Sally who?

PJ White

May 29, 2007, 12:39:49 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com
Anyone here know Sally? She's a blogger and journalist and she says
she spends "way too much time hanging around" this forum and places like it.

http://gettingink.typepad.com/getting_ink/2007/05/my_media_consum.html

Which is a bit comical, seeing as how there's hardly any posts. But
good to know it's stopping someone working anyway.

PJ

Chris Wheal

May 29, 2007, 12:46:34 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com
Guy must know her, otherwise she is defaming him by claiming to work for the
101 training company with him. Trouble is there are two Sallys involved, so
which is it?
Whealie

Guy Clapperton

May 29, 2007, 1:10:43 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com

Sally Whittle, very highly regarded in IT journalism, enough to be named in
an advert for an IT PR along with the universally-recognised best IT
journalist on the planet. The following link applies:

http://www.sourcethatjob.com/index.php?pg=Job&id=2649

Regards
Guy

Alan Hope

May 29, 2007, 2:08:44 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com

>http://gettingink.typepad.com/getting_ink/2007/05/my_media_consum.html

I'm surprised you've never heard of her. She pitches the editors of
the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, oh and The
Guardian, best to throw one in from Britain since you're actually
British.

You're not going to tell me she mixes in such august company and still
isn't a household name? Surely not!

--
AH
http://grapes2dot0.blogspot.com

PJ White

May 29, 2007, 3:07:28 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com
At 18:10 29/05/2007, Guy Clapperton wrote:
>Sally Whittle, very highly regarded in IT journalism, enough to be named in
>an advert for an IT PR along with the universally-recognised best IT
>journalist on the planet.

Okay, so you're both soft touches for any PR company on the make. But
is that something you want aired in public?

PJ

Guy Clapperton

May 29, 2007, 3:43:50 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com

Can you translate that into something comprehensible please? In what way
'soft touches'? What, in your increasingly beleagured brain, do you imagine
is actually going on here?

Regards
Guy

David Lawson

May 29, 2007, 4:31:49 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com
In message <006301c7a210$eb1273e0$c1375ba0$@com>, Chris Wheal
<ch...@whealassociates.com> writes
And how the hell does she get any work done if she is reading all that
crap every day? [And looking after a kid and a dog]
--
David Lawson
www.davidlawson.co.uk

PJ White

May 29, 2007, 5:23:28 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com
At 20:43 29/05/2007, Guy Clapperton wrote:
>Can you translate that into something comprehensible please? In what way
>'soft touches'? What, in your increasingly beleagured brain, do you imagine
>is actually going on here?

I thought it was like cosy, back-slapping, mutual encouragement
between PRs and hacks.

Sorry if I misread it. But when you write in your blog that someone
is massaging your ego. And claim to be "celebrities famous enough to
be quoted in adverts" and put a bid in for "commissions going for
personal appearances"... it's easy for a chap to get the wrong impression.

PJ

Guy Clapperton

May 29, 2007, 5:33:04 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com
On 29/5/07 22:23, "PJ White" <pjwhi...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> But when you write in your blog that someone
> is massaging your ego.

Yup, humorous headline, works for most.

> And claim to be "celebrities famous enough to
> be quoted in adverts"

Interesting use of quote marks there since nobody's said it. Almost makes it
look as though I'd said it. Which, of course, would be a total, filthy
fictionm and lie, not fit for posting by any self-respecting journalist like
yourself.

> and put a bid in for "commissions going for
> personal appearances"...

Again those quote marks for something nobody's said. Interesting. But yes, I
do speaking engagements as well as written journalism - it's a terrible
thing but there it is.

> it's easy for a chap to get the wrong impression.

If there's some twat out there making up quotes I'm sure it is...

PJ White

May 29, 2007, 6:16:26 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com
At 22:33 29/05/2007, Guy Clapperton wrote:
>Again those quote marks for something nobody's said.

The quote, copy & pasted from your blog was:

"so I'd guess if there are any commissions going for personal
appearances now that we're apparently celebrities famous enough to be
quoted in adverts, you know where to find us... "

I missed out an apparently - quibble if you like. But, the quote
marks are fine.

