Dance Club – Thursday, November 9

Charles Drost

Nov 8, 2017, 11:23:57 PM11/8/17

Hi everyone –

Couples Dance and Line Dance classes this Thursday, at the usual time and place -- Arizona Roadhouse, starting at 7:15 for Couples, Line Dance starting at 6:15 at Blendz, downtown on the Square...

For the Couples class, we'll be continuing with East Coast Swing.  We did mostly basics last week.  We'll do a quick review this week, then get into some more intermediate material.  Fun dance -- come out if you can!

Here is a review of what we covered last week:

**      Closed Basic:  Similar to most closed dance positions, with man's R hand up on his partner's shoulder blade -- remember, though, that you are in a more relaxed, "down in your knees" posture for East Coast Swing.

**      Throw-out (from Closed, to Open position):  After the rock-step, lead woman forward with your R hand, and lift your L hand for her to turn under -- for the woman, it is forward on the 1st triple-step, turn on the 2nd triple

**      Outside Underarm Turn (Woman): Off of the rock-step -- bring woman by your L side on 1 - 2, she turns on 3 - 4, then rock step 5, 6 [in this, and in most East Coast patterns, you are trading places on either side of the circle – the man moves past the woman as she moves past him]

**      Inside Underarm Turn (Woman): bring woman by R side on 1 - 2, she turns on 3 - 4, rock step 5, 6

**      Man’s Underarm Turn: keep lead / L hand out away from the woman (so she doesn't think she's supposed to turn); man steps under his L hand on 1 - 2, turns left on 3 - 4; rock step 5, 6

**      She-turns, He-turns  (combining the two patterns above):  Start from one-hand open position (man’s L, woman’s R);  1 - 2 -- raise L hand, bring woman by R side in underarm turn;  3 - 4 -- man keep L hand up (over his head), turn under your hand (counterclockwise – to L) to face woman;  5, 6 -- rock step

**      Arm Slide:  Man turns ¼ to L and turns Woman to her L, so they are R shoulder to R shoulder -- raise arms, place your R hand behind woman’s head & L hand behind your own head on 1 - 2, release hands, slide hands down from partner’s shoulder to R hand on 3 - 4, connect R to R for rock step 5, 6

**      Back Taps:  From cross-handed lead (from Arm Slide -- or other pattern that gets you to a R - R, cross-handed lead): Arms are out, man rotates his shoulders in (R) to touch his partner's shoulder with his L hand on the 1st triple, then rotates out / away on 2nd triple, so that woman turns in to touch his shoulder;  Repeat -- man rotates in on 3rd triple, touches woman's shoulder, man turns out, woman turns in on 4th triple so that she touches..., etc. (NOTE that you are not doing a rock-step in-between, while you are doing the 'back-taps' -- it is just triple-step, triple-step, triple-step, triple-step...)

Here is the Line Dance info, from Annette:

**      Beginners class this Thursday 11-9 at Blendz downtown 6:15-7:15  $3

**      Learn the basic steps and easy line dances!

**      You can park in the bank parking lots for now downtown if you don’t want to pay the parking meters!

**            Annette

Gary and Carol had another good East Coast Swing class this evening at "The Peaks." Gary will continue teaching on Wednesday evenings for the rest of the month, but Carol will be recuperating from knee surgery (Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery!)  The Wednesday class is worth checking out -- see the full details in Gary's note, appended at the end...

Hope to see you on the dance floor !

Couples Dance classes are 7:15 – 8:15 pm on Thursday evening at the Arizona Roadhouse, 2136 N Fourth Street, in Flagstaff.  Membership is $25 for the year for the Couples classes, and with membership, the weekly classes are free; for non-members, classes are $3.  **First time for either class is free**  There are also Line Dance classes on Tuesday and Thursday -- check with Annette Fallaha (email ann...@npgcable.com) on these classes.  Questions? – reply to this email, or call Charles at 556-7187.

From Gary:

WEDNESDAY we'll continue EAST COAST SWING. Great dance for many occasions.   To meet needs of both brand new dancers and those who have been dancing for a while, we’ll be teaching two classes, a beginning class and an advanced beginner/intermediate class. The first class will move at a much slower pace appropriate for those who are new to this dance or who have never danced before at all. The second class will progress at a faster pace, based on the assumption that dancers have a level of comfort with the basic footwork of the dance. You are welcome to come to one or both of the classes, depending on your needs and interests.  6:30 - 7:15 Beginning  dancers and those wanting more practice with basics.  Then at 7:15 - 8:15 we'll work on more advanced moves. Join us. Wed.at the PEAKS, 3150 N. Winding Brook Rd.  This year we're asking for a $2 donation per week to help the USA dance community bring top instructors to Flagstaff. Carol and Gary 928-853-6284