Don't know how to search Twitter for hits from a specific prior date, such as "2008", help?

Niklas Peterson

Dec 9, 2017, 9:01:17 AM12/9/17
to FireAnt-Discussion
Hi! I haven't read all the FAQs and manuals or tutorials yet, but I was tipped off by a professor to use FireAnt to get linguistic data for my research essay (Stockholm Uni), I am trying to prove the marked increase in hyperbole on the Internet in the past ten years, and I have already gotten a 240mb text file of current Twitter exchanges, don't know how I will put in line breaks in that data mess, but that's not the biggest problem; I don't know how to ask FireAnt to search Twitter for old entries, say in Spetember 2008? If I can get data from back then, and take a random sample of 100 tweets from both 2008 and 2017, I can compare exagerrations and get data that suggests a tone shift.

Any help would be appreciated, I have an entire week left for the deadline and I intend to use it well and hopefully get to know this fantastic tool. Glad for pointers for vintage Twitter-searching, as well as any tip for how to process the resulting .txt-file into a readable document... Was .txt the wrong output choice, perhaps?

Sincerely,
Niklas

Laurence Anthony

Dec 9, 2017, 9:25:46 PM12/9/17
to Niklas Peterson, FireAnt-Discussion
Hi,

Hi! I haven't read all the FAQs and manuals or tutorials yet...

I recommend that you read the Help page and then post any questions that aren't clear after that. But, note that FireAnt can only do historic Tweet collections for specific users (not search terms).

I hope that helps.

Laurence.