or
dentist." (10) IAOMT is a network of dental, medical and research
professionals which supports the effort to inform consumers about
health risks from water fluoridation.

Over 3,790 professionals, including 324 dentists, signed a statement
opposing water fluoridation. See statement:
http://www.fluoridealert.org/professionals-statement.aspx

Attorney Paul Beeber, NYSCOF President, says, "The National Research
Council reported that fluoride, even at levels used for fluoridation,
can damage bones and teeth, disrupt thyroid function, be harmful to
kidney patients and that studies linking fluoride to lowered IQ and
cancer are plausible."

Dentist Jennifer Luke, Ph.D., says, "My [published] work showed that
fluoride accumulates in the human pineal gland and lowers melatonin
production in animals. I find it extraordinary that no government
promoting fluoridation has chosen to pursue these worrying
findings."(11)

Dentist and Doctor of Medical Science, Elise Bassin, published
unrefuted scientific evidence showing that fluoride can increase the
risk of osteosarcoma (a type of bone cancer) in boys and young men.
(12)

About 250 communities have stopped fluoridation in recent years.(13)

"All communities should stop fluoridation as soon as possible," says
Beeber.