As you say, I'm a journalist - and it was the tone and mood I was
picking up on as well as the direct quotes.

PJ

Guy Clapperton

May 29, 2007, 7:13:20 PM5/29/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com

(SLAPS HEAD) I'd forgotten the bit that doesn't appear on the front page bit
- you're quite right, the quote is mine. Apologies.

But either you're being disingenuous or you missed the tone entirely. You
say I've 'put in a bid for' (now that *is* your phrase) commissions going
for personal appearances.

Now come on. The header on the blog entry was 'someone's been massaging my
ego'. Does that actually sound like some sort of serious bid for
commissions? Just how slow-witted can someone be? This is where the
'apparently' is actually an important omission - it's the clue that I'm not
taking this seriously, which is sadly missing from your selective quote.

Unless of course you were trying to join in the joke, in which case by all
means do, but don't use phrases like 'I thought it was like cosy,
back-slapping, mutual encouragement between PRs and hacks.' People will
think you're making a point or something, not that your point is actually
clear. People will think they're being insulted. People will start to hit
back. People will notice you've quoted selectively, misrepresenting the
original quote completely to further your own agenda, whatever that may be.

I can take that we don't share a sense of humour. That's perfectly fine,
nobody has to be on my wavelength of course. But your suggestion that you'd
picked up the tone and mood of my blog is way off-beam. I wouldn't normally
bother, it's not that important other than in the respect that people might
take your version as representing me rather than mine.

Regards
Guy

PJ White

May 30, 2007, 3:26:16 AM5/30/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com
At 00:13 30/05/2007, Guy Clapperton wrote:
>Unless of course you were trying to join in the joke, in which case by all
>means do, but don't use phrases like 'I thought it was like cosy,
>back-slapping, mutual encouragement between PRs and hacks.' People will
>think you're making a point or something, not that your point is actually
>clear.

Joinng in the joke? (BANGS FOREHEAD ON DESK,
SLUMPS BACK IN CHAIR, FLOPS ARMS TO THE SIDE IN
UTTER HOPELESSNESS, RAISES EYES TOWARDS THE
WELKIN IN DESPERATE BID FOR DIVINE ASSISTANCE,
SITS UPRIGHT, THEN FALLS FORWARD AND BANGS HEAD
THREE TIMES MORE ON DESK, BEFORE SPEAKING IN
HALTING VOICE THROUGH LAUGHTER AND TEARS OF
FRUSTRATION) Of...course...I...was...joking.

Think of it like an editorial office. Person A
looks up from desk, saying, "Oh, someone's been
massaging my ego", and reads out the ad.

Person B, known to be acerbic at times (though
with a heart of gold), mutters something about
person B being a "soft touch for PRs on the
make". (Nature of remark—teasing, gratuitous
spreading round of insults, humorous).

Person A rounds on person B, saying "what do you mean by that?"

Person B, not sure whether A is joking or not now
(he was expecting further banter back & isn't
sure if that is a serious challenge or not),
carries on making people laugh by mock
fulmination against "cosy, PR backslapping". And
also, to be on the safe side, offers a kind of
apology, with a kind of rationale or explanation,
which can serve as further humour or as a ground
for mock serious argument if person A seems to want it.

That's how I see it anyway. But what do I know?
On another forum I recently offered a couple of
people free places on a managing expectations
course I pretended I was running. It didn't occur
to either of them that it was a joke, and,
instead of banter, in return I got a big
telling-off. I'm beginning to realise this is my
fault. But honestly, this is how it is. I'm
wandering round the place thinking that I'm a
cross between Billy Connolly and Victoria Wood, &
I'm treated as if I'm an ex-KGB agent with a pocketful of polonium-210.

PJ

Ben Tudor

May 30, 2007, 4:56:33 AM5/30/07
to Fleet...@googlegroups.com
On 30/05/07, PJ White <pjwhi...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Person B, known to be acerbic at times (though
> with a heart of gold), mutters something about
> person B being a "soft touch for PRs on the

> make". (Nature of remark--teasing, gratuitous

> spreading round of insults, humorous).

Um, who's that?
Sorry, I've been away a while. I hope you two played nicely. You did
play nicely, didn't you?