Text cut-off and character limits?

Alex Christiansen

Dec 6, 2017, 12:43:45 PM12/6/17
to FireAnt-Discussion

Hi there!

First of all, thank you so much for all the work you do to lessen the burden of corpus work - it is incredibly appreciated.

I'm currently doing some research into a particular type of discourse on twitter and have used FireAnt to compile my corpus of about 10.000 tweets, and I have run into an annoying setback:

Basically, it seems FireAnt is cutting off the tweets at some designated point - I'll wager that point is at 140 characters, having done some counting and stuff.

Now it is absolutely possible that I'm doing something wrong, but my honest guess would be that AntConc needs to be updated to take into account the new 280 character limit implemented on twitter in early November.

I realise that there seems to be an "extended tweet" parameter, but everytime I try to engage that I end up with the following result:

and that goes for about 9/10 tweets.

Any immediate way I can approach/circumvent this, or is a radical update of some kind necessary first?

Best,
Alex

Laurence Anthony

Dec 7, 2017, 12:35:30 AM12/7/17
to Alex Christiansen, FireAnt-Discussion
Hi Alex,

FireAnt simply returns what the Twitter API supplies. In this case, the main "text" parameter return a short form of the tweet. As you say there is a long form which you can access by selecting a different parameter . Recently, Twitter have started rolling out longer tweets by default so I recommend you check in the list of parameters to see if there is a more convenient one. I think the "full text" parameter is what you want to check.

Note also that retweets have their own extended tweet option so you need to check the parameters there, too, if you want the complete retweet.

I hope that helps.

(Also, Claire Hardaker can probably provide some more information on this as she uses the Twitter feed a lot).

Regards,

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

Alex Christiansen

Dec 10, 2017, 6:33:42 AM12/10/17
to FireAnt-Discussion
Hey Laurence,

The only solution I have found has been to simply request all of text and extended_tweet_full_text filter. Finally, neither of the two former filters draw in texts functioning as retweets, necessitating retweeted_status_extended_tweet_full_text. This works, but only partially, as it then means you end up exporting an insane number of "Not Found"'s as part of your text and need to manually remove them - it also means that you get both the uncompleted text (in text) and the completed text (from extended_tweet_full_text), which muddles frequencies by giving two texts - without them, though, you could be missing certain tweets.

I wish it was possible to make the program only get the *most* information available, i.e. if extended_tweet = true, ignore text or something like that. Am I missing something or does this functionality not exist?

Best,
Alex

Laurence Anthony

Dec 10, 2017, 6:51:18 AM12/10/17
to Alex Christiansen, FireAnt-Discussion
Hi,

I think it definitely needs more investigation, especially as the default now is to have an extended tweet. When I get some more time, I'll look into it. If you look at the Twitter API documentation, you may find the necessary entry, too